Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
2,669 Views 4 Replies Last post: Feb 3, 2012 6:02 AM by walton RSS
Level 0 14 posts since
Dec 5, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 22, 2011 9:53 PM

template question

I downloaded the CS 6x9 template and have been copying and pasting each chapter of my book into the template. The template only offered 10 chapters but I figured that I could just keep copying and pasting the rest of the chapters.

The first 10 chapters start each chapter half way down the page (which I like) but when it came to the 11th and subsequent chapters it started each one at the top of the page. When I hit enter to move it down, it messed up the header on the last page of the chapter making it too big, even though all the margins were unaltered.

Is there a way to get the 6x9 template to accept the rest of my chapters with all the same formatting as the first 10?

Thanks!

Level 1 5 posts since
Dec 1, 2011
1. Dec 23, 2011 5:16 AM in response to: esthawk
Re: template question

Wow, finally a question I can answer. I too downloaded the template for 6x9, chapters 1-10. And what I wound up doing is copying those chapters multiple times until it was as long as the book that I was working on. After I pasted the entire document into the revised template. I went into the header/footers (starting at chapter 11) and formatted the page number to continue from previous section. Presto chango my book was accepted!

Thanks to all the masters in the group who helped me through their answers to figure this out.

Level 0 11 posts since
Jan 26, 2012
3. Feb 2, 2012 7:36 PM in response to: esthawk

I came across this problem too, but I wanted to start at the top of the page.

The other way you can select where to start your text / page, is by going into your page set up: layout: page alignment.

Options give you top, bottom, center & & justified.

Hope that helps

Level 5 14,264 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
4. Feb 3, 2012 6:02 AM in response to: esthawk

A "Word" of warning: the templates are (were as of last October) a little iffy with regard to the headers. See https://www.createspace.com/en/community/message/139574#139574.  This may or may not be a problem for you, but I have worked on two books, where it was serious. One, some of the text ended up in a header and couldn't be removed.

Playing with page alignment fixe some but not all, and it tended to fix a problem on one page, only to apear on another.

Another issue could be that CS uses Widow/orphan control. This will produce text pages that can vary plus or minus several lines--but the page spreads are not equal.  It is wrong.  You should deselect this (Paragraph > Line and Page Breaks > Pagination) and any other features that might be selected under Pagination. The downside is that you will have to eliminate widows (the last line of a paragraph at the top of a page) manually (using small amounts of exapnd/contract letter spacing).  See Build Your Book, a free, 98 page guide to designing your book, for suggestions.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation, free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation  Build Your Book, a free, 98 page guide to designing your book;  CS Digital understand CS digital possibilities; GIMP, free, tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy Supremacy;  Bleeds, free, 19 page, illustrated guide to bleeds and margins, do's and don't's for CreateSpace;  Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help.  Disclaimer: all statements of apparent fact in this post are empirical inferences based on observational data. These are idiosyncratic in nature and have not necessarily been subject to verification.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...