Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
561,668 Views 1,539 Replies Last post: Apr 17, 2014 4:30 PM by Linguist RSS Go to original post
  1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 ... 103 Previous Next
Level 0 115 posts since
Jul 5, 2009
Currently Being Moderated
1,155. Apr 1, 2012 7:03 PM in response to: venture2
Re: Do you have a website for selling your book?

I have been following this thread for quite some time. I have visited many of the websites and have been impressed with the authors and their creativity both in their writings and also in their website designs. To have a nice site and a good product to offer is something to be proud of. But I believe most of us are concerned about "the traffic" that we draw to our sites. I get traffic on a regular basis from Google, Bing, Twitter and a few others based on interest in the genre in which my book is related. However, the regular traffic I get is nowhere near where I would like it to be. I know you can "buy" traffic for your site, but this can become quite expensive. I came across a "free" system for driving traffic to my site that really is totally free, and they have a "viral platform" that increases traffic to your site on a continous basis. I did a little research on the internet and the reviews I saw were positive so I thought I would give it a try. Since I have just joined the system, I don't have a full report to give yet. But it does not cost a penny and will never cost a penny from the information I have gained so far. The link is below and feel free to post your thoughts on this system.

Venture2

http://www.FreeViral.com/?r=391830

Level 0 37 posts since
Sep 30, 2010
1,156. Apr 1, 2012 8:13 PM in response to: RobertLa

Thanks for your reply. Although I believe that monitoring the sales count may bring some results to no-sales-reporting, in my opinion one of the factors for no sales is the high selling price established by CreateSpace/Amazon particularly for full-color books. My children's book BIRDYJOSH and BIRDYLU, a Paper Birds' Story is a 42-page paperback NOW selling at $9.95. With so many discounted hard cover books on the market, how could anyone pay - sight unseen - this high amount for a few color pages inside a paper cover? Even though my book cover looks attractive, in today's economy and with other cheaper books available, it would be hard to see high sales; however, as with anything, there should be at least one soul who did not care about the price but was curious to see what a paper bird story was all about. Also, when I requested a refund of the prepaid book promotion such request was not well-taken but I got the rebate as credit for books purchased. When the book was released it carried the high price of - I believe - $15.00 and six books were puchased locally by friends at that price.  Later on I dropped my profit thus reducing the selling price. I have given away a lot of books and have promoted it in the social sites among paper-birders and my non-high ranking Websites to no avail.

Please keep us posted on the sales reporting, if any, of out-of-area sales of your book.

Level 0 115 posts since
Jul 5, 2009
1,157. Apr 2, 2012 7:34 PM in response to: DrDLN

I like the thought you shared about making a "new ending."

Venture2

Level 0 29 posts since
Aug 19, 2010
1,158. Apr 3, 2012 1:36 AM in response to: WritingKitty

Yes, I know what you mean. My children's book by CS was reviewed very positively in a parent's magazine. Two sales then came in, but I found out later it was a cousin who purchased them for herself and her mother. You would think SOME sales would result from the review. It just doesn't seem plausible that the month in which the write-up appeared was the worst month for sales ever. And I purchased the promotional package!

www.puppystail.com

Level 0 37 posts since
Sep 30, 2010
1,159. Apr 3, 2012 9:05 AM in response to: sheana

Thanks for your reply. I just "liked" your book in Amazon.  Although I did not read it, I glanced at a paragraph or two and the pictures and find it attractive for children. The "forced" pricing, as with my book, is not competitive and it is one of the reasons for low or no sales as it happened to me. And I am glad I cancelled the promotion package since I would not have recovered the cost;with the current sales price I would get no royalties. At least I got some books in exchange. I see that your book has a long list of resellers as "new" and some very high-priced, as "used." I could try and do something else with the book but I am too involved in other writings to spend some more time on my "humane story of two paper birds".

Since you gave CS what they wanted, the promo money, you still have a chance. Good luck!

Level 0 101 posts since
May 28, 2009
1,160. Apr 4, 2012 7:34 AM in response to: WritingKitty

Miss WritingKitty,

You know I did respond to your initial posting here about your low or no sales...and I don't know if you saw it, ignored it or what...but I think I at least deserve an acknowledgement of the response to your initial posting.  It was from

From what I can gather, maybe you are TOO busy doing many other things w/o responding to others who may have given you a constructive suggestion or two...which is why there are ZERO results on your sales???

Olympian

Message was edited by: CreateSpaceModerator

Level 0 29 posts since
Aug 19, 2010
1,161. Apr 3, 2012 10:57 AM in response to: WritingKitty

Hi, I "liked" your book back. My book is selling for $12.95 right at the moment, but a few days ago it was going for $9.32 on Amazon. I got Amazon to lower the price because that was the selling price on BarnesandNoble.com. You still get your agreed upon royalty, but Amazon just gets a percentage of the lower retail price instead.

Secondly, I am doing some footwork to promote my book. I still don't know how it will work out, but it's too soon to give up. I'm participating in "reading weeks" in different elementary schools where I live. I think you have a great opportunity with your book, because kids not only hear a story, but also learn a craft. You might consider contacting the public schools in your area and see how receptive they are to a presentation, both reading the book aloud and making a paper bird.  Mind you, I'm really shy, but I'm forcing myself to do this. I think your book deserves this chance, unless you really are more excited about your new projects, that is!

Level 1 372 posts since
Apr 20, 2009
1,162. Apr 3, 2012 11:51 AM in response to: IslandsEleven

That's all I have. my blog: http://drdhillon.blogspot.com/

Thanks.

-------------

"We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly": http://amzn.to/dMBLWW

Level 0 37 posts since
Sep 30, 2010
1,163. Apr 3, 2012 4:04 PM in response to: Olympian

Thank you for your interest. I am sorry that I missed your email. I'll go back and read it and for sure will reply tonight. I would never intentionally ignore a legitimate email and, from what I see, yours was. I have been innundated with emails and by-passed yours trying to read the recognizable ones.

I will state that, from a marketing standpoint, I will not spend too much of my valuable time pursuing the impossible: selling a high-priced book. If I had known then what I know today, I would never, never have self-published in the fashion that I did. At the time I spent lots of hours trying to follow the wrong instructions only to be able to fix eveything in one single day once I was given - in just a couple of seconds - the proper guidance. By then I was very tired of correction upon correction only to find out that the established book cost would be too high for the quality of a paperback. My business experience told me to request a book size-reduction in order to lower the cost. More waste of time but I got the price reduction. I believe in my book since it has a beautiful message but I have to see in what other way I can deal with it effectively. Thanks again!

Level 0 37 posts since
Sep 30, 2010
1,164. Apr 3, 2012 4:15 PM in response to: sheana

Thank you for detailing your sales experience and for the "like."  Please refer to my reply to "razor..." a couple of messages below. I am currently editing my General Fiction Young Adult novel in the standard acceptable format vs the way I had done the kiddy book. This requires many going-over steps involving the entire book. When I have finished re-formatting it then I have to polish it a bit and still check for better composition where required. Isn't it that with each revision one finds a better way to say things . . .?

Level 0 37 posts since
Sep 30, 2010
1,165. Apr 4, 2012 7:38 AM in response to: Olympian

Earlier today I had apologized for not replying to your email,  At the time I did not realize that you had been too quick to judge resulting in an uncalled- for reprimand with your own assumption of why I have no sales. Are you part of CS staff? Why are you taking it so personal. I searched for your email but could not find it; however, from the tenor of your second message quoted below I do not think I would like to correspond with you any further. In the future, don't accuse, give first the benefit of the doubt. I write and paint for the pleasure of it; I consider myself a very proper person and being argumentative for the sake of arguing would not give me time to create - and create is what I do best!

Miss WritingKitty,

You know I did respond to your initial posting here about your low or no sales...and I don't know if you saw it, ignored it or what...but I think I at least deserve an acknowledgement of the response to your initial posting. It was from

From what I can gather, maybe you are TOO busy doing many other things w/o responding to others who may have given you a constructive suggestion or two...which is why there are ZERO results on your sales???

Olympian

Level 5 3,191 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
1,166. Apr 3, 2012 5:16 PM in response to: WritingKitty

WritingKitty,

I applaud you for this response well written and reasoned.

R. C.

Upcoming Release - The Order

Preview - http://www.createspace.com/Preview/1098188

Trailer - http://youtu.be/To1IlV-9wCA

Level 0 97 posts since
Jul 13, 2010
1,167. Apr 3, 2012 5:29 PM in response to: R.C.

The Wardstone Trilogy Home page has been tweeted over 50.2 thousand times.  http://www.mrmathias.com/    If you want to see how an onscreen Kindle Preview looks on a web page, its worth checking out. 

Also  http://www.mrmathias.com/MichaelRobb

and   http://www.mrmathias.com/Dragoneers  

To get all sorts of great tips on selling and writing books in the midst of this indie renaissance follow @DahgMahn & @MrStubbsSays on twitter

AND

This is a MUST READ for all indie self publishers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The First Ten Steps

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055DW2JO

If you are an AUTHOR do yourself a favor and at least Read The Reviews

Level 0 115 posts since
Jul 5, 2009
1,168. Apr 3, 2012 5:59 PM in response to: DahgMahn

Quite a site!

Level 0 37 posts since
Sep 30, 2010
1,169. Apr 3, 2012 6:12 PM in response to: R.C.

Thanks! On a positive note, I viewed your YouTube presentation and found it impressive. Also peeked at your book preview and believe you have something good going for you. Lots of luck!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...