Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
46,773 Views 3 Replies Last post: Apr 1, 2011 7:50 AM by walton RSS
Level 0 26 posts since
Oct 11, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 31, 2011 1:30 AM

Margins and Font Size for 6x9 Book

My book size will be 6x9 and I am needing to know the correct margins for this.  I have it set right now at 0.6 all the way around except for left margin which is set at 0.7.  The problem I see is that I have 46 typed pages and thought  with the margins it would stretch the pages out to about 75 pages, but it hasn't.  Any suggestions?

Level 3 502 posts since
Oct 15, 2008
1. Apr 1, 2011 12:20 AM in response to: ForJay
Re: Margins and Font Size for 6x9 Book

If you want to stretch out the content to more pages, you could of course try a bigger font but it might make your book look like an 'easy reading' childrens book. Alternatively, you could keep the same font size but increase the spacing between the lines of text. In the Word 'Paragraph' dialog you could change the 'Line spacing' from 'Single' to 'Multiple at 1.2'. Or, just write more stuff ;-)

More tips and tricks in Book Publishing DIY at http://publishingdiy.blogspot.com/p/book.html

Level 4 1,473 posts since
Mar 19, 2010
2. Apr 1, 2011 4:50 AM in response to: ForJay

For a 6" x 9" format the settings are: top, bottom, rightside, 0.7"  mirrored margins, Inside margin is set depending on how many pages you have

Page CountInside MarginOutside Margins
24 to 150 pages.375"at least .25"
151 to 400 pages.75at least .25"
400 to 600 pages.875"at least .25"
More than 600 pages1.0"at least .25"
set your line spacing to exzactly 16pt. headers and footers are 0.5"

use a larger font for more pages or you can reduce your book size to 8.25" x 8"

Ricocrossfire

http://www.justaddfictionbooks.com

Level 5 19,560 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Apr 1, 2011 7:50 AM in response to: ForJay

Take a look at Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book.  It shows how you can easly change the number of word on a page, using margins, font, type size, and leading. It may also answer many of your other questions. It also has a small font book, which will show you how different typefaces use more or less space.

There is no perfect font, margin, or leading. There is no one-size fits all layout. If you want that--your book designed to one of a three or four layouts--use CS's design service. Otherwise, work on your design, Build Your Book will help . . . unlike a lot of little offers here lately, it's 98 pages of information, not a come-on.  The typos in it are free too.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help  GIMP tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...