Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
2,741 Views 7 Replies Last post: Oct 7, 2012 10:38 AM by R.C. RSS
Level 0 4 posts since
Aug 27, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 6, 2012 8:08 AM

Children's Picture Book

There has been much conflicting information here, but you can’t format a children’s picture book in 8 tall x 10 wide (with bleeds) a children’s picture book? LANDSCAPE is the preferance for reading children picture books. I was unable to find this measurement in the CS format area. (It seems CS prefers square (8.5 x 8.5? This seems to be innane since NONE of the ereaders are square.)

My children's picture book stats

• 8 tall x 10 wide (.25 x .25 bleed border)
  • 300 dpi each page with full color art and text
  • hand drawn, scanned, imported into Photoshop CS5+
  • final work was going to be PDF

I am about ready to give up on the whole idea of doing colorful children's book and just stick to novels.

If anyone has information about how to do this, you would be my hero.

Level 5 2,547 posts since
Jan 25, 2010
1. Oct 6, 2012 8:25 AM in response to: Nutry
Re: Children's Picture Book

Hi Nutry… I remember reading on the Forums that some folks have used what is called CALENDAR binding to do their children’s books in Landscape. 

Try searching the Forums for CALENDAR binding or Calendar format (search box is UR).  However, as I recall, the book will still be bound on the long side.  I think you need to contact CS directly so that they don’t reject your book if you go that route.   

Before you go that route, I’d look into Lightning Source because you cannot do your book in hardcover at CS and have it available to the general public.  Only the author can purchase hardcovers from CS. 

Since hardcover is the preferred format for children’s books, I went with LS for the hardcover and did my paperbacks here at CS.  I used an 8x10 format in traditional format for all my children’s books.  LS has a steeper learning curve than CS, and about a $100 set up fee, and you need to bring your own ISBN.  The quality is excellent!  I've done one hardcover there and am in the process of doing 2 more.

That said, I would NOT use their standard color which they just started offering.  It would work for a comic book, but it isn’t vivid enough for a children’s book imho.

Hope that helps, and best of luck!

Dee aka DenverSky5280

A TALE OF TWO TOWNS with over 100 Hidden Animals and Camo-Critters (story & activity book for children ages 3-9) 

YIPPEE!  FREE TODAY ON KINDLE

A Tale of Two Towns COLORING BOOK, The People and Animals (106 page coloring & storybook for children ages 3-9)

Jan 25, 2010
3. Oct 6, 2012 1:06 PM in response to: Nutry

Hi Nutry… totally agree about ebooks!  You absolutely positively have to go electronic. 

Yet, I wouldn’t totally discount print. 

Grandparents still love to give “real” storybooks… and kids still love getting a real storybook.  They also love real coloring books.  While ebooks can offer the interactivity, I’m hoping that real books and crayola crayons will be around a bit longer. 

Wishing you all the best w/ your project!

: Dee

Jan 25, 2010
4. Oct 6, 2012 1:11 PM in response to: Nutry

p.s. – you might try browsing the Kindle forums at KDP.amazon.com.  While CS and KDP are both Amazon companies, KDP is for Kindle/ebook only.   CS is for print books only.  Hope that helps! 

Jan 25, 2010
6. Oct 7, 2012 10:21 AM in response to: Nutry

Hi Nutry… you’re 100% correct that illustrations and ebook conversions are overwhelming.  I opted to have CS do the Kindle conversion of my children’s storybook.  It wasn’t cheap… $220 for a 40 page book w/40 illustrations and text. 

There are a number of ebook aggregators who specialize in conversions to multiple platforms.  Bookbaby is often mentioned as one of the best, but again, not cheap. 

Also, several folks here on the CS Forums offer Kindle and other conversion services much more affordably than CS does. If the conversion info on the KDP Community Forums can’t answer your questions, I’d PM (private message) some of the expert posters here (those w/4-5 stars like lipmag, lighthouse24, R.C., etc.) and ask for a quote for services.

Best!  Dee aka DenverSky5280

Level 5 3,191 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
7. Oct 7, 2012 10:38 AM in response to: Nutry

I assume you are converting your title to both KF8 and Mobi, if not I would suggest doing so and ensuring that your final KF8 file includes both file structures for backwards compatibility to non-Fire devices. A KF8 is essentially just an epub 3 file within an Amazon wrapper however there are some nonconforming elements that have carried forward from the mobi structure. Be sure to check Amazon's list of compatible HTML and CSS tags HERE as there are some differences.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...