Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
21,252 Views 303 Replies Last post: Jan 18, 2015 8:42 PM by CreateSpaceKate RSS
  1 2 3 ... 21 Previous Next
Level 2 136 posts since
Jan 22, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 3, 2012 10:50 PM

Re: Welcome to the Interior File Formatting Discussion (Part 3)

If you order proofs and want to make more changes, do you have to order more proof copies after you've uploaded the improved file, or can you just use the digital proof?

Level 0 28 posts since
Mar 17, 2012
1. Jun 4, 2012 7:05 AM in response to: SilverHawk925
Re: Welcome to the Interior File Formatting Discussion

Well, okay. My first proof had a problem, and I had them send another one out.  I didn't know the company very well (and still don't - but am learning) and I wanted to make sure they could make good on the correction.  But with my second book, hard on the heels of that, I simply used the online digital tool, which worked very well for me. We'll see if that was a mistake.  So I'd say to you, it depends on what you are fixing. The PDF should give you a fairly clear idea about what your margins and front matter are going to look like.  And you can further proof your own copy. You know what the paper feels like, how the printer interpreted the colors on your cover from that first proof. If there is a problem with the cover, I'm not sure what you can do - they don't ask for color bars, etc. from what I've seen so far.  But then, I haven't looked that closely. The proof costs you just as much as buying a single copy as publisher - but if you buy more than one book, the shipping isn't as nasty - so I'm a little reluctant to invest too much in proofs, actually.

I'd say, whatever allows you to sleep better at night.

Level 0 2 posts since
Mar 23, 2012
2. Jun 7, 2012 4:55 PM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

I cannot get past a single error when uploading my file. I've embedded the fonts as directed but I continue to get

The message that fonts are missing from my file. In order to print

Your book using Myriad Pro you will need to embed the missing fonts.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Level 0 28 posts since
Mar 17, 2012
3. Jun 7, 2012 5:25 PM in response to: GB24

Again, no one can do much to help you if you don't give sufficient info.  There are dozens of ways to set up a manuscript, and each software has its own quirks, rules, etc.  So when you ask a question, please include the following info at the very least: which operating system are you on (including computer type, OS name and version), what software are you using to set up your manuscript. If you are using my system and my software, I may be able to help you - any others, I won't.  But there are plenty of far more skillful and intelligent people than I who could lend you a hand - if they knew what tools you are using.

Level 5 6,033 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
4. Jun 7, 2012 5:27 PM in response to: GB24

This is a common error that we see with the templates, the font used for hidden characters in the header if I remember correctly however last time this came up the user simply ignored the error report and moved on to a human review without issue. Double check to ensure this is not the font you are using, if not I would submit for human review.

R. C.

Level 0 2 posts since
Mar 23, 2012
5. Jun 7, 2012 5:35 PM in response to: kbarncat

My laptop is running on Windows 7. My document is written in Microsoft Word 2010

Level 0 28 posts since
Mar 17, 2012
6. Jun 7, 2012 6:12 PM in response to: GB24

Good-o.  I can't help you, 'cause I'm a Mac.  But I know there are brilliant minds out there who are, nonetheless, still using that combo - and they'll find the question so they can help.

Level 0 19 posts since
May 28, 2012
7. Jun 13, 2012 8:12 AM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

Hello.  I'm using Windows XP and Word 2007.  I'm trying to use the Interior Reviewer to format my book's interior correctly.  I downloaded CS templates, and I also attempted to do the formatting myself using the advice they give about interior formatting here:

https://www.createspace.com/en/community/docs/DOC-1482

I didn't find that article very helpful.  I also had no luck using the templates and adjusting the page layout on said templates.  Whatever I do, I still have problems in the Interior Reviewer.  Some of them are marked by the Reviewer's red arrows and such, but there are larger problems that are not marked: illogical gaps between sentences in many passages, the title and dedication appearing on the wrong pages, paragraphs ending halfway down the page while the following paragraph begins on the next page when there's not supposed to be any such break, etc.

I've just ditched the templates completely and gone back to my original file to try and reformat it.  There are still problems in the Reviewer.  For one, it tells me "You selected 6"x9" but your file is 8.5"x11".  When I go to Page Layout - Page Setup and then click Paper, it says 6"x9," which is what I set it on.  What does it mean when the Reviewer says "your file is 8.5"x11?"

I am not very knowledgable about PDFs or formatting a document to CS's specifications in Word, and that's why I'm reaching out.  Also, I literally have no money whatever to pay CS to format the book for me.  Even if I did, I don't think I would pay them.  I refuse to believe that formatting is really this difficult.  Then again, maybe that's why I'm having such a hard time with it!

Level 0 29 posts since
Feb 2, 2012
8. Jun 13, 2012 8:22 AM in response to: GB24

I got the same "Myriad Pro" font not embedded message, though I THOUGHT I hadn't used it.  The title page uses this font in teh CS template.  I got the same warning after embedding all other fonts, but the message said I could continue w/o fixing if I wanted: they would use their own font file for Myriad Pro, and it looked fine inteh digital version.  Printed proof looked fine.

In my next book, I will try RCs or Seals's templates for Word.  The CS template is freaking out w/ my book:

I had to add MANY section breaks to try and prevent the header from printing on the first page of each chapter, and to skip headers AND footers on "Part" breaks (not a Word term: my book has Part 1 - Part 5, with 5-7 chapter in each.  The "Part X" pages are blank other than the "Part X" text.

Eventually this started having crazy bug in the file when I reached ~35 section breaks, all headers and footers started freaking out.  My TOC references starting having errors, and I had to (*gasp*) enter hard-coded page #s for half my TOC.  I hate doing this--this is no way to create a quality manuscript.

1 other surprise: the page breaks in the digital proof and the Word doc I uploaded were off in places.  I had 1 blank page, ~page 300.  then a table I worked very hard to get down to 1 page in Word, printed onto a 2nd page in the proof.  frustrating, but I needed to do another proof anyway. 

Level 5 6,033 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
9. Jun 13, 2012 9:33 AM in response to: Chris7

For those running into the 'Myriad Pro' embedding issue here is the situation as I know it. This font is used in CS's Word templates both on the Title Page and in some headers for spacing and return characters. Due to this CS requires it be embedded unless you find every instance and replace it. Normally this would not be an issue however, Myriad Pro is an OpenType font (Postscipt Flavour) and therefore Microsoft Word can not embedd it.So:

If you upload your Word file and then let CS do the conversion then it is not embedded and you get an error.

If you use Microsofts 'Save as PDF' function then it is not embedded and you get an error.

The solution is to either remove all instances of Myriad Pro or, if you are actually using the font, convert your file to PDF on your own using a third party conversion software such as PDF995 which will embedd the Open Type font.

R. C.

Level 0 19 posts since
May 28, 2012
10. Jun 17, 2012 12:38 PM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

I've been fighting with the Interior Reviewer for days.  This process seems absurdly difficult.  I'm using Word 2007 and Windows XP.  I've tweaked the margins again and again, and they remain inconsistent from page to page in the Reviewer.  Why?  Why can't I get Word to just do what I tell it to do on every page?  I have some text running too close to the outside margin, and some running down into the gutter on many pages.  I can't get my dedication and Part One heading to stay on the right pages.  I'm really in need of guidance here, as the most frustrating thing about these problems is that I don't understand why they arise.

Level 0 28 posts since
Mar 17, 2012
11. Jun 17, 2012 6:13 PM in response to: ArzieDee

I just tried to help a friend with her Word based doc - difficult because we are different platforms. I find working with Word very frustrating, actually. I can't help you with the tools you are using, but my friend finally decided to try submitting a pdf of her file.  I work in .pdfs, and it's a very clean work flow. Maybe, if you could get Word to cooperate, you could save to a .pdf, which sort of sets your layout in stone. I'm really no help, but I hate it when I'm frustrated and no one responds.

Level 0 19 posts since
May 28, 2012
12. Jun 17, 2012 6:27 PM in response to: kbarncat

Thanks for replying.  Word is, sadly, the only word processing program I know at the moment.  I tried saving my manuscript as a PDF, and the Interior Reviewer found more errors than it had when it had convered my DOCX file to a PDF on its own.  But I need to stop spinning my wheels, so I'll give PDFs another shot.  A friend was trying to help me as well.  She volunteered her time unprompted, actually, and I was greatful.  She went to college to learn how to do this kind of thing.  Unfortunately, she had little more success than I did.  There needs to be an easier way to format.

Level 5 15,842 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
13. Jun 17, 2012 6:33 PM in response to: ArzieDee

If you know word, then transitioning to OpenOffice or LibreOffice should be little or no sweat. AND both of them will create a PDF that is accepted by CS. IR seems to have some problems so I wouldn't take it as definitive result. ONLY a print copy will show you what your book will look like inside and out. One thing you may want to try is to save your mss as a Word97 rather than a docx version, if you want to run it and a new PDF through the IR.

Seal

Need A Job? Publish A Book! with Open Office and

FREE OpenOffice Interior & Cover Templates available at:

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Level 0 19 posts since
May 28, 2012
14. Jun 17, 2012 7:03 PM in response to: Seal

I should clarify.  When I say that I know Word, I mean that I am comfortable with its very basic functions.  I can make text bold, change the spacing, change fonts, center text, etc.  Simple stuff.  I'm only now trying to get familiar with things like section breaks and tweaking margin settings.  I also have no money.  If it's possible to get OpenOffice of LibreOffice for free, then I will try them.  I will probably need lots of help using them though; I've never even heard of LibreOffice before.

Regarding IR being unreliable: that just adds to the furstration.  I've been trying to alter my manuscript based on its suggestions.  If Word isn't really showing me what the printed book will look like, and IR isn't doing that either, that's just a recipe for a whole lot of wasted time.  I suspect that CreateSpace wants IR to be inconvenient so that inexperienced people like myself get fed up and decide to pay money for their formatting services.

Go to original post 1 2 3 ... 21 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...