Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
8,643 Views 21 Replies Last post: Mar 23, 2012 12:56 PM by EditorOne RSS
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 0 5 posts since
Aug 11, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 20, 2011 1:03 AM

What Fonts Can I Use??

I am having more than enough trouble out of this. If I upload my file, I have two problems. Sometimes its either or. If I upload the file without saving as PDF, its just my fonts not embedding. If I upload after having saved as PDF, its because when saving as PDF, Word has inserted an extra page where one was not needed! If I try to put something on the blank page that is already in my word document, no extra page is added to the PDF after the save. So, what fonts does CreateSpace actually like???

Level 5 14,268 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
1. Dec 20, 2011 4:46 AM in response to: beautiful_randomness
Re: What Fonts Can I Use??

Question: are these problems listed from the InteriorReviewer's review or from a Review letter that you have recieved after someone actually reviewed the book?

From its inception to only a few weeks ago, CS printed only from PDFs created from whatever source files their books were in (Word, InDesign, etc.). And, I have to assume, although I could be wrong, that even now when doc, rtf, etc. files can be submitted, they are being converted to PDFs prior to review and printing. Word files, for example, are not necessarily stable.

The only acceptable PDFs were those with the fonts embedded. Word files can have fonts embedded or not (at least there is a way to ensure embedding, so I assume there must be files without the fonts embedded). If you upload a Word file without the fonts embedded, I assume that the review will show that: CS cannot have all available fonts with full rights, so if you do not include the fonts it cannot print your work.

To overly generalize, you can use any font that can be embedded. Most fonts can be embedded.  If you have the PDF, open it in Reader and go to File > Properties > Fonts. There you will see if the fonts are embedded, (fully or subsetting--both are okay).  I would rely on your PDF, not the InteriorReviewer, which is only a few weeks old and has lots of bugs in it.

(When a font is created, the designer may assign embeddability rights. Some designers permit personal use but want you to buy the font for commercial use.  They can tell this or they can use embeddability rights to ensure it because most people printing commercially use PDFs, and PDF's honor (should honor) the given rights. If the font cannot be embedded then it cannot be printed commercially, and you must either use a different font or buy it.  If no rights are assigned, there is nothing except a license or terms of use (EULA or ToU), to say you may or may not use the fonts commercially: such fonts can be used in accordance with the license, or if none, simply used.  Of the thousands of fonts I have downloaded that supposedly have commercial rights, about 25% don't--either a ToU or EULA included with the fonts restircted the use contrary to the font download site's representations, or the actual rights were restricted.)

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation, free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation  Build Your Book, a free, 98 page guide to designing your book;  CS Digital understand CS digital possibilities; GIMP, free, tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy Supremacy;  Bleeds, free, 19 page, illustrated guide to bleeds and margins, do's and don't's for CreateSpace;  Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help.  Disclaimer: all statements of apparent fact in this post are empirical inferences based on observational data. These are idiosyncratic in nature and have not necessarily been subject to verification.

Sep 5, 2009
2. Dec 20, 2011 4:57 AM in response to: walton

I saw another post you made . . . and you asked, as here, but I forgot to address, about why extra blank pages appear when the font is embedded.

Here are several fonts offered by CS in these posts:

Arial        ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

TNR        ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Courier    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Georgia   ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Verdana  ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Over the course of thousands of words, these minor differences can become huge.  If you have no fonts embedded, a substitution is made by Reader, and that font may be wider or narrower than you intended font . . . so comparing two versions of the same document, one with embedded fonts, one without, it is not surprising that things like adding pages occur. I've worked on books where changing the font could add or remove a hundred pages!

Walton

Level 5 9,276 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
3. Dec 20, 2011 7:09 AM in response to: beautiful_randomness

beautiful_randomness wrote:

Word has inserted an extra page where one was not needed!

If this is occuring at the end of a section/chapter, the problem is likely the way you have section breaks set up (e.g., specifying that new sections begin on an odd page, yet ending a section on an odd page, which forces Word to insert an empty even page between them).

CreateSpace doesn't "like" or dislike any fonts (if you can embed it, they'll print it), however, (a) some fonts are designed strictly for home printing and they lack the precision to produce smooth/crisp text on commercial devices, and (b) some fonts are designed to perform better than others with digital presses and plain paper used for print-on-demand books.

Most of the "full family" fonts (which means there are separate font programs installed for the regular, bold, italic, and bold italic styles) that shipped with your system are probably okay to use.  Among these, Bookman OldStyle, Calisto MT, Century Schoolbook, Garamond, Georgia, Goudy OldStyle, Lucida Bright, Palatino Linotype, and Times New Roman are some of the serif fonts that are most widely used for body text by authors here.  I have my own reasons for using some of those quite often, and for avoiding some of them completely -- but it's a starting place.

Hope that helps.  Best wishes.

Sep 5, 2009
4. Dec 20, 2011 7:48 AM in response to: beautiful_randomness

Some general comments: Because there are a variety of font formats, it's easy to get confused.  To avoid confusion, you might think to go online and find out what the pro's think.  Here are two examples, "You can't use TrueType fonts . . . " and "The biggest problem with TrueType is that sometimes fonts with intricate designs won't display or print at large sizes."  Some people insist that you can't use True Type fonts for Mac on a PC.

Whereas, "To avoid type problems and the occasional type nightmare, stick with Adobe Type 1 or TrueType fonts," and "TrueType font technology consists of . . . the TrueType fonts . . . and the TrueType rasterizer . . . built into System 7.x on the Apple range of computers, and also into Microsoft's Windows family of operating systems."

On Adobe's InDesign forum, you'll see people still saying that you cannot use TrueType fonts, and others, generally the gold star people (that forum uses the same software (to judge from appearance and function) as CS's), saying that's a lot of phooey. 

CS has printed several thousand fonts for me. I had problems with a Microsoft/Monotype font and one other.  The others were fine. Some, like ornate initials, choked up except at quite large sizes, others simply weren't designed well.  Some have better hinting than others. But aesthetics aside (let's face it, there are some ugly fonts out there, and out of those thousands, many were 100% ugly), most fonts printed well at between 14-22 pt sizes. None, to my eye, were any better or worse on the monitor or in print (except for very ornate initials where even a little dot gain messed them up).

Basically, you can use TrueType, OpenType, and Type 1 fonts. These are the most common formats.

Walton

Level 5 9,276 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
5. Dec 20, 2011 8:41 AM in response to: beautiful_randomness

Elaborating on walton's post, because you're using Word for page layout, I would stick with the TrueType or OpenType fonts that shipped with your system and/or that were installed with Microsoft Office.

Minion Pro and Adobe Caslon Pro are two excellent font families that I use frequently with InDesign -- but word processing programs do not seem to handle their hinting properly, so what you see on screen in Word with those (and many other Pro fonts, especially in smaller point sizes) is often quite different from what you get in print (and trying to manually kern the text in Word based on the screen display can create reflows and a huge mess in the printed output).  The font isn't the problem in this case, but rather the limitations of the application that's rendering the font.

Level 0 20 posts since
Feb 5, 2012
6. Mar 23, 2012 7:18 AM in response to: walton

I'd really appreciate it if someone could actually name some of the fonts that CS will accept (those that are embeddable). Even Walton's book, Build Your Own Book, doesn't tell. The typography list is extensive, and I made the assumption that if a font were in the list, it would work. Wrong. So I need to go back now, find a font in my Fonts folder, check its properties, then re-do the entire manuscript--which I thought was ready to upload--as well as the cover type. The pages will change with a new font and the cover spine will be a different width. So it's back to the drawing board. It would be nice if I could have known which fonts to use when I was desiging and formatting both the manuscript and the cover. I used BYOB as my guide. It's a shame.

Sep 5, 2009
7. Mar 23, 2012 8:00 AM in response to: EditorOne

Very generally: CS will accept any font that is embedded in your PDF.  (That is why I couldn't list what's good or not.)

If you use Acrobat Pro or Standard, InDesign, Photoshop . . . you can convert to PDF using PDF/X or PDF/A.  Both standards embed fonts: if a font cannot be emedded, the conversion should fail. Other presets are not fussy.  Take a look at http://www.12on14.com/dpi/pdf.pdf

If you make a PDF using Adobe's Standard preset, and probably many small size PDF conversions by non-Adobe conversion programs, Base14 fonts are not embedded: Arial/Helvetica, Times/NTR, Courier, symbols, Zapf dingbats. Base 14 fonts come with "all" computers, so the idea is that for standard/small PDF, to keep the size down, those fonts are not embedded.

I've seen several posts where you've expressed some concern. If you read that your fonts are not embedded in the InteriorReviewer, that warning might be wrong. There have been several posts indicating that people received that error message using InteriorReviewer, but their fonts were embedded.  I never saw the files, the error message, etc., so I can't verify that; but the IR is faulty, so if that's where you got the message.  You can find out by opening your PDF and looking under File > Properties > Fonts, or convert the Word file to PDF and look.

Walton

Level 5 13,392 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
8. Mar 23, 2012 8:02 AM in response to: EditorOne

I have used Georgia 12pt, Garamond 12pt, and Courier New 12pt with book I have published. I prefer the Georgia 12pt for my books. I have also used MSComic 14pt Bold Italic for a couple childrens books I have laid out for other authors.

Seal

Need A Job? Publish A Book! with Open Office and

FREE OpenOffice Interior & Cover Templates available at:

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Sep 5, 2009
9. Mar 23, 2012 8:29 AM in response to: Seal

I hear you can download fonts of information, wisdom, knowledge, and inspiration. I believe that I saw an article on the Hufffffffington Post that the latter turned out to be the font of perspiration. The downside is that these are personal use only fonts.

W

Mar 8, 2009
10. Mar 23, 2012 8:34 AM in response to: walton

Walton,

I think you have done an adaquate job of waterind down the OPs thread with your font gnomenclature.

Seal

Sep 5, 2009
11. Mar 23, 2012 9:05 AM in response to: Seal

Sometimes I wish I could leave comments agnonymously.

W

Mar 8, 2009
12. Mar 23, 2012 9:26 AM in response to: walton

Being the font of all knowledge, an agnonymous post might not be as concrete or as weighty as needed to cement the post into the mind of the OP.

Seal

Sep 5, 2009
13. Mar 23, 2012 9:37 AM in response to: Seal

It would appear that beautiful_randomness has been randomized. We're annoying the second or third generation that has come along.

W

Level 0 20 posts since
Feb 5, 2012
14. Mar 23, 2012 11:01 AM in response to: walton

Thanks for the quick response. I am finding the error message in the CreateSpace preflight report. I figure I can ignore the fact that it is less than 24 pages when I'm checking the cover. But when checking the interior file, with the preflight, it always embeds my fonts as subsets even when my font properties say the font is editable. Georgia, for example, which is identified as editable in all four formats in my computer, was only embedded as a subset. It was my font of choice because it is a serif font, crisp, and clear, but the pdf refused to embed it.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...