Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
78,298 Views 3 Replies Last post: Nov 30, 2011 3:44 PM by walton RSS
Level 0 17 posts since
Mar 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 19, 2011 2:35 PM

What is the most popular Children Book Font to use?

Please advise which is the most popular Children Books font to use? Ages 6-12 . 8x10. Double Column. Minimal Illustrations.

I like a plain look. @14-16 Font size. It will also be used as a digital PDF online ..... in various digital format.

The book is to help children learn to read.

Do you think Comic San MS would work well or Cambria or what?

Thanks

Level 5 15,505 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
1. Nov 20, 2011 8:56 AM in response to: kidtoc
Re: What is the most popular Children Book Font to use?

For young kids with picture books I would suggest Comic San Serif 14pt. For young kids in 1-4 grade I would suggest Century Schoolbook 14 and for older kids in 5-8 grade I would suggest Century Schoolbook 12pt. One thing you might consider is to grab a book that is in each of the grade categories and determine yourself what font and point size is being used. There are 72 points in one inch.

Seal

FREE OpenOffice Interior & Cover Templates available at:

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Level 0 13 posts since
Jun 21, 2011
2. Nov 30, 2011 2:03 PM in response to: kidtoc

Simple ones are good for beginning readers. For your title page though, try AR Christy. It's pretty fun and decently easy to read when its big.

Level 5 19,154 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Nov 30, 2011 3:44 PM in response to: kidtoc

I normally do not recommend typefaces because the right typeface has to fit your subject matter, the design of each page and the book over all, and your audience.

If you are doing a book for beginning readers, to be read not to be read to, then you might want to at least look at Century Schoolbook and its variants.  It was designed for, well, beginning schoolbooks. It is round, open, and sturdy.

Walton

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...