1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
9,258 Views 18 Replies Last post: Mar 6, 2012 6:38 AM by walton RSS
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 0 48 posts since
Dec 13, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 27, 2012 11:48 AM

Cover Margin Issue (Aargh!)

My most recent book's cover looks like this http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/5117/1006601dt.jpg

(good, prior proof on top, underneath is the more recent cover-problem proof)

Problem: The image doesn't go to the edge of the cover. In the files I uploaded, I not only used the measurements the template gave me--I made the image bigger than the measurements (going OVER the sides of the page). You can see the .svg file here, as well as the .pdf I exported and uploaded to createspace.

http://www.mediafire.com/?d8gbxkrfdg7gw15

http://www.mediafire.com/?blynvf474udqdq6

How can I fix this? It's an 8"x5" book, with 70 cream-colored pages.

Level 5 9,257 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
1. Feb 27, 2012 11:59 AM in response to: jbguy
Re: Cover Margin Issue (Aargh!)

If what you're showing is a photo of an actual book you received from CS, then this looks like a production defect (trim error).  Contact CS Support (you can provide that image as part of your problem report).

Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of this lately.  An order I placed in early November still hasn't been completed -- I'm waiting on the sixth set of replacement books.  (The original shipment contained books that were trimmed way out beyond the bleed, leaving a large white strip at the edge.  CS agreed that it was their issue and sent replacement books which had the very same problem -- as did the third, fourth, and fifth round of replacement books).

I didn't download or check your PDF file -- would need to know the physical properties of the book (trim size, page count, color or b&w interior, paper color) in order to confirm that the PDF is correct -- but if they accepted it and printed the book from it, then it probably is.  As I said, looks like trim error.

Hope that helps.  Good luck!

Edit: I just now saw that you did post the properties -- I'll take a look at the PDF . . .

Level 5 14,225 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Feb 27, 2012 12:00 PM in response to: jbguy

CS should only accept cover art where the actual art extends beyound the trim line a full 0.125" at least (that's the bleed).  If you used the template, and if you followed the guidelines . . . as you top cover suggests you did . . . then the bottom cover is defective.

If it is defective, then do not forget the guarantee: https://www.createspace.com/Special/Help/Rights/Guarantee.jsp

If your art is right, then there is nothing you can do to anticipate how it might go wrong . . . that is the reason for the bleed.  Contact Customer Support.

Walton

Level 5 1,912 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
4. Feb 27, 2012 12:07 PM in response to: jbguy

If your book is 5" wide by 8" tall with 70 pages on cream paper, your file should be .125" + 5" + .175" + 5" + .125" wide by .125" + 8" + .125" tall: 10.425" by 8.25". Your PDF is 10.41" wide, so perhaps that's throwing it off, that very slight difference? I wouldn't think it would make that much difference, but I don't really know.

Sarah

Editor & Book Designer

http://sleepingcatbooks.com

Pre-order your copy of "The Storm is Coming" anthology and get acknowledged in the book!

http://www.kapipal.com/sleepingcatbooks

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTl6qAE8ngc

Aug 22, 2008
5. Feb 27, 2012 12:46 PM in response to: jbguy

My apology to you and to CS.  I spoke (posted) too soon based on my recent experiences.

Your PDF page size is 10.410"x8.25" to accommodate an image that should be (if my math is correct) 10.425"x8.25".  In fact, the right edge bounding boxes for the image you have embedded in the PDF are negative numbers (i.e., its right edges are defined beyond the PDF page).  So, yes, this could be a problem -- "So why did CS accept it?" you might be wondering.  Me, too.

The image itself is only 1366x768 pixels to cover that entire area (less than 72 dpi), so they should have also warned you about that, as well.

Finally, if the image is resized to what's needed for the entire cover, then there isn't enough bleed (the text is too close to the edge -- i.e., the bottom of the author name and the right edge of the title would be trimmed off).  If CS tried to resize on-the-fly to prevent that, you would (did?) end up with a white strip along the edge.

So I think CS is trying to find a way to print this when maybe they shouldn't.  To fix this, I believe you want to create a background image that's 3128x2475 pixels (the full cover trim size, plus bleed, at 300 dpi), then place your text at least 0.375" in from any edge (a half-inch or more would be better).

Sep 5, 2009
6. Feb 27, 2012 12:52 PM in response to: jbguy

As I said "if" . . . When you revise you cover, because you should, not CS, look at your text. On the back cover it is well inside the "out-of-live" margin, which is 0.25" around the top, outside, and bottom of the front and back cover.

I presumed you meant, "In the files I uploaded, I not only used the measurements the template gave me" as in you followed the guidelines/template (a CS cover template?) correctly.

If CS "fixed" your cover art, something Michelle has noted and commented on, they were wrong to do it because at this point you do not know what you have.  You should follow the template exaclty.  Not close, exact.  We expecct CS to print and bind out books correctly, then we must provide correct art.

Take a look at Bleeds, free, 19 page, illustrated guide to bleeds and margins, do's and don't's for CreateSpace. It will explain something about the cover margins, bleeds, etc.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation, free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation  Build Your Book, a free, 98 page guide to designing your book;  CS Digital understand CS digital possibilities; GIMP, free, tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy Supremacy;  Bleeds, free, 19 page, illustrated guide to bleeds and margins, do's and don't's for CreateSpace;  Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help.  Disclaimer: all statements of apparent fact in this post are empirical inferences based on observational data. These are idiosyncratic in nature and have not necessarily been subject to verification.

Sep 5, 2009
8. Feb 27, 2012 1:17 PM in response to: jbguy

If they say they changed your cover . . . in fact, whatever they say . . . please let us know.

Walton

Level 3 573 posts since
Sep 24, 2009
10. Feb 27, 2012 2:09 PM in response to: jbguy

When I look at the PDF there are about 54 filled vector objects on the left and bottom sides of the cover image outside the print area, extending about 9 inches beyond the edge of the cover.  There is one low resolution bitmap object (with no image) that overlaps the entire cover, starting at the lower left, and extends beyond it on the other two sides (this is the image Lighthouse referred to).  Those things shouldn't be there.  The cover image itself looks to me like it is a collection of vector objects and outlined text, which should be fine.

I loaded the PDF into GIMP to see how it interpreted the extraneous objects (it ignored them) and then overlaid the cover template.  I didn't see anything in the layout that looked rejectable except for the descender on the 'y' in "By".  (This was just a quick check, anything that is off enough to cause that white stripe should be pretty obvious.)

Those 55 extraneous objects are flagged as problems on some preflight tests, so they may be causing problems with CS's software.  My suggestion would be to figure out how they got there and to get rid of them.  The PDF converts to a PDF/X-1a successfully---with the extraneous objects intact(!).

Sep 5, 2009
11. Feb 27, 2012 2:44 PM in response to: troffer

I was wrong, still of the 0.25" out-of-live mindset, I had looked at the back cover. You are correct, the text is not inside the new out-of-live margin on the back.

However, the "y" in "By," the "®" (Registered mark--in case CS doesn't accept the code), and the drop shadow for the "N" encroach into the out-of-live margins. If there is a binding crease, odds are there will be, then it will run through both Bs.

Walton

Aug 22, 2008
12. Feb 27, 2012 2:55 PM in response to: troffer

Thanks, troffer, you're correct -- I saw the b-box error and drew another premature (and wrong) conclusion.  I agree with you and walton -- one could use the object tool in Acrobat to move the author name up a little and the "by Lego" trademark glyph left a little to get them away from the trim edge, then redistill to PDF/X-1a and this would fly.  The main title and back cover text are still closer to the edges and binding hinge/crease than I'd want on my books, but it would be acceptable and print.  Again, I'm sorry, jbguy, for jumping to a conclusion (I had some distractions and really shouldn't have been posting at the time).

Level 3 573 posts since
Sep 24, 2009
13. Feb 27, 2012 3:50 PM in response to: jbguy

Oops, I didn't even notice that there was an (R).  But yes, I agree about that and the drop shadow on the 'N'.

What do you think about the two covers in the photo?  To my eye, neither of them looks right.  Both look like the image is shifted to the left of where it should be based on the PDF.

Based on the PDF and the template, the curve at the top of the yellow (hand?) should be located right on the nominal trim line, and the tan pointy area should have the tip of the point clipped off.  On the top cover it looks like the right edge of the cover image (the outermost part of the bleed) is located right on the cut.  The lower cover looks like it is shifted even further to the left, but has slightly less distance between the tan "point" and the white strip.

So I'm now wondering if the printed books actually measure 5" x 8" and if the cover image is printed the same size as specified in the artwork.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...