Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
243,691 Views 773 Replies Last post: Jul 5, 2016 1:36 AM by Seal RSS Go to original post
  1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 Previous Next
Level 5 15,505 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
Currently Being Moderated
765. Nov 3, 2012 11:24 AM in response to: NVR2L8K8
Re: Hello!  I'm new here. :)

My cover template is an OpenOffice Draw template set at 5.25x8 and 300 pages. 100 pages is approximately 1/4 inch. In any case, they can be found at my website.

Seal

Professional Secrets Revealed in

Need A Job? Publish A Book! with Open Office and

FREE OpenOffice Interior & Cover Templates available at:

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Level 0 16 posts since
Sep 21, 2012
766. Nov 3, 2012 12:53 PM in response to: Seal

My font is Book Antiqua 11 pt. Looks wonderful digitally and in print from my printer, but seems like 14-pt in the proof.

I used CS's interior templates & didn't have any problem (I thought). However, they did say I could upload a .doc, and they would convert it to a pdf. I did, they did, and the pdf looked & printed fine too.

The cover is disastrous. Probably someone else would think it was fine, & there's nothing "wrong" with it in a techical sense, except that it's ugly. (Interestingly, looks pretty ok digitally.) I did use cover creator and one of their design templates, chose the theme, colors, text, etc., and uploaded my own image, the one that is on my Kindle book. But I had to use their title & organizational setup because the whole GIMP thing was just beyond me and my patience. I should say that I work two jobs, full time in mental health and part time as an adjunct prof locally -- eats up enough of my time that I felt I didn't have the time or energy for the huge image-manipulation learning curve, so I defaulted to their designs. Like I said, it doesn't look bad online, but "in person" it's just cheesy and cheap-looking. Not sure how to fix it except to try to do my own or get someone else to do it for me.

Not sure how to show an image of the cover here. Oh, there it goes.

https://tsw.createspace.com/title/4024246

Level 5 7,671 posts since
May 4, 2008
767. Nov 3, 2012 3:22 PM in response to: maryakaz

maryakaz wrote:

A question that I have is whether I could even get a matte cover from CS at all, regardless of who designs it. I seem to remember reading that somewhere. Is that true? Any advice from the good folks out there?

Hi Lydia,

Unfortunately CS only offers the one type of gloss laminate, no matte. LSI has a matte option, I'm not sure about Lulu.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Level 5 7,671 posts since
May 4, 2008
768. Nov 3, 2012 3:27 PM in response to: maryakaz

Lydia, I'm afraid that link doesn't work. Because its not published yet, we can't see anything. Can you post the image to the Preview section, or upload it to Flickr or other image hosting site?

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Level 0 16 posts since
Sep 21, 2012
769. Nov 3, 2012 4:27 PM in response to: lipmag

I was afraid of that. Would I even be able to post it on Preview when it's in the proof stage? I don't have an independent image of it that I can post anywhere else; it's all tied up in the cover creator system.  I'm also not sure how/whether the cover can be altered within its own design; my thought is either to learn to live with it or it would probably have to be scrapped and an original one made. Not sure I want to go through all that, but maybe I'm just tired. That "extra" hour tomorrow morning might give me more zest for trying again.

Thanks,

Lydia

Level 1 104 posts since
Sep 16, 2012
770. Nov 4, 2012 9:06 AM in response to: maryakaz

Just take a screen shot of the window that shows your cover image (alt-prntscreen), paste it in paint, and cut out the cover picture.  You can then paste that in a new Paint file and save as a jpeg.  The jpeg can be used for your previews.

That's how I did it anyway. 

Also, I think if you have Windows 7 it's even easier.  There's a snipping tool that you can use to select a bit of screen and it lets you save the image as a jpeg or whatever directly.  

Level 0 16 posts since
Sep 21, 2012
771. Nov 4, 2012 2:46 PM in response to: fantasywritergirl

Hi,

I saved it as a JPEG onto my own computer, but darned if I know how to get it into this post. Looks like all I can put in is a link, but don't know what to link to. I'll try to get it up on Preview, but you'll only see the front; the main problem was on the back.

I'm calmed down today -- spent the day mowing the leaves out in the cold fresh air. Cleared out the nonsense pretty well.

I've redone part of the cover. The worst part of it was the back -- small text about the book, huge italic text ABOUT THE AUTHOR! ! ! ! ! , which didn't sit well with me at all. I was afraid I was stuck with it, thus the sick feeling, but I went back in & was able to take it out altogether, thank God. I put it (in small text) inside on the last page. So now there's a huge blank space on the back cover but it's much better to look at the blank than what was there before. So now I have a fairly ordinary cover & can live with it. Not too bad, not great, not lovely. But ok for now. Whew.

Thanks to everyone for your support. I'll see if I can figure out the Preview thing.

Lydia

Level 1 104 posts since
Sep 16, 2012
772. Nov 4, 2012 6:52 PM in response to: maryakaz

Glad you were able to improve it.  Mine aren't awesome either, but hiring someone to design a better one is not in my budget just yet.

Level 5 15,505 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
773. Jul 5, 2016 1:36 AM in response to: maryakaz

Email addresses in the body of a post is a no-no. You will have a moderator edit it out. If you want to communicate with someone you should send them a private message via the Your Stuff link above or by clicking on their handle in the left hand column and sending it there.

Seal

Enjoy a good farce

Read: The Curious Misadventures of Tubby Wexler, Private Investigator

FREE OpenOffice Interior & Cover Templates available at:

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...