Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
19,988 Views 303 Replies Last post: Jan 18, 2015 8:42 PM by CreateSpaceKate RSS Go to original post
  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Previous Next
Level 0 3 posts since
Dec 6, 2010
Currently Being Moderated
45. Jun 21, 2012 11:00 AM in response to: walton
Re: Welcome to the Interior File Formatting Discussion

Thank you so much, Walton.  This was very helpful.

Level 0 2 posts since
Nov 3, 2011
46. Jun 21, 2012 11:52 AM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

I used the CS template and got the message below after IR:

The interior contains the placeholder header text present in the template. Please remove this header in the native program and recreate the PDF for publishing. For additional information on how to modify the template, please see the following resource: https://www.createspace.com/en/community/docs/DOC-1482

I accessed the information to modify, removed headers and footers, and resubmitted.  Got the same reply.  I don't know what else to do to remove the header in the "native program."  Help.  Thanks.

Level 5 5,992 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
47. Jun 21, 2012 12:03 PM in response to: SallyJ

Based onthe message I assume that you have not modified the template headers and somewhere in your document is a header with the default text 'title' or 'author' still showing. Check the document page by page.

R. C.

Level 0 2 posts since
Nov 3, 2011
48. Jun 21, 2012 12:13 PM in response to: R.C.

When I bring up headers/footers to edit (in this case delete), this is what I see:  on the left side: Header - section #; on the right side "same as previous."  This continues through Sections 1,2,3,4, etc. throughout the entire document.

This is a curriculum manual, and I cut and pasted documents into the template.  I'm wondering if that is part of my issue, since I didn't type directly into the template...?

Is there anything else I can do, short of starting over?  Thanks so much.

Level 5 5,992 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
49. Jun 21, 2012 12:38 PM in response to: SallyJ

Is there any actual text in your header? The templates have 'Author' on one page and 'Title' on the other in the header and it is expected that you would then overwrite this text (placeholder) with the correct information for your book. The message back from CS review indicates that somewhere in your document this placeholder text still exists.

R. C.

Level 0 1 posts since
May 24, 2012
50. Jun 26, 2012 3:04 PM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

I have tried to upload my book file and it just does nothing. I click browse, I choose one pdf file, then click save, then click browse again and choose my second pdf file until I've gotten all 24 pages, and I've clicked save again just in case, but when I click 'next' it tells me that nothing is saved and I will lose anything if I continue to the next part, which is the cover. What am I doing wrong? My book is a picture book only with no text needing to be added, so all I need to do is put 24 pdf picture files into the interior, but nothing will stay saved and it doesn't even tell me what I'm doing wrong. It just does nothing. I'm confused and ready to give up. Any help will be soooo appreciated!
thanks!

Level 0 28 posts since
Mar 17, 2012
51. Jun 26, 2012 3:11 PM in response to: adamacuchie

Okay.  I'm just making a wild guess here, but I think you have to upload the entire book in ONE pdf.  The upload isn't cumulative, as far as I know.  You are simply uploading and replacing.  I think.  I mean, I haven't ever looked into this.  But that's, I think, the way it works.  Why do you have 24 .pdfs?  And as I always say in these replies - you probably should list your operating system and the software you are working with in order to format your book  - and the software you are using to convert to .pdf.  Then the genious folks who hang out here can help you.  Maybe.

Level 5 15,841 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
52. Jun 26, 2012 4:07 PM in response to: adamacuchie

Upload a SINGLE pdf with all 24 pages in it.

Seal

Need A Job? Publish A Book! with Open Office and

FREE OpenOffice Interior & Cover Templates available at:

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Level 0 12 posts since
Feb 9, 2010
53. Jun 26, 2012 4:20 PM in response to: walton

How do I add pictures to the interior?  I am using a template and my words lined into place very well, but I want to add headers, page numbers and pictures.  Do I need that all enclosed in the manuscript? Thanks for help!

Level 0 28 posts since
Mar 17, 2012
54. Jun 26, 2012 8:04 PM in response to: csmiles

I am beginning to appreciate how frustrating it must be to the docent guys who are kind enough to answer questions here.  First of all, you haven't let them know what operating system, what software, what templates you are using.  No one can help you unless they know these things.  Second, the question you have asked is impossible to answer in this venue. You need to find tutorials - and there are some very good ones.  Laying out a book is complex enough when all you are designing is type.  But adding images and other objects is a very tricky business, and you will have to know your software inside out in order to have any control over the outcome.  So study your software - search out tutorials - take advantage of specific software help sites.  It has taken me four months to come close to understanding how to do these things in the software I use.  Layout is work.

Level 0 12 posts since
Feb 9, 2010
55. Jun 26, 2012 9:34 PM in response to: kbarncat

Okay. I am reading more about the formatted template, 6X9 size, and how to put the interior text into it properly. I am using MicroSoft Word 2007 and have the interior in docx format. I know the pics must be in jpeg, but I did not see how to put them into the interior at the beginning of each chapter. I need to know if that is part of the manuscript format or if I insert them later.  Thanks!

Level 0 7 posts since
Apr 4, 2011
56. Jun 27, 2012 6:54 AM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

can ANYONE please tell me how to remove page numbers from blank pages? it seems almost impossible. i work on microsoft word.

Level 0 8 posts since
Jun 15, 2012
57. Jun 28, 2012 9:20 AM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

I need help with headers for title and author name. I am on a mac, i am using the CS 6x9 template. I can not figure out which header I need to insert the author / title info into so it appears correctly on even and odd pages. thanks in advance

Level 5 15,841 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
58. Jun 28, 2012 9:34 AM in response to: ZenMoma

I normally do pagenumber+author name on the left hand side and title+pagenumber on the right hand side. Both are spaced out so the page number is on the outside edge and the verbiage is on the inside margin. I also offset both left and right margins by 0.06 so it doesn't interfer with the trim lines of each page.

Looking at that last sentence I can see it can be confusing, so, what I do is in the header area I go into the Format>Paragraph menu and in the Before and After Text (Paragraph?) fields I put in 0.06 to keep the headers off the trim line - you have to do this for both the left and right headers and make sure the header box for "same information in header" box is NOT checked.

Of course, I am also working on a PC with OpenOffice rather than a Mac and Word or Pages.

Seal

Need A Job? Publish A Book! with Open Office and

FREE OpenOffice Interior & Cover Templates available at:

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Level 0 28 posts since
Mar 17, 2012
59. Jun 28, 2012 10:20 AM in response to: ZenMoma

I'm not going to be much help as I don't use CS templates.  But I am Mac, and I'm willing to help where I can. I don't even know why I'm posting this, then.  Just to let you know someone Mac is here, too, I suppose.  Seal is very good, and I'm pretty sure his advice is solid even though he's PC. I can't imagine that working with the templates would differ very much with platform.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...