Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
57,996 Views 11 Replies Last post: Dec 20, 2011 9:03 AM by walton RSS
Level 0 14 posts since
Dec 12, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 18, 2011 11:41 AM

How can I embed fonts in Word 2011 for Mac?

It seems that Word 2011 doesn't supoort font embedding. What are my options other than reinstalling Word 2008?

Level 5 19,528 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
1. Dec 18, 2011 12:13 PM in response to: ariel26
Re: How can I embed fonts in Word 2011 for Mac?

Word 2010 will embed fonts . . . and I can't see any reason 2011 won't. But, unless you're intending to bypass making a PDF, and upload a doc (not docx) file (I'm guessing here because I always create a PDF and have no availed myself of the newer uploadable files, and won't), you shouldn't have to worry about embedding fonts in your Word file. I have Word 2010 for PC, but I assume it's similar to what you have:

File > Otpions > Save > Preserve fideltiy when sharing this document > Embed fonts in the file

Maybe someone else will have a better answer.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation, free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation  Build Your Book, a free, 98 page guide to designing your book;  CS Digital understand CS digital possibilities; GIMP, free, tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy Supremacy;  Bleeds, free, 19 page, illustrated guide to bleeds and margins, do's and don't's for CreateSpace;  Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help.  Disclaimer: all statements of apparent fact in this post are empirical inferences based on observational data. These are idiosyncratic in nature and have not necessarily been subject to verification.

Sep 5, 2009
3. Dec 18, 2011 12:32 PM in response to: ariel26

The advantage to creating your own PDF is that you see what you have before you upload and can make adjustments.  In almost every job I've ever done, I always find things in the PDF that I missed in either the Word or InDesign files.

The idea of PDFs is that they contain everything necessary to view a facsimile of the orignial file, thus most,conversion embed the fonts.

Walton

Sep 5, 2009
5. Dec 18, 2011 1:25 PM in response to: ariel26

For all practical purposes you can't edit a PDF.  There are program that let you do some editing, but they are moderate to very expensive.

Typically, when I find a mistake in a PDF, I go back to the original file, make the changes necessary, create a new PDF, and keep looking.

Walton

Level 5 15,645 posts since
May 4, 2008
6. Dec 18, 2011 2:00 PM in response to: ariel26

How are you creating the PDF? Does Word 2011 have its own built-in convertor? Are you using "Print to PDF" or "Export as PDF" options? Depending on your method, you might have different embedding options available.

I just use the Mac's in-built PDF exporter when I'm working in Pages and this embeds the fonts automatically.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

May 4, 2008
8. Dec 18, 2011 4:18 PM in response to: ariel26

When I get home tonight, I'll check out the PDF process with Word 2011 and let you know if I can see a workaround. I recently installed 2011 but haven't used it yet... I'm still turned off Word by the disaster that was Word 2008, and have been using InDesign and Pages for all my work.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

May 4, 2008
9. Dec 18, 2011 11:58 PM in response to: ariel26

Ok, I've checked the Word 2011 convertor and the Mac's Print to PDF function. Upon inspecting each PDF in Acrobat > Properties > Fonts, it showed all fonts embedded as a subset, even the obscure fonts I chucked in the test document for good measure. I didn't see any option panels using either method, so there's no way to remove subsetting like there is when using Acrobat as a printer.

See how you go with what you've produced so far, and when you get your proof, watch out for missing glyphs. Chances are you won't have a problem, but I have had trouble in the past with some Adobe fonts in InDesign until I removed the font subsetting, so if you do come across this issue, we'll know what probably caused it.

Michelle

-------------

Sep 5, 2009
11. Dec 20, 2011 9:03 AM in response to: ariel26

Subsetting is ok.  It means that only those characters in each subsetted font that are actually used in the file have been embedded. TrueType fonts can contain up to 256 characters, OpenType fonts can contain 65,000 characters . . . 250 times more and your file would get bigger.

Walton

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...