Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
363,647 Views 810 Replies Last post: Apr 23, 2014 12:15 AM by Bennylaoshi RSS Go to original post
  1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 55 Previous Next
Level 0 2 posts since
Apr 12, 2011
Currently Being Moderated
420. Apr 15, 2011 11:52 AM in response to: Seal
Re: PDF conversion and submission problems?

Thanks. I tried Statement, but it still wasn't right. So I got a new  piece of software called Smart PDF Creator, which has many, many sizes,  and it worked on the first try.

VIC13

Level 5 13,389 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
421. Apr 15, 2011 11:55 AM in response to: VIC13

Glad I could help, sorry it wasn't the right answer.

Seal

Level 5 14,264 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
422. Apr 15, 2011 12:57 PM in response to: VIC13

Just for those following this thread: Last year I tested a number of free conversion programs, converting to a 6 x 9 trim size, because that seemed at the time a problematic size.  Most worked, one did not. Several CS members had work-arounds, some worked some did not. Reading through the threads, some members swore by the conversion program that had failed for me; while other swore at the conversion programs that worked for me.

My conclusions were this:

1. Some conversions fail because people don't know how to do them.
  2. Some conversions fail because the source file, usually Word, is corrupted.
  3. Some free conversion programs work very well, some do not: this appears to be an application conflict.

If a conversion program fails to produce a good PDF, make a dummy file, same trim size, with clean text. Try formatting it the same way that had failed.

• If it works, your source file might be corrupt. Sometimes a bad page can mess things up, sometimes a bad ¶, the formatting information is "in" the ¶ marks. Find the bad one, remove it, and you could be okay.
  • If it does not work, double check the instructions and carefully try again. If it still does not work, download a different free conversion program and try. Why spend days trying to make an incompatible program work?

The PDF plug-in for Word 2003, sucks. Period. The PDF conversion program for Word 2010 seems to work well. OpenOffice has a very good export to PDF feature. Some people who work in Word, open their formatted files in OpenOffice then export to PDF.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help  GIMP tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy

Level 0 200 posts since
Jan 5, 2010
423. Apr 20, 2011 10:28 AM in response to: SD26

I downloaded open Office and save my file. I can open it there. But when I choose "save as" then save it in my documents as an HTML file, it isn't there when I try to browse to it to upload it to Amazon. What am I doing wrong?

Level 3 735 posts since
May 10, 2008
424. Apr 20, 2011 3:59 PM in response to: Flippper

Flippper, one quick, easy thing to check first: when you save your file, make sure it's in the folder you want. Sometimes we save to places we don't intend. This may not help, but you never know.

Barb

Level 0 1 posts since
May 7, 2011
425. May 7, 2011 2:10 PM in response to: SD26

I am having trouble converting/changing my documents to PDF?? Help??

Level 4 1,483 posts since
Mar 19, 2010
426. May 7, 2011 2:58 PM in response to: CarlieW

What are you using? word, open office?

Ricocrossfire

http://www.justaddfictionbooks.com

Level 0 3 posts since
Apr 22, 2011
427. May 7, 2011 4:29 PM in response to: SD26

I've put up two books so far with no major problems.

I decided to get fancy and use a b&w graphic of the book title in the interior file title page.

It was created in Photoshop Elements as a .psd and then converted to .jpeg at the highest resolution. I checked the size of both images in Elements and it said they were 300 dpi. When I submitted the file to CreateSpace, I got an email back saying the image was 197 to 199 dpi and they recommended 300.

So I went back and made a new version at 400 dpi, according to Photoshop. I just checked the .jpeg and Photoshop says it's 400 dpi. I inserted it into the Word document full-size. CreateSpace sent me the same message on this vesion--197 to 199 dpi.

What am I missing here?

Thanks for your help.

Level 3 735 posts since
May 10, 2008
428. May 7, 2011 6:31 PM in response to: liblit

liblit,

This is for Adobe:

Go into your PDF document; Go to Edit; Preferences; Page Display and Resolution. You can choose the system setting, or a custom resolution.

Hope this solves your problem.

Barb

Level 0 3 posts since
Apr 22, 2011
429. May 7, 2011 6:52 PM in response to: Galadriel

Thanks much.

Hopefully that solves the problem.

(Serves me right for getting fancy)

Level 1 21 posts since
May 11, 2011
430. May 17, 2011 2:20 PM in response to: liblit
Keep in mind, Word will automatically compress all images contained in your  document unless you manually turn that feature off.

To check:

Open your document, then Save As > Word Document (but don't save it,  yet).

Down to the left of the Save button, click Tools > Compress Pictures  > Options

Is there a check mark next to Automatically Perform Basic Compression on  Save? If so, that may be your problem.

Uncheck that box > Ok > Ok and go ahead and Save the document to the  very same file name. Auto Compress is now turned off for this one document.

Replace all images with uncompressed images and re-Save as you would  usually do (you do not need to use Save As anymore).

If you still get low-res images in your PDF, it is probably the software  you are using to convert Word to PDF (don't let Word do it for you, use other software).

On any new Word document that contains images that you do not want  compressed, make sure you turn the Auto Compress feature off when you first do a  Save As.

George

Level 0 79 posts since
Sep 24, 2009
431. May 17, 2011 2:55 PM in response to: CarlieW

I use Microsoft Word 2000 and set up my manuscript the way I want to see it in print.  (Set the margins, justification, drop caps, front pages, back pages, etc) Then I use a free PDF converter (there are many available, do a Google search for Free PDF Converter) and it converts my files to PDF format.

After I download the PDF files, I go through them page by page to see if anything has changed from the original Word file.  I do the same thing with the cover.  Hope this helps.  (I REALLY hope mine flies !!!)

Level 0 14 posts since
Dec 2, 2009
432. May 30, 2011 8:35 PM in response to: NoelRebray

NoelRebray - THANK YOU for supplying a simple answer to my pdf issues!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Level 0 79 posts since
Sep 24, 2009
433. May 31, 2011 4:20 AM in response to: Barefoot.Writer

Hi Barefootwriter:  You are welcome !  Any way that I can help I'll be glad to do so.

BTW please check out my preview for "Death and Deep Waters" and "Corpses and Canyons".

Comments are graciously accepted.

Level 0 8 posts since
Sep 24, 2009
434. Jun 1, 2011 5:58 PM in response to: walton

Hello, I have been trying to convert my story on a 2000 word doc to a pdf file., using the latest edition of Adobe reader. I used the 5.25 x8 template and after a days work I was able to figure out how to use all the margins to make it 4 x 6 print size. But when I converted the word doc to pdf, createspace said it was still a 8 x 11 size. I measured the print size on the pdf at 100%, it was 4 x 6 inches. so I dont know what I'm doing wrong.The blank space around the print is large but the print is confined to 4 x 6. Maybe the total space has to be trimmed to fit the book which is 5.25 x 8 but I dont know how to do that.I tried to find help on Adobe but those people are far too smart talking about all kinds of complicated stuff.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...