Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
141,052 Views 786 Replies Last post: Nov 6, 2012 3:50 PM by Seal RSS Go to original post
  1 2 3 4 5 ... 53 Previous Next
Level 0 1 posts since
Jan 18, 2011
Currently Being Moderated
30. Jan 18, 2011 5:50 PM in response to: Craela
Re: Hello!  I'm new here. :)

Hello, I'm new, myself. 

Level 0 8 posts since
Oct 19, 2010
31. Jan 19, 2011 1:58 AM in response to: Ninian

Thank you for reading and commenting on the opening chapter, Pam. I really appreciate you taking the time to

do so. Also it's wonderful to get such a quick, positive response to to my first posting here.

I'm in the midst of editing the manuscript at the moment, after hiding it away for almost three months.

I agree with your point re POV. I rewriting that section at the moment. Thanks again.

Now on with the whirlwind of editing, in the faint hope of compeleting it before ABNA closes.

Good luck to you too.

And thanks once more.

Sean.

Level 0 3 posts since
Nov 29, 2010
32. Jan 19, 2011 12:22 PM in response to: Craela

I'm new here, too, though I've been around for 65 years.  Although I've done creative writing, my book, Letters From Out of the Blue:  The Correspondence of Guy O. Denton, USAAF, from North Africa during WWII, belongs to the non-fiction category.  My father, the writer of the letters, performed all the creative activity back in 1942-43 when he wrote to my mother.  All I did was transcribe and compile them into book form.  My purpose is not to make a lot of money (though I certainly would be okay with that) but to make available to a wider audience a captivating story of love and war, pain and loss, triumph and hope.  I desire that any who might enjoy the romance and adventure of a young fighter pilot writing from the lonely Western Desert of North Africa to his sweetheart back home will have a chance to connect with the wit, humor, and history contained in these epistles.  Maybe someone out there can help me make that connection, because I certainly don't know how to do it!

Level 5 13,400 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
33. Jan 19, 2011 12:25 PM in response to: RockyD

Once it is available, you may want to contact the WWII museum in New Orleans and the various avaiation museums around the world that have WWII planes on display as possible venues for your book.

Seal

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Level 0 3 posts since
Nov 29, 2010
34. Jan 19, 2011 12:55 PM in response to: Seal

Thanks, Seal.  I did send some pics to the New England Air Museum once.  Maybe I'll send them a copy of the book (or at least a press release!).

Level 5 13,400 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
35. Jan 19, 2011 1:05 PM in response to: RockyD

Yeah, with the press release you can tell them they can order directly from you and give them the option of  a 30% discount, returnable or a 40% discount non-returnable. The PR can also include a sample of a letter that shows some of the action your dad saw flying his P51 or whatever he flew. Include a copy for review or not. But at least include a image of the cover.

Seal

Oh, and make sure you address it to the curator of the museum.

Level 0 42 posts since
Jan 13, 2011
36. Jan 22, 2011 5:08 AM in response to: Craela

Yes, my nickname in certain circles is Soph.  I am in the first stage.  I submitted just the script and am waiting to hear from them.

My former editor told me it wasn't until the fourth chapter that I found my voice.  From then on it flowed, crackled an popped.   What does find your own voice mean?  The first three chapters was putting out a lot of information.  I still don't know what it meant, "You found your own voice?  I would ask my editor, but we are not speaking at the moment.

Level 0 42 posts since
Jan 13, 2011
37. Jan 22, 2011 5:15 AM in response to: RockyD

Perhaps you need to go back to the beginning and let us see their love affair, their home town, their families, some background.  Are they out of school?

what were they doing before the war, were they planning on getting married?  I suppose you could always incorporate flash backs, although I am not personally a fan of flash backs.  Sometimes they work.  Soph

Level 4 4,460 posts since
Feb 1, 2008
38. Jan 22, 2011 5:54 AM in response to: Soph

Voice is tough to define. If you Google "fiction voice" you'll come up with a list of places where they address it. This is an excellent one:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anis-shivani/voice-in-fiction-a-favori_b_553662.html  My thought is that 'voice' is when you write from the heart and don't think about grammar or spelling. You can come back to do that later.

Sometimes it's hard because the first chapters need to contain a lot of information for the reader so we can place them in the right setting. The book cover blurb can do a lot to help with that. For example, this is my back cover for my latest novel. Do you see how much information I'm giving the reader so she can choose or not choose to read my book?

In 2033, governments worldwide are bankrupt. There is no unemployment insurance, no social services or welfare, no pensions, and no health care subsidy. Unemployment sits at close to 60 percent, and those with jobs are the new elite.

Sheila Davenport owns a successful employment agency. When other agencies begin to go out of business, she attributes it to their inability to compete. Then she hears a hellish rumour: Sign with Davenport; they’ll find you a job even if they have to kill someone.

Other agency owners are murdered and the Davenport Agency comes under police scrutiny. Sheila investigates and uncovers a sinister plot.

Character voice is a lot easier because you can use it to show a lot of information about your characters, like education, attitude, etc. (You did a good job of that on Preview.)

Good luck!

Pam

Level 0 42 posts since
Jan 13, 2011
39. Jan 22, 2011 6:01 AM in response to: Ninian

Thank you for that info and I take a look at that website.  On line how does a person see what is written on the back of your book?

Level 4 4,460 posts since
Feb 1, 2008
40. Jan 22, 2011 6:08 AM in response to: Soph

On Amazon, it appears as Product Description. Example:  http://www.amazon.com/Agency-P-L-Crompton/dp/1453828478/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_3

Later, when the "Look Inside" function is in place (done by Amazon), a potential reader can look at the back cover blurb. Example:  http://www.amazon.com/Last-Druid-P-L-Crompton/dp/1434870030/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1#reader_1434870030

Hope that helps.

Pam

Level 3 735 posts since
May 10, 2008
41. Jan 22, 2011 6:36 AM in response to: Soph

Hi Soph

What do you mean by 'I would ask my editor, but we are not speaking at the moment.'? If you are not on good terms with your editor, find another one with whom you can speak openly.

As to voice, it means you have reached a stage in your writing where you are able to actually tell your story in your own style. You are not simply putting formulated words on paper in an awkward way any longer, but have developed a style that is uniquely your own. This is what a writer wants to hear, and this style makes the reader comfortable while reading your work.

Level 0 1 posts since
Jan 15, 2011
42. Jan 22, 2011 8:57 AM in response to: Craela

I'm new, too. Nickname is rod-h and am excited to enter this contest.  My first contest and first book - finished anyway.  Does anyone know how the formatting goes on the entries?  It says you're not supposed to have your name on the manuscript, pitch or exerpt.  I suspect there must be just an entry form with the identifier on it.

Level 0 42 posts since
Jan 13, 2011
43. Jan 22, 2011 12:19 PM in response to: rod-h

I don't know anything about contests.

Level 3 735 posts since
May 10, 2008
44. Jan 22, 2011 1:09 PM in response to: rod-h

Hi rod-h--welcome.

For the contest, you will have your own special entry section where you cut and paste your bio, and your pitch, and upload your excerpt and manuscript.

Everything is contained in it's own neat little entry so when they need to know who you are, they will.

For the formatting, do what the rules say: double space with no hard returns. For the excerpt and manuscript, make it like you would send to an agent (but without name). The bio and pitch will be basic with no italics or indents and this is done automatically--you can't change it.

Good luck!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...