Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

35,805 Views 17 Replies Last post: May 18, 2011 8:15 PM by Marselsc RSS
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 0 14 posts since
Apr 19, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 26, 2011 4:13 PM

Photoshop to PDF - file too big

I'm using CreateSpace's Photoshop template for my book cover, and following their instructions for creating a PDF, which is print quality settings, with no downsampling. However, when I do this, my 40meg PSD file becomes a 100 meg PDF!  I thought PDFs were meant to be smaller...?

The only way I can get the PDF to be less than 40 meg is if I turn on the downsampling.

Are there any other ways to keep my PDF under the allowed 40 megs while still keeping it print quailty?

thanks!

Jody K

Level 5 15,307 posts since
May 4, 2008
1. Apr 26, 2011 4:28 PM in response to: JodyKihara
Re: Photoshop to PDF - file too big

Easy peasy.

Make a copy of your PSD. Put it somewhere safe.

Then flatten all the layers in your PSD before saving to PDF. Because Photoshop PDF files are editable and retain all the layers, the file size is usually about the same as the PSD file. Flattening the PSD removes all the editable data, reducing the file size dramatically.

Michelle

----------

bookow.com -- painless print and ebook formatting, custom cover design, and professional editing services

Level 5 19,049 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Apr 26, 2011 4:31 PM in response to: JodyKihara

Save your Photoshop file as a JPG (maximum quality, minimum compression) and convert that file to a PDF.  Save a flattened copy of your file as a PDF and use the compress to JPG and save a flattened copy of your file. As long as your there, select the PDF/X-1a preset.  It sounds like you're saving all the layers.

You can reduce the quality to the low end of Maximum (say 90%, or 10 or 11 on PS's scale of 1-12) and you shouldn't notice any degredation in the image.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help  GIMP tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy

Sep 5, 2009
3. Apr 26, 2011 4:33 PM in response to: lipmag

I've been with PS since ver 4, but I haven't moved up from CS3; it is my understanding that Adobe didn't introduce easy peasy until CS4 . . . although this could be a 32 bit versus 64 bit issue as well.

W

May 4, 2008
4. Apr 26, 2011 4:38 PM in response to: walton

I've been with PS since version 5, then 7, then CS2, CS3 and CS5. IIRC, the easy peasy "flatten image" and "merge layers" options have always been there.

Michelle

----------

bookow.com -- painless print and ebook formatting, custom cover design, and professional editing services

May 4, 2008
7. Apr 26, 2011 4:45 PM in response to: JodyKihara

Glad that worked for you.

Another very good reason to flatten all the layers is that if your PDF contains layers, elements can slip out of place when CS prints the file. I don't really understand how or why that happens, but people have reported the problem in this forum when they receive their proof and discovered things have moved.

Michelle

----------

Sep 5, 2009
8. Apr 26, 2011 5:01 PM in response to: lipmag

Yeah, flatten and merge (4 was the first PS with layers) . . . but not easy peasy.  But then you're on Mac, so that could explain it.

W

Sep 5, 2009
10. Apr 26, 2011 5:10 PM in response to: JodyKihara

Consider changing browsers.

Some work for some people and not for others.  Firefox seems to be the most consistent, although some people can't get it to work for them. When I use IE none of the interactive things work.

Ah . . .no easy peasy on Mac . . . maybe Michelle was just teasing . . .

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help  GIMP tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy

Level 0 2 posts since
May 18, 2011
12. May 18, 2011 4:40 AM in response to: walton

I just found this forum this morning - thansk for the postings. I have the same problem - a 2 meg .jpg being saved as a .pdf in Photoshop grows to 14 megs and clogs the inboxes.  I tried to flatten the .jpg image, but the option is grayed out.  Can someone give this newbie a step by step, please?
Thanks

Level 0 2 posts since
May 18, 2011
14. May 18, 2011 3:30 PM in response to: JodyKihara

Thanks for the reply - I volunteer for a non-profit child development organization.  Children in several South American countries write letters and draw pictures for their sponsors inthe United States.  The letters are scanned and emailed as .jpg and I, in turn, send them to volunteer translators.  Several of these volunteers prefer .pdf over .jpg for their work - I try to accomodate their computer environments.  Perhaps with this explanation, you may have some other ideas to offer?

Thanks

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...