Skip navigation
289,326 Views 692 Replies Last post: Apr 22, 2014 12:07 PM by Sayona RSS Go to original post
  1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 47 Previous Next
Level 5 14,279 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
Currently Being Moderated
180. Dec 26, 2011 2:55 PM in response to: mayakasey
Re: Welcome to the Cover File Formatting Discussion

When you convert your INDD file to PDF, it should be the "same."  If the numbering was okay in InDesign, it should be okay in the PDF.

For most people, you make masters for the text pages.  For the simplest front matters, you apply the [None] master, and these pages then have no page numbers or running heads.

How are you actually numbering your pages?  I'm confused by the "page1.indd, page2.indd, etc."

Walton

Level 0 13 posts since
Jul 5, 2011
181. Dec 26, 2011 3:17 PM in response to: walton

I'm doing this based on about 30 minutes of instructions from a friend who's done this before.  So I've got an InDesign book going.  And for each page I'm opening a new document in InDesign and saving it.  Then I add it to the book which I'll later convert to a PDF file.  When I save the individual pages, I have to call them something, and as they go into the book, they appear to be called the same thing.  But maybe I can move them around once they're in the book and they'll renumber themselves?  I'm just trying to make sure that I don't do something now that's going to create more work later. 

Level 5 11,791 posts since
May 4, 2008
182. Dec 26, 2011 4:31 PM in response to: mayakasey

The Book (INDB) tool will renumber your pages based on the order you drag and drop them into in the Book palette (if you use auto-numbering in the footer). It will not, however, rename the pages. So if "page1.indd" is actually page 7 in the final order after all your front matter, you can rename the .indd files if it helps you avoid confusion. But the INDB is smart enough to number the pages automatically in the correct order, despite your file naming conventions.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Level 0 1 posts since
Mar 7, 2009
183. Jan 19, 2012 12:37 PM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

Has anybody had the experience that a cover that was accepted before, after minor adjustment to the page, would not get accepted the next day?

The formatting is the same, but it just doesn't get the same feedback in the system.

TandT

Level 0 1 posts since
Jan 16, 2012
184. Jan 27, 2012 8:00 AM in response to: Hetman

Please send your PM email.  

Level 0 32 posts since
Jul 26, 2010
185. Jan 29, 2012 1:29 AM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

Hey Guys!

I have my own fully formatted book cover.  My book is 5x8 and the photo has been sized via PS to 10.95x8.5 inches via the specified stats book cover asked for. For reasons I can't understand the cover still doesn't fit into the margins.  If  anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong, it would be greatly appreciated.

Truly,

Michelle Hughes

Author of the Tears of Crimson Vampire Series

http://www.tearsofcrimson.com

Level 0 1 posts since
Oct 18, 2011
186. Jan 30, 2012 9:55 AM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

I am in need of a book cover designer who isnt costly. Reply to ***** if interested.

Message was edited by: CreateSpaceModerator

Level 0 1 posts since
Jul 28, 2010
187. Feb 1, 2012 5:31 PM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

Hi - I'm trying to create a cover and I'm going into the cover creater and just getting a grey square. What am I doing wrong?

Level 0 15 posts since
Feb 14, 2012
188. Feb 16, 2012 12:26 PM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

Am I correct in the belief that if you have a template generated on which to lay out your cover (say the template is on a 19 x 13 inch canvas) that the 19x13 canvas represents the actual size of the paper on which the cover will be printed? So that when sending in a pdf file we should send in a 19x13 inch pdf, which has our image on it, (which will be smaller of course with a white border around the image filling out the rest of the canvas)?

So that this image can be loaded straight up and then printed and cut on the presses for our books.

This may be obvious to the art and graphic designers out there, but I'm an engineer, so this is new to me and I want to be sure I understand correctly.

Level 5 13,405 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
189. Feb 16, 2012 12:32 PM in response to: ajmendler

Check your private messages under the Your Stuff above. Also, be aware that your post was edited by a CS moderator because you cannot leave an email address on the board. This is to prevent phishing.

Seal

Need A Job? Publish A Book! with Open Office and

FREE OpenOffice Interior & Cover Templates available at:

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Level 5 13,405 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
190. Feb 16, 2012 12:37 PM in response to: VanStry

I laid out the dimensions for you in a post on a different thread where you were asking about a 6x9 book. The template needs to be 6 + spine + 6 by 9 inches. If you are wanting to use a 19x13 image then it will need to be resized proportionally to fit on the template you have created. To do this, open the template and paste a copy of the image on the template, then depressing the shift key, click and hold your left mouse key and drag it down to match the template.

Seal

Need A Job? Publish A Book! with Open Office and

FREE OpenOffice Interior & Cover Templates available at:

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Level 0 15 posts since
Feb 14, 2012
191. Feb 16, 2012 1:08 PM in response to: Seal

I guess I am not being clear, that is my fault and let me try this again.

I go to the template generator, for a 6x9 book with 330 pages. I get sent a template on a 19x13 sized canvas. The template of course smaller: the size you mentioned above - size of the front and back covers, plus spine, plus bleeds.

Now when I print/save this into a pdf format to send it in as a pdf file, I need to set the size for this entire image (that is the canvas with the template on it) to the original size of the canvas that I received, correct? Yes the cover image is say 14 inches by 9.5 and the rest of the image is just white space. But I have to set that pdf file's size to 19x13 inches if I want them to get the proper 300dpi image correct?

I could also just crop to the entire cover as long as the size of the canvas for the pdf I send in is then 14 x 9.5 image size I created correct?

I hope I've explained my question better here.

Thanks

-John

Level 5 11,791 posts since
May 4, 2008
192. Feb 16, 2012 2:15 PM in response to: VanStry

You can approach this either way. If you use the template and leave the white space intact, your resulting PDF must be 19x13 at 300dpi, so you might need to first create a custom paper size at 19x13 before you print to PDF.

Or, you can crop all the white area out, ensuring you leave the bleed area intact, and print a PDF to a customer paper size of 14 x 9.5".

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Level 5 14,279 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
193. Feb 16, 2012 2:18 PM in response to: VanStry

The PDF you upload must contain the cover art at exactly 100% its intended size.

So if the cover art is 14 x 9.5 on 19 x 13, you may upload the full 19 x 13 piece at exactly 19 x 13, or you can trim it down to 14 x 9.5 and upload it at exactly 14 x 9.5.

Walton

Level 0 3 posts since
Jun 23, 2011
194. Feb 19, 2012 4:57 PM in response to: walton
Re: Cover File Formatting Discussion

My cover designer submitted the pdf with proof marks on it. I've downloaded it to my set-up, but I can't find where I can view it to see whether those proof marks need to be removed. Can you help? Thanks.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...