Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
1,980 Views 5 Replies Last post: Feb 24, 2012 7:10 AM by Thunderstruck RSS
Level 2 99 posts since
Jan 25, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 22, 2012 12:24 PM

good experiences with CreateSpace

The forums, as is the case with most stuff, tend to be dominated by unhappy feedback.  So, I thought I'd share a couple instances where CreateSpace deserves kudos.

1) I recently shipped out a review copy, but it turned out the guy gave me an incorrect address and it was returned to sender.  (He never responded to my query for a corrected mailing address.)  Instead of destroying the book, CS offered to forward it to me at no additional cost.  There's no good reason for them to have to take the shipping loss on someone else's mistake, but it was an appreciated gesture.

Now that I think about it, does "return to sender" un-do the original shipping cost?  My assumption was that re-shipping it results in a second charge, but maybe USPS refunds the original amount, or credits it toward a second attempt?  Anyway, it was a pleasant surprise.

2) I was ordering a couple of books on Amazon this month and needed $2 more for the order to qualify for free shipping.  I thought, why not order a copy of my book while I'm at it and see what customers are getting?  I was curious about EDC outsourcing, pre-printed "in-stock" copies, etc.  I'm happy to say, the copy which arrived was printed the day after I placed the order (in Lexington, KY) and was nearly identical to the SC copies I had ordered previously.  No quality control issues on that particular order.

Dan

VOQ Training for Cross Country & Track, by Dan Kaplan

Level 2 222 posts since
Jul 20, 2011
1. Feb 22, 2012 2:35 PM in response to: dkap
Re: good experiences with CreateSpace

I'm glad you posted this.

My own experiences have been overwhelmingly positive. Even when there have been issues, CreateSpace has done a fantastic job of fixing those issues. I know not everyone is happy with the service, and it seems like those people can be the most vocal in forums, but I have to give CreateSpace two thumbs way up! 

Level 5 13,397 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
2. Feb 22, 2012 2:39 PM in response to: Playwright

Almost makes you wish your hands were ALL thumbs, doesn't it?

Seal

Need A Job? Publish A Book! with Open Office and

FREE OpenOffice Interior & Cover Templates available at:

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Level 1 121 posts since
Sep 1, 2010
3. Feb 23, 2012 2:26 PM in response to: dkap

i ordered 250 full colour books that were made in rochester at xmas time. although they were late, they were on glossy paper like blurb, and were printed with bright colours with great contrast and shipped fully shrinkwrapped on cardboard palettes, 10 to a small box, 2 small boxes in a large box. They were BEAUTIFUL. I would pay extra to have them printed there again. Nothing but complaints about SC factory.

Level 1 42 posts since
Nov 16, 2011
4. Feb 23, 2012 7:23 PM in response to: dkap

All SO great to hear.

I thought CS was too good to be true after LuLu. A book I waited for 7 months to get out of the review cycle was approved by CS with one correction. They made the correction for me. The book was at Amazon 10 days later. I wept in joy. I'm not kidding.

I never got any response from LuLu. Not one email returned. Waited for weeks and weeks hoping I understood them correctly. Finally, after getting the green light, only to have the book rejected days later for a 2 pixel disparity on the cover, I went to the forums. The conversation was hijacked by two very mean people who attacked an author trying to help me. His book hadn't gone to distribution-he'd waited 4 months.

He privately emailed me and suggested CS.

Since then things have really been moving along. Just the fact that you can call them and they are commited to answering your question. That alone!

Thank you for posting this.

Level 1 126 posts since
Feb 8, 2009
5. Feb 24, 2012 7:10 AM in response to: dkap

CS is pretty good, we have a lot to be thankful for.

I have dealt with so many unreliable, difficult and unethical companies in the past, it's very refreshing to deal with CS. While I too have had some criticisms the above is hard to deny.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...