Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
6,015 Views 7 Replies Last post: Apr 13, 2009 8:53 AM by Sierra RSS
Level 0 11 posts since
Mar 26, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 12, 2009 9:30 PM

Book size/Lulu vs. Createspace

I am ready to publish my book. I started with Lulu and chose their A5 size because it seemed most appropriate. As I learned more about the DIY publishing process, I was directed to Createspace. I bought Tony Loton's great book "Book Publishing DIY," where he encourages people to use both Lulu and Createspace. This would be great except Createspace's comparable book size to Lulu's A5 (which is 5.833 x 8.265) is  5.5 x 8.5. This isn't the same, obviously.

To take advantage of Lulu's PDF-file making wizard, I have to use their size, but if I want to upload that PDF to Createspace, I have to use Createspace's size. I understand there are two different sizes, and the easiest solution would be to just use 6x9, which works on both platforms, but it's too big for my book. The smaller size is more compact and easier to tote around, and my book was written with the intention people would carry it about with them.

So: Is my understanding correct? My only option would be to have a size that works with both platforms? And/or I format my book for Lulu using their A5 size, and then reformat it for Createspace using their 5.5 x 8.5, requiring me to purchase Adobe Reader to convert my book into a PDF?

I greatly appreciate this community. This question may be asked elsewhere, but I could not find it.

Thank you for any advice.

Level 4 1,394 posts since
Feb 25, 2009
1. Apr 12, 2009 9:56 PM in response to: Kiba55
Re: Book size/Lulu vs. Createspace

Both Lulu and CS have an 8.5" x 5.5" if that helps. While not exactly the same as A5 it's probably the closest you will get if you want to use the Lulu PDF wizard.

Level 1 114 posts since
Aug 13, 2007
3. Apr 12, 2009 11:36 PM in response to: Kiba55

1) Both lulu and CS have 6X9 inches and 5.5X8.5 inches FORMATS.

2) with CS you can choose the colour of the paper, LULU has different colours depending on sizes and printers(!).

3) You may try to upload your A5 pdf to CS and see what happens, It may give you good results, it may not. The problem is to add the ISBN if you dont have an acrobat pro. You can do so by uploading to LULU and converting to pdf. You can also try to upload the doc file if you have one to CS.

Hope this helps

Level 1 114 posts since
Aug 13, 2007
5. Apr 13, 2009 3:28 AM in response to: Kiba55

Kiba

I just tried now and there is no problem, you can upload a digest book.

In the upper side of the page you have to chose

PUBLISHER GRADE

you may have tried   Standard and that's the reason the digest format is greyed.

Level 4 1,394 posts since
Feb 25, 2009
7. Apr 13, 2009 8:53 AM in response to: Kiba55

I should have remembered that. The Digest size needs to be on Publisher grader paper so it would have been greyed out like you said until you chose publisher grade paper. Sorry about that. You would have though I would have recalled that since I had such a hard time getting that darn size to work myself when I chose it.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...