Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
15,920 Views 10 Replies Last post: May 31, 2011 8:59 AM by Bran RSS
Level 0 21 posts since
Jun 13, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 22, 2011 5:58 PM

Donating a portion of profits - question

Hi

I am producing a itty bitty book based on Emmet Fox's 7 Day Mental Diet.  I am thinking about donating an amount of the profits - let's say $1 from each book sold - to a charity.  Haven't decided on it yet.  Anyone know how you do that - or how it works?

Besides the obvious benefit of knowing you're giving back, I figure it's also good pr.

Has anyone tried that?

I interviewed a bunch of people for my book and a few of them do donate a percentage of all profits to certain charities.

Level 5 7,671 posts since
May 4, 2008
1. Feb 22, 2011 6:08 PM in response to: sunmoonandcompass
Re: Donating a portion of profits - question

There are charities, especially the bigger ones, that require you apply for permission to fundraise on their behalf. This is even more important when it comes to marketing -- they don't want to be seen as endorsing anyone's book without their approval. And forget about using the charity's logo anywhere associated with your book without their explicit written permission.

You can, however, send them a cheque every now and again without too much hassle.

As far as CS is concerned, you can't split up your royalty payments to direct a portion straight to the charity's account. You must collect the royalties in full, pay whatever taxes are required, and then give the desired amount of your royalty to the charity as a personal donation.

Michelle

----------

bookow.com -- painless print and ebook formatting, custom cover design, and professional editing services

Level 5 12,993 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
2. Feb 22, 2011 8:11 PM in response to: sunmoonandcompass

There are two "right" ways to go about this:

1. Partner with a charity up-front, and with their blessing and agreement, determine exactly what you'll advertise and do relative to donating your proceeds (and how you'll account for it).  Then carry it out precisely as planned.

2.  Don't say anything up-front about contributing your proceeds to charity.  Just donate a portion of your profits as desired.  If you get some favorable publicity from it on the back end, then that's an unexpected bonus.

As lipmag mentioned, charities are sensitive about how they are associated with commercial products and promotions, so mentioning a specific charity without their okay could result in a lawsuit.  Further, most states have a toll-free hotline for charity fraud -- so if someone questions whether you've really donated the dollars you promised, it may result in your accounting records being audited and fines imposed for any irregularities.  Finally, advertising that you're donating to a charity can change and limit the tax deductions you might receive for the related contributions (so you'll want to determine that before you set numbers).

Bottom line, there can be unexpected consequences if you don't go about this correctly.  So if the charity link is a critical piece of your marketing strategy, then partner up and plan in advance -- if giving to a worthwhile cause is the real objective, then keep it simple and just quietly do that.

Hope that helps.  Best wishes.

Level 1 232 posts since
Feb 15, 2010
4. Feb 23, 2011 10:22 AM in response to: sunmoonandcompass

Hi there!

I donate some of the proceeds from all of my book sales to animal rescue groups; however, I don't give out the names of the organizations, as I don't have any agreements with a particular one.  I donate to quite a few different ones each month. I have been setting a goal each year for donations and just try to make sure I reach that goal. Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Liz

Level 5 12,993 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
5. Feb 23, 2011 10:43 AM in response to: Ria11

Good for you!  I do this, too, and (with the permission of the charity involved) will often notify the media when I'm actually about to present the check to the charity -- so both the charity and I get free publicity.  I'm just saying I wouldn't advise announcing in advance that profits from sales will be donated to a charity -- unless a specific charity has given their blessing to that, solid accounting procedures are in place, and there is an absolute commitment to following through with the action no matter what.

Level 1 232 posts since
Feb 15, 2010
6. Feb 23, 2011 10:46 AM in response to: Lighthouse24

I agree with you.  Unless you have the permission of the charity, I wouldn't use their name.  Too many legal implications.  It's easier (and safer) just to donate without revealing the rescue group name, unless you have their blessing!

Level 0 1 posts since
Apr 8, 2011
7. Apr 8, 2011 12:57 PM in response to: sunmoonandcompass

There is a non-profit that lets you do something like this, basically through social media called Goodmention.org

They generate donations through the Amazon affiliate program.. Kinda cool.

Level 0 14 posts since
Oct 1, 2009
8. May 26, 2011 12:52 PM in response to: sunmoonandcompass

Depending upon what kind of book you are selling, I have done many presentations on the Morro Castle ship disaster of 1934 off the New Jersey coast, and I usually donate a copy of my companion book to the museum, historical society, or other group I'm giving the lecture to. I sell that book there as well, with the permission of the group, in advance. (I give the lecture for free sometimes, if it's close to home and I can sell my book there).

I've seen some people advertise something like, "Portions of proceeds to be donated to local charities". No one nor any amounts are specified that way.

Otherwise, I'd follow the advice given above and just cut a check afterward and donate it.

Voices Over The Moon by Gary S. Crawford

A Brief History Of The Morro Castle Ship Disaster Of 1934 by Gary S.Crawford

http://garyscrawford.com 

Level 1 82 posts since
Oct 4, 2010
9. May 26, 2011 2:21 PM in response to: sunmoonandcompass

I am gearing up to do this very thing. 

Level 1 36 posts since
Apr 20, 2011
10. May 31, 2011 8:59 AM in response to: sunmoonandcompass

Thank you for putting this question out there. The book I'm working on now is about my youngest daughter  and how she deals with her brother having brain cancer. I too want to donate a portion of the sales to an organization that helped us in our time of need. This thread has good info!

Bran

http://www.createspace.com/3600108  

www.BrandiMarinezKosemund.com

www.Amazon.com

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...