Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
50,603 Views 39 Replies Last post: Aug 29, 2012 9:59 AM by R.C. RSS Go to original post
  1 2 3 Previous Next
Level 0 5 posts since
Nov 23, 2010
Currently Being Moderated
30. Apr 12, 2012 9:38 AM in response to: CowgirlCreations
Re: The publication date of your book

this is all very tricky and i've recently been through it so i will tell you my experience which is generally positive.

first off, until you 'approve' the proof, none of the distribution channels will be enabled, meaning your book will never be sent out to anyone until you 'approve' the proof.

but you should join amazon advantage to get your book listed in 4 to 6 months from now. that's the only way as far as i know. createspace will only list it once you approve the proof but that also means its for sale.

i joined amazon advantage and the listing went up 4 months into the future.

i joined createspace and continued to fiddle editorial content and purchased proof (only up to 5 at a time) to end to reviewers. you can even make it clear it's an ARC (advanced reader's copy) on the cover by working with your designer....and upload the actual cover later on when you're ready.

about two months out from the pub date, i approved the proof but only enabled the distribution channel that goes to bookstores and big online peeps. bookstores need time to order and i was told the process of getting your book listed on Ingram would take 4 to 6 weeks so i did it two months out.

within a month, the book was available on Ingram and also to anyone who pre-ordered on Amazon. the book went out earlier than i wanted so i just then enabled all the channels.

maybe i would have waited until 6 weeks out to enable Ingram next time but it's tricky. the liklihood of it being approved on your actual publication date is small but you want to be sure it is available then so better to come out a bit early.

once all of that happened, amazon advantage knew the book was coming from createspace. i did not have to do a thing. the advantage program said i could cancel my account if i wanted to at that but i've let things ride and all seems well.

hope that helps.

Level 0 7 posts since
Apr 10, 2012
31. Apr 12, 2012 11:57 AM in response to: writer418

Thanks for your input writer418!

Other than selling a few to people in person, I only plan on offering my book through amazon, not any book stores or online sources.

Are my chances of getting this all timed just right (to have the pre-orders count on my release date, making it more likly to rise on the best seller list), slim or are there any other tips to ensure the timing is perfect so this all comes together smoothly?

Level 0 7 posts since
Apr 10, 2012
32. Apr 18, 2012 12:05 PM in response to: JohnPG

I am wanting to get my ducks in a row and shoot for the Amazon Best Seller list (am only going to offer my book for sale through Amazon.com).  I want to get my book listed with a pre-order button on Amazon starting May 1st.  My actual release day will likely be May 29th.  I will just have Advantage hold any orders and then at the last minute will let them know the orders will be fulfilled through CS.  So I assume all those pre-orders will be processed all at once and they WILL count toward the best seller list?  I decided that I won't plan on heavily promoting my "launch day" just in case the orders don't go through right on the 29th, but I'm just going to really market and promote my book alot from May 1st through the 29th, and when Advantage pushes the orders through and fulfills them by Create Space, they should all blast up the best seller at once, am I correct?  Does anyone have any direct experience with this?  I have come across some instructions for getting on the best seller last that involve capturing orders on a 3rd party web site, then processing them manually, one by one and either shipping/fulfilling them, but that makes no sense to me.  So I had to wonder, is there a reason WHY what I have in mind wouldn't work or a reason why my orders wouldn NOT count on the best seller list?

Level 1 190 posts since
Mar 15, 2012
33. Jun 12, 2012 12:16 PM in response to: lipmag

lipmag wrote:

I joined Amazon Advantage for this very reason. I don't distribute through them though, so I don't pay them any fees or commissions on sales.

I set up my title via Advantage, allowing pre-orders and all that jazz, and then as the publication date approaches I tell Amazon that books cannot be supplied from the publisher and will now be available via CS or LSI.

I get ARCs printed through a local POD -- you could use Lulu for this, or setup a duplicate title in CS with a free dummy ISBN.

Michelle

----------

bookow.com -- painless print and ebook formatting, custom cover design, and professional editing services

Hi Michelle,

I've learned a lot from your posts. What I'd like to understand from the above line you posted a year ago is the reason why you have ARCs printed through a local POD. Is it because you want to get the book reviews done before you publish your book? I think I've read later that you join Amazon Advantage 6 weeks before the publishing date. If that is the case, you might not have enough time to get your books reviewed. Or maybe I don't understand what ARCs are. Would you kindly elaborate this?

Thank you,

Owen     

Level 5 15,390 posts since
May 4, 2008
34. Jun 12, 2012 3:41 PM in response to: ohc111

Hi Owen,

I often get Advance Review Copies (ARCs) printed locally about 3 months before publication. Locally because it's usually cheaper and faster (1 week turnaround) whereas if I get them from CS I have to wait around 3 weeks for a print proof, another 4-5 weeks for the ARCs, and pay astronomical international shipping prices to Australia.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Level 1 190 posts since
Mar 15, 2012
35. Jun 13, 2012 3:50 AM in response to: lipmag

Thank you, Michelle. I understand perfectly now. CS should have a printing/shipping arm in Australia that can compete with local printers ... (though it would be a long shot).  I am going to check whether there are printers cheaper and faster locally here in the States. As long as I use my own ISBN, there wouldn't be a problem printing locally, would it?

Owen

Level 5 15,390 posts since
May 4, 2008
36. Jun 13, 2012 5:16 PM in response to: ohc111

ohc111 wrote:

CS should have a printing/shipping arm in Australia that can compete with local printers

LOL, lots of people here would love that in most countries I think. We don't even have our own Amazon, although apparently they're seeking out suitable warehouse space, so this might be a possibility in the near future.

As long as I use my own ISBN, there wouldn't be a problem printing locally, would it?

None at all. You own the ISBN, you can print wherever you like. Distribution through multiple channels can create some confusion when using the same ISBN, but that's a separate issue to ARCs.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Level 1 190 posts since
Mar 15, 2012
37. Jun 13, 2012 5:53 PM in response to: lipmag

Thank you, Michelle.

Owen

Level 0 1 posts since
Apr 28, 2012
38. Aug 29, 2012 3:42 AM in response to: JohnPG

Hello,

how does it actually work with publication date and printed copies?

i've accepted my proof (without order any copy) on june, 20th. So my publication date is set as june, 20th. I than edit something, order a proof, and i got in the final page of the book "printed in the US in 23th, August, 2012".

So my question is:

Which date will be listed on the final page of the book when i will approve my printed proof?

Will the actual date of printing always be printed ?

Is there any way to print the publication date?
Thanks a lot for any help

daniele

Level 5 6,034 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
39. Aug 29, 2012 9:59 AM in response to: danilar

The date printed will always list on the extra leaf that CS adds. Your publication date will remain the same in the ISBN record adn on sites that display it such as Amazon. If you want the publication date to print in the book you need to add it yourself, usually on the copyright page.

R. C.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...