Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
363,322 Views 805 Replies Last post: Mar 31, 2014 10:22 AM by heavnmsg RSS Go to original post
  1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 54 Previous Next
Level 5 14,256 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
Currently Being Moderated
540. Nov 8, 2011 7:07 AM in response to: RHUSHgrrrl
Re: PDF conversion and submission problems?

Look at a bad page in the PDF, now print the same page in the Word file.  Do they look the same or different--is the Word file right and the PDF wrong? or are they both actually off?

Walton

Level 0 3 posts since
Mar 25, 2011
541. Nov 8, 2011 3:26 PM in response to: SD26

I'm a first timer and am having formatting problems. My book is mostly artwork, with some text. Cartoons, one on each page with a caption. I downloaded and used the template from create space, but when I try to conver to a pdf it doesn't convert all of the pages. It usualy converts the first 8 pages which are text with titles, copyrights, endorsements etc. The artwork doesn't convert. I'm sure it has to be me....what am I doing wrong.

Thanks so much,

Sep 5, 2009
542. Nov 8, 2011 3:40 PM in response to: Starsister7

Although you didn't way what programs you working in, let me suggest that if you have free conversion program, http://www.dopdf.com,http://www.primopdf.com, http://www.pdf995.com/, http://www.cutepdf.com/, even http://www.openoffice.org / http://www.libreoffice.org, most work, and work well, but some don't. Which ones don't relates, I think, to software conflicts. If you're using one of these, try a different conversion program.

What format is your art work in?  That could be a problem (I'm just speculating, but I have to believe that some native file formats might not work well for conversions.) I would avoid PNG, although I like them, they can be problematic in PDFs;  JPG's and TIFFs are the most often used formats, and PDF generally save in one or the other.

Walton

Level 0 3 posts since
Mar 25, 2011
543. Nov 8, 2011 4:27 PM in response to: walton

Thanks for such a quick reply. I used photohop cs4 and then converted the artwork to jpg and then inserted those into the template. I work on an IMac. I then went to print to save the pdf. I have an option for a pdf or pdf-x. I tried both. I read on create space that the pdf-x is better for quality. Should I go ahead and download the conversion program that you suggested?

Thanks again.

Level 5 11,782 posts since
May 4, 2008
544. Nov 8, 2011 4:46 PM in response to: Starsister7

Libre Office is more reliable on the Mac than Open Office, in my experience. OO would crash constantly. If you have Pages, I recommend that over LO, OO and MS Word any day.

Most of the free PDF conversion software mentioned are PC only, but you don't need them anyway. Libre Office can convert to PDF without third party software, or use the Mac's built-in PDF printer.

Michelle

----------

bookow.com -- painless print and ebook formatting, custom cover design, and professional editing services

Level 0 4 posts since
Nov 1, 2011
545. Nov 9, 2011 4:43 AM in response to: SD26

I am presently interior formatting my book in Word 2007 - originally written in a much earlier version. My formatting appears to work nicely when published to .pdf and read in Adobe reader. However, I downloaded a copy of Adobe digital to check the formatting and it publishes with font and text sizes all over the show! I have purged the entire file; switched off all word auto-format and re-formatted manually in a new file - no matter how many times I do this, Adobe digital STILL reads a complete mess!

Does anyone have any experience with this? I can only imagine my original document is somehow corrupt, even though I've copy pasted it into notepad in order to purge all the original formatting.

Thank you.

Lobo66

Sep 5, 2009
546. Nov 9, 2011 7:28 AM in response to: Lobo66

Why are you checking with Adobe Digital? 

I'm sure someone else has experience with it, I used the Adobe Digital Reader a couple of times when it first came out. I would assume, that if you're PDF looks fine and looks like your original Word file, and if you're going to upload it to CS, then it should print just as you see it in Acrobat Reader.  Just an assumption, I could be very wrong.

Walton

Level 0 4 posts since
Nov 1, 2011
547. Nov 9, 2011 9:22 AM in response to: walton

I'm trying to format for all e-pub options so that I can publish with iPad etc. So I'm testing the same .pdf files I've formatted for CS in digital to see if they read OK. Not a chance, the font changes styles and sizes no matter how many times I purge all the formatting. Driving me nuts!

Level 5 13,375 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
548. Nov 9, 2011 9:27 AM in response to: Lobo66

OpenOffice has an extension that converts directly to ePub without a table of contents. Smashwords will take your DOC file and convert it into a bunch of formats including ePub and Kindle, but you need to do some preliminary work such as creating interior file links for the TOC.

I offer these as options to attempting to convert your PDF.

Seal

FREE OpenOffice Interior & Cover Templates available at:

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Level 5 11,782 posts since
May 4, 2008
549. Nov 9, 2011 12:40 PM in response to: Lobo66

I've found that any conversion to ePub from another file, whether that be PDF, OO, Pages, InDesign etc, needs some cleaning up of the HTML before it's ready to publish. Especially conversions from PDF.

Download Sigil (free), edit the ePub code, and then check it out in Adobe Digital Editions.

Michelle

----------

bookow.com -- painless print and ebook formatting, custom cover design, and professional editing services

Level 0 3 posts since
Mar 25, 2011
550. Nov 9, 2011 6:37 PM in response to: walton

Okay, I got the jpgs to conver to a pdf, but the quality of the artwork suffered badly. How can I convert to pdf without losing sharpness and color.

Carolyn

Sep 5, 2009
551. Nov 10, 2011 11:59 AM in response to: Starsister7

Sharpness:

If your images were sharp prior to converting, and you convert to JPG maximum quality, you should be fine. There are two places where you might convert to JPG, in Photoshop and when you convert to a PDF. In some programs maximum is 10-12 (as in Photoshop), or 85% (some other programs). Did you print out your work (original and pdf)? Or did only look at it on your monitor?

Converting to PDF also can let you downsize (300dpi to say 96 dpi) and that would cause your images to go soft.  Some programs offer downsizing as an option, and most of them default to no downsizing. However, some versions of Word downsize unless you tell it not to; and Word 20010's Save as PDF feature downsizes.

Color:

If you used PDF/X your work was converted from RGB to CMYK. For most consumer goods, sRGB (a version of RGB) is now the universal color mode. It is much bigger than than CMYK.  Therefore there are lots of colors in RGB that cannot be shown in CMYK, they are called out-of-gamut. Comparing the same image in RGB and just converted to CMYK, can be disheartening. But almost all color printing we've grown up seeing is CMYK.  We accept the compression/conversion.  You can do two things (this is the short version):

1. You can color correct the CMYK version and it will print beautifully by CS.
  2. You can leave the image in RGB and CS will print it beautifully. 

The difference for me when I've tested this, is 45-90 minutes spent correcting the CMYK conversion, which was a complete waste of time because the RGB version printed just as well. Note: I am not saying you don't spend time working on your images in the first place; I am not saying that this will work for any other printer.  (Things can go wrong in the printing either way.  The forum is mostly about problems, so you can easily locate posts about the problems. My experience printing hundred of color images through CS is that very good and positive.)

Walton

Level 0 10 posts since
Jun 12, 2010
552. Nov 16, 2011 2:50 PM in response to: SD26

I am using Word 2003 and converting to pdf using Adobe Reader 6.1.  All the conversions go well.  When I submitted my first book, the

cover was exactly as submitted.  For my next book (which had a very similar cover design as the first) the pdf file looked good on this end

but when it got converted by CS, the images on the cover of the book got  moved around.  Even some wording that was cut out of the converted pdf document found its way onto the cover.  Any clue as to why the file submitted in Adobe 6.0 gets rearranged in unpredictable ways on the CS end?  Any solutions?  I am going to try and save the whole file in WORD as one object, then convert to pdf, then submit the new cover and hope it remains in one piece.

Sep 5, 2009
553. Nov 16, 2011 2:51 PM in response to: Starman10

First, I would complain to Customer Support. We have a strong satisfaction guarantee: https://www.createspace.com/Special/Help/Rights/Guarantee.jsp that we must exercise.

. . . the pdf file looked good on this end but when it got converted by CS, the images on the cover of the book got  moved around. . . .

I, of course, can't see the before and after (you could post them in the Preview Galler, https://www.createspace.com/pub/community/browse.gallery.do) but if your description is accurate, there is no excuse for anything to be moved anywhere.  Not even 0.0001". Period.  I can understand if your cover were off center on a large 13 x 19 canvas, and CS graciously centered it; but I don't think they should.  Because just like the issue of color variance and judicial advocacy, it's great when it enhances your work or supports your beliefs, but it sucks when it turns your work into crap or runs counter to your beliefs.  The answer: if something does not pass review, stop it, send a review letter, and let the author, designer, publisher fix it.

I hope you will call Customer Support, post your before and after cover pictures, and let us know what happens.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation, free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation  Build Your Book, a free, 98 page guide to designing your book;  CS Digital understand CS digital possibilities; GIMP, free, tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy Supremacy;  Bleeds, free, 19 page, illustrated guide to bleeds and margins, do's and don't's for CreateSpace;  Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help.    Disclaimer: all statements of apparent fact in this post are empirical inferences based on observational data. These are idiosyncratic in nature and have not necessarily been subject to verification

Level 0 10 posts since
Jun 12, 2010
554. Nov 19, 2011 9:53 PM in response to: walton

Thanks for your answer, Walton.

The cover file I submitted can be found at www.gameonlife.weebly.com (it is the red cover).

The messed-up cover that appeared on Amazon had the two parallel white lines lifted up by about one inch and touching the circular yellow lines. and there were even extra words on the cover as well. I do not have a file of the messed up cover because I resubmitted the cover to Amazon. (I have the physical book with the bad cover; I may scan the cover and post it, if I have time).  The second time I submitted the cover the words in the lower right-hand corner were all missing.  Now, after checking again, the cover looks good, with everything in the right place!

Now for a second anomaly with the same book (but a different version):

When I received copies of Game "On" (with the green cover) for the first time it looked really good. It was just like the pdf file I submitted to CS with no surprises.  Without changing the files at all, however, I ordered a few more copies, and this time the shadow on the words "Game On" was reddish-grey instead of pure grey. Also the words on the spine of the book  which were originally yellow were now red-yellow, which made the words  much harder to read. Again, it's like playing Russian Roulette with CS. I never had this problem with any other POD published, such as Lightning Source.  I am going to resubmit my cover again and hope for the best.

Cover of Book (Red Cover) is at:

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Athletes-Mastery-Victory-Version/dp/0975479237/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321766653&sr=1-2

Cover of Book (Green Cover) is at:

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Athletes-Guide-Mastery-Victory/dp/0975479210/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321768344&sr=1-1

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...