Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
1,052 Views 5 Replies Last post: Mar 1, 2012 4:25 AM by Finndog RSS
Level 0 4 posts since
Feb 12, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 27, 2012 4:41 PM

Hey, I'm new here

Hello guys, Caity here. I published my first book, Wolf's Blood on here . But I'm a bit confused on what "Order a Proof" means. And I'm just so confused on how to actually work CreateSpace. Plus, It's been 5-7 days already and my book has not been published on Amazon.. Honestly, I think my story sucks but too late to change it now I guess? Can someone please help me? Thanks.

Level 5 11,782 posts since
May 4, 2008
1. Feb 27, 2012 5:20 PM in response to: Caitybugz
Re: Hey, I'm new here

Caitybugz wrote:

Hello guys, Caity here. I published my first book, Wolf's Blood on here . But I'm a bit confused on what "Order a Proof" means.

It means to order a printed, bound example of the finished product so that you can check it for printing errors which need to be corrected before you should approve it for sale. A lot of people also use their proofs for editing/proofreading.

It's been 5-7 days already and my book has not been published on Amazon.

If you haven't ordered a proof yet, and approved it for sale, it won't appear on Amazon until you complete those steps.

Honestly, I think my story sucks but too late to change it now I guess?

It's never too late with print-on-demand. If you're not happy with your book, you can revise it and upload a new version at any time. If the book is published and you edit the contents, technically it's a new book and you'll need to create a new title in your account with a new ISBN. But if you're still in the proof stage, this is the best time to revise your work so you can eventually put out something you're truly happy with to the public.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Level 0 67 posts since
Oct 21, 2011
2. Feb 28, 2012 4:27 AM in response to: lipmag

Respectfully, Michelle, I don't think that is correct. I have edited the contents of my book and never needed to add a new title or get a new ISBN. I suppose one could, but I really don't think it's neccessaary or required. Do you know something I dont? The Village Idiot.

Level 5 11,782 posts since
May 4, 2008
3. Feb 28, 2012 2:32 PM in response to: Finndog

CS will not impose this on you, however, it is industry practice that if a book is different from a previous edition (it might have a few extra pages, for example) then it should be treated as a new edition with a new ISBN. I'm not talking about correcting a couple of typos here.

This is especially important for non-fiction, where books might be referenced. If I'm writing a paper and quote a sentence on page 52 of a book, then the author revises the book and suddenly the sentence is on page 54 (or has been cut from the new edition!) there is no way to distinguish one edition from the next and my referencing is now brought into question. The author might not care, but the person referencing the material (and their readers, professors etc) surely will.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Level 2 203 posts since
May 21, 2010
4. Feb 28, 2012 2:35 PM in response to: lipmag

Good point Michelle! Thanks for the explanation.

Jeny

http://www.thefastfingers.com

Affordable book formatting service (Paperback, ePub, Kindle)

call:+1 (347) 618-0917

Level 0 67 posts since
Oct 21, 2011
5. Mar 1, 2012 4:25 AM in response to: lipmag

Point taken. I was, in fact, referring to correcting typos, grammar and other minor issues. I can see where major revisions would require the additional steps, especially with technical works. As a fiction writer, this is never an issue for me, I just want good copy out there. TVI

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...