Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

30,741 Views 23 Replies Last post: Oct 2, 2012 10:08 PM by Leon_8 RSS Go to original post
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 5 6,034 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
Currently Being Moderated
16. Aug 19, 2012 7:35 PM in response to: Leon_8
Re: Can CreateSpace print a glowing green/pink cover?

In general terms this is correct. Your printer will print in CMYK and will not print out of gamut colors accurately. (RGB is a negative color profile, technically you cant print in a negative profile though there are specialized printers that will print RGB perceptially correct).

Take a look at the following diagram:

There are a number of colors in the RGB Gamut that are out of Gamut for CMYK, these will not print correctly as they will be shifted to an in gamut representation.

As to how your printer prints in gamut colors, this can fluctuate slightly depending on the quality of the printer and what 'process' colors it is using.

R. C.

Upcoming Release - The Order
Preview - https://www.createspace.com/Preview/1100325
Trailer - http://youtu.be/To1IlV-9wCA

Fiction Formatting Templates

www.rcbutlerbooks.com

Publishing Services

www.bulldogpress.ca

Level 5 19,248 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
17. Aug 19, 2012 8:10 PM in response to: Leon_8

There is the theoretical world of RGB, or more significantly sRGB.  But, devices that use or are in RGB all vary: monitors, scanners, cameras, etc.

Printers are:

• CMYK
  • Reflective art

No printer can duplicate the theoretical sRGB world.

But color photographs  (from color film and photographic paper, color images printed by inkjet printers, etc.) can produce satisfactory representations of the RGB world.

The problems you are dealing with concerning two specific colors, initially from RGB color space, are out-of-gamut, and would have been out-of-gamut in 1960 with non-digital printing, or 2010 digital printing.

Our desktop printers are far more consistant and reliable than monitors--if we select the right paper/menu items.

Walton

Level 5 19,248 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
20. Aug 22, 2012 1:20 AM in response to: R.C.

RC . . . curious, what is the Pantone Color Gamut?

I've used Pantone color guides for xx years: Duotones, Process Colors, Solid Colors, Formulas, Metallic . . .  Does this gamut include the special inks and colors? 

Walton

Level 5 6,034 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
21. Aug 22, 2012 6:23 AM in response to: walton

The pantone gamut on the image is a little deceiving as I would not consider pantone a gamut but rather a pallette of specific colours. It was designed as a specific set of colours made to be spot matched. Some can be done via CMYK (those in gamut) but Pantone's system has 1114 spot colours created with up to 15 pigments each.

From a digital perspective, pantone provides translations for it's colors in RGB, CMYK and LAB depending on what best suits the match so using the pallete for a single peice will get you 'similar' results only as you end up crossing profiles.

R. C.

Level 5 2,625 posts since
Jan 25, 2010
22. Aug 22, 2012 6:48 AM in response to: Leon_8

Hi Leon… Some great info here from Walton and R.C.

BTW… I used a ton of green in my 1st children’s book, and I’m using a ton more in the latest one (it has a lot of toads/frogs).  While CS may not print the exact shade of green you want, it prints some fairly decent bright greens (not quite fluorescent, but close).  I’m looking forward to hearing your assessment of your printout.  I’m hoping it’s even better than you think it will be.  CS’s colors are thick and vivid and that may make up for the less than spot-on color (or colour) you’re aiming to achieve.

Check out the inside pages of the link to my children’s book in paperback, and you’ll get an idea of the wide variation of greens from CS.  The palette I used was a CMYK one within CorelDraw.

Dee aka DenverSky5280

A TALE OF TWO TOWNS with over 100 Hidden Animals and Camo-Critters (story & activity book for children ages 3-9)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...