Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
6,449 Views 7 Replies Last post: Mar 20, 2011 12:53 PM by walton RSS
Level 0 37 posts since
Dec 18, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 19, 2011 11:59 PM

CS PDF Preflight weirdness

I just checked a PDF with the CS Acrobat preflight profile and it noted 11 instances of images lower than 280 ppi. When I checked these the profile was interpreting portions of a text effect (the file was created using InDesign CS5) as a low resoultion image. Has anyone else seen this kind of thing?

Level 5 18,913 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
1. Mar 20, 2011 10:35 AM in response to: camppope
Re: CS PDF Preflight weirdness

If I'm not mistaken, to use a text effect (drop shadow, etc.) in InDesign, the text is rasterized. Thus it becomes an image.  That would explain why there would be a resolution, but it doesn't explain where in InDesign you set the ppi/dpi for that.

I'm sure Lighthouse will have an answer, but meanwhile check in InDesign for where you might be able to set the resolution.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help  GIMP tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy

Level 5 15,843 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
2. Mar 20, 2011 10:40 AM in response to: walton

What I always did in Pagemaker for shadowed text is to lay in one copy of the text in dark gray and then lay in a second copy of the text in the color I wanted as the primary color. It would be slightly up and to the left, generally, to give the shadowed effect. They were two separate Text units.

Seal

Sep 5, 2009
3. Mar 20, 2011 11:50 AM in response to: camppope

Somewhere at sometime, I tried type effects in InDesign and it said "rasterizing type."  I just tried it again. It did not say reasterizing, but the type appears to have been rasterized.

Using PDF/X-1a everything is 300dpi.

Using High Quality everything is 200dpi.

More interstesting is that CS does not like transparency and will reject files that contain transparency. But in Laurel's (CreateSpace) article on creating PDFs,  https://www.createspace.com/en/community/docs/DOC-1331, she says to use PDF/X-1a or High Quality (or Press Quality but not PDF/A-1a) but in this test, High Quality left transparency! And would thus be rejected.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help  GIMP tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy

Sep 5, 2009
5. Mar 20, 2011 12:18 PM in response to: camppope

But did you use PDF/X-1a? If not, what preset?

Walton

Sep 5, 2009
7. Mar 20, 2011 12:53 PM in response to: camppope

In this article, https://www.createspace.com/en/community/docs/DOC-1331, Laurel does tell us to use PDF/X-1a.  (But she also tells us to stay away from PDF/A-1a, which removes transparency  and where, ironically, High Quality (recommended several times) does not.

You will see several posts (about PDFs; bibliographic citation of CS printed books in a CS printed book; and our general member agreement re: selling at or above the Amazon list price versus discounts) where CS's language is simply contradictory and ambiguous.

In their defense, CS established a robust forum where many of these questions can be answered, albeit not formally (that is, from CS itself).  It is my belief that if CS answered everything it would have a 100 page submission guidelines (BookSurge's was 64 pages), and that would generate as many questions as having only a few pages. Also, if CS a 24/7 instant help feature . . .  well, in both cases, I could see them needing to bump the prices. BookSurge, for example, charged $95 per upload . . . even if the cause of the rejection was an error in their guidelines, that is, their fault; and BookSurge had a 3 week queue.

Help > PDF does not lead to Laurel's article, where there is the reference to PDF/X-1a, and the misleading High Quality and PDF/A references, but to a general description of using Acrobat in its last few versions.   (Why, one might ask, if you are indirectly recommending Acrobat Pro, would you recommend anything other than PDF/X-1a, which is a standard preset?)

Third party PDF conversion programs, for the most part, don't have any standard presets. For those that do, it is usually have PDF/A, which is singled out for explicit avoidance.   Go figure!

Walton

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...