Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
308 Views 236 Replies Last post: Jun 9, 2011 9:52 AM by CreateSpaceKate RSS Go to original post
  1 2 3 4 ... 16 Previous Next
Level 0 280 posts since
Jan 9, 2011
Currently Being Moderated
15. May 24, 2011 8:16 AM in response to: MountainMist
Re: Tag My Book On Amazon -- List

All tagged and liked for new additions on May 20th.

Craela

Level 0 80 posts since
Jan 8, 2011
16. May 24, 2011 8:44 AM in response to: GeekGirl

As I have always been told, honesty is the best policy.

On this 'liking' I have like I said previously clicked 'like' on MANY books and I have tagged so many MORE books here on this topic and others more than even was required to help and assist the other writers.  I do go by their preferred tagged when I click on the tags.  I also do by the way click on as many tags as I am allowed to but they stop at 15 and I also do go to the next page and see what other keywords they had.  I go over the list to make sure I didn't miss any.  There are some books here that I really like and would buy and there are others that I would not (which is normal).

The topic line here is 'tagging' and I thought this topic was about tagging and that we were to tag each other books.  If I had known it would be turning into a like the books you don't like, I would not have entered into this topic.

In addition, PM (Private messages) are there for a reason and if someone has an issue with something in someone's post, then why don't they just send them a PM and try to work things out PRIVATELY and not in the public forum view where others can read it.

Level 0 280 posts since
Jan 9, 2011
17. May 24, 2011 9:17 AM in response to: wayside

While I hear you on the private PM's,  Wayside, you weren't exactly private in declaring that you don't like everyone's books and therefore shouldn't have to click "like" on all of them.   I appreciate honesty too, but that whole first thing you posted could have been sent to MM privately.  Not in public where people could get offended, or disgruntled by disregard for the rules.  Who wants to read about someone not wanting to like a book based on a description?  It's not as though the description alone makes the whole book.  But we didn't actually agree to buy each other's books, just support each other with likes and tags so we can get more traffic.  Even if we may not actually "like" the sound of the book, someone else of like mind may be impressed and want to buy the book.

Again, MHO, take it or leave it as you will.

Craela

Level 0 28 posts since
Jun 5, 2010
18. May 24, 2011 10:09 AM in response to: GeekGirl

ok, I am showing my ignorance here. I thought that clicking the like button on amazon puts a link to that book on my facebook. I was not comfortable having links to books I don't know anything about on my FB.

I am starting to suspect that my assumption was wrong..... Please enlighten me. Does the like button on amazon have anything to do with FB? If so, how (where) does it show up there? If not, I have no problem liking all books on the list, regardless.

Level 0 144 posts since
Feb 5, 2010
19. May 24, 2011 1:58 PM in response to: Craela

Craela has beautifully stated what seemed to me was always the purpose of this marvelous thread -- support each other and get more traffic for our books. These days that has come to mean tagging and liking. Period.

And since MM has nothing else to do, perhaps she needs to start another thread.' Like My Book On Amazon.' Maybe somebody could send Wayside a PM and see if she'd like to join.

Earl

Level 0 225 posts since
Jun 15, 2010
20. May 24, 2011 1:58 PM in response to: buttonsandcastles

The "like" button on Amazon has absolutely nothing to do with FB, so don't worry about that part of it.

It also, to reiterate, has absolutely nothing to do with affecting your sales, or your standing on Amazon. It is Amazon's way to try to figure out what kinds of things you do like, so that they can suggest similar products to you, the person who clicked on the "like" button.

There has never been any rule, or declaration, stating that "liking" is mandatory. It's not, especially as it does not help you out as an author in any way. The only possible way it can have any influence is if someone goes to your page and notices the like button, and see's that it has a high number next to it, and doesn't know it's true purpose. All of that is a pretty big IF. Also, there is no possible way to check whether people are clicking it, because it is for Amazon's information only, and is private to the person clicking it.

A far better way to try to generate sales, rather than worrying about the "like' button is to make sure you have plenty of reviews. Those are going to influence potential readers far more than any like button. The tags are the only thing that - we think/hope - helps to send your book higher up the search lists, which is why we are all here. I do wish Amazon would incorporate a rating system similar to that of B&N, where someone can rate your book without having to write a review. Now that would help push sales!

Wayside, I understand your thoughts about PM's. However, it's helpful to have people post questions, comments, ideas, in the thread so that everyone can read and maybe learn something they didn't know previously. And, in the case of mrblunt responding to your comment on here, it gives others a chance to chime in with their thoughts/opinions as well. That's how this thread came to be as successful as it is, and to be run with a small group of us helping out, checking profiles to make sure everyone is doing their part, etc.

Hope this info about the like button, and posting on the thread helps you.

Cindy

Level 0 225 posts since
Jun 15, 2010
21. May 24, 2011 2:02 PM in response to: pdogg

Bought your book, pdogg. As soon as I finish the ones in front of it that I'm reading for others, I will get to it and post a review for you. Sounds like a great book - especially to this mom of a soldier serving in Germany, who's already had a tour in Iraq, in the USAF. Thanks for the discount!

Cindy

Level 0 28 posts since
Jun 5, 2010
22. May 24, 2011 2:13 PM in response to: GeekGirl

Yes, thanks, that was very helpful. I am enligtened now . ..lol

Well, I'll gladly like books from now on even if it doesn't do much.  No big deal.

Level 0 223 posts since
Feb 22, 2009
23. May 24, 2011 5:36 PM in response to: MountainMist

Hi Mountian Mist and Everyone

I've tagged the new books for this week.  I'm number 40-43, In The Land Of Winter and Learning In The Dark by Margaret Sarah Bechtel.

Thank you

M

Level 0 138 posts since
Jan 27, 2010
24. May 24, 2011 8:36 PM in response to: MountainMist

ATU for the 5/20 list. Sorry, I'm late again this week. I'm off on another book signing tour and just haven't had the time to sit and catch up on things. Having a ball on the tour, sold over 100 copies of THREE HUNDRED ZEROES at one event. My wrist aches from all the signing.

I never dreamed this book would take off like it has. I also never intended a second book, but based on how things are going, I guess I will.

The next one will be about an event that hasn't happened yet. The first book is about my Appalachian Trail hike, the next will be about my wife and I walking the Camino de Santiago Pilgrimage Trail in Spain.

Unlike fiction, a non-fiction adventure writer has to go off and have the adventure first. Amanda Hocking is making me jealous, all she has to do is dream up her stories. Then again, if you've been following the news lately, some of the non-fiction writers have been doing the same

Thanks to CreateSpace, MountainMist and all that make this experience so interesting and fun...

Dennis "K1" Blanchard  @k1ypp

Author of: Three Hundred Zeroes: Lessons of the Heart on the Appalachian Trail

A non-fiction adventure travel story on the Appalachian Trail

Finalist in the 2010 Next Generation Indie Book Awards Contest

Available on Amazon.com, Smashwords and Kindle.

Level 0 94 posts since
Dec 9, 2010
25. May 25, 2011 5:49 AM in response to: k1ypp

Congratulations, Dennis!!!! Good going!!!

Level 0 23 posts since
Apr 1, 2009
26. May 25, 2011 6:18 AM in response to: MountainMist

Tagged and Liked

Thank You,

BTW: here's my brand new Photo Blog with daily pictures of New York City: nydaily.tumblr.com

Level 1 233 posts since
Feb 15, 2010
27. May 25, 2011 6:31 AM in response to: k1ypp

That is so awesome and uplifting.  What an accomplishment.   It is great to hear positive stories like yours.

Congratulations Dennis!

Level 0 65 posts since
Jun 12, 2010
28. May 25, 2011 7:27 AM in response to: MountainMist

Just remembered. All tagged up.

-Jeff

Level 0 140 posts since
Mar 6, 2010
29. May 27, 2011 7:11 AM in response to: jeffm

A general question I need help with...

Anyone on this thread who has made a video book trailer and is willing to impart tips in how to go about doing this (software to use, file sizes and type that works best for fast loading, etc.) please PM me or email me directly at ****************  I need help and y'all (You all) are such an intelligent group. Surely one of you can give me some guidance.

Tarrant Smith

Author of the Darkly Series

www.tarrantsmith.webs.com

Message was edited by CreateSpace Community Moderators

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...