This discussion is archived
42,556 Views 33 Replies Last post: Oct 2, 2013 2:56 PM by northexpress RSS
  1 2 3 Previous Next
CreateSpaceKate Representative 273 posts since
Nov 5, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 2, 2012 11:17 AM

New CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform Imprint

Beginning today, "CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform" will be the imprint of record for all new and previously allocated CreateSpace-Assigned ISBNs. For existing titles, this change will be reflected on your book's Amazon detail pages and other distribution outlets within the next few weeks.

If you have any questions about this change, please contact Member Support.

Level 5 2,821 posts since
May 5, 2009
1. Aug 2, 2012 12:18 PM in response to: CreateSpaceKate
Re: New CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform Imprint

CSIPPI or CIPPI?

Level 5 13,389 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
2. Aug 2, 2012 12:41 PM in response to: Hetman

Or IPPI?

Level 0 1 posts since
Mar 21, 2012
3. Aug 17, 2012 9:46 AM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

This is very good news for our business. Brown Sugar Promotions LLC has a publishing imprint as "Brown Sugar Promotions LLC, A Publishing Imprint" however we still use CreateSpace as a independent resource for our book print formating, cover art design templetes and associated Amazon distribution. All of our ISBNs are custom and publically noted as such. Thank you!!!

Publishing, Licensing & Copyrights

Brown Sugar Promotions LLC

Message was edited by: CreateSpaceModerator

Level 5 1,924 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
4. Aug 16, 2012 10:20 AM in response to: brownsugarpromosllc

If you use your own purchased ISBNs, this really has no bearing on you. This imprint announcement only applies to CS-assigned (free) ISBNs. When you use your own ISBN, whatever imprint you've assigned to that ISBN is listed as the imprint of record on Amazon and other sales channels. With the free CS ISBN, CS (its new imprint name) is listed as the imprint of record.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Accepting submissions for themed anthology
The Storm is here! View the trailer

Level 0 1 posts since
May 26, 2011
5. Aug 23, 2012 4:14 PM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

Suggestions accepted . Thank you

Sub Culture.

Level 0 1 posts since
Sep 9, 2010
6. Nov 1, 2012 10:08 AM in response to: subculture

What is this new Independent Publishing Platform Imprint? I want to know more. I selected the expert choice and discovered I couldn't pay my $10 for my custom imprint. Is this what you mean?

Connie Dunn

Message was edited by: CreateSpaceModerator

Level 5 2,821 posts since
May 5, 2009
7. Oct 31, 2012 2:34 AM in response to: mermaidinthesand

All this is is the new name for the CreateSpace ISBN. Any book with a CS ISBN used to have CreateSpace listed as the publisher on amazon and now it says CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform'. If you have or buy your own ISBNs then you decide the name of your own imprint (unless it has already been taken).

http://www.alexwshaw.com

Level 5 14,264 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
8. Oct 31, 2012 3:02 AM in response to: mermaidinthesand

When you order the Custom ISBN, $10, you either have to enter your Bowker account information (Bowker is the US ISBN agent), or you are taken to a Bowker web page where you can set up an account.

It's unclear from your post, what happened that you were unable to pay . . . CS is pretty good about collecting it money quickly and promptly.  For that, you are taken to an order page where you place your order, pay your money, and the ISBN is assigned.

Walton

Sep 5, 2009
9. Oct 31, 2012 3:03 AM in response to: walton

(The edit button is missing) I think the Custom ISBN is only available if you enter the project through the guided (not expert) process.

Level 0 80 posts since
Jan 2, 2010
10. Nov 22, 2012 10:59 AM in response to: walton

I tried to enter my title in a contest recently and the website said that no POD titles may be accepted.  The  new imprint and royalty contract takes C/S titles away from many definitions of self publishing, but this attack on  POD technology is insurmountable. I remember reading, maybe in the Community, that distributors to airport bookstores refuse POD pressed titles. Years ago, my family's publishing company was driven to print a few titles in Hong Kong due to the high cost of short-runs. But there was no discrimination  against short- runs. I am very curious whether the POD companies C/S uses are unionized; if so, the union needs to know that there is a POD boycott. Who knows, maybe they can help.

Level 5 3,191 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
11. Nov 22, 2012 6:13 PM in response to: norad

The reason most won't carry POD titles usually has to do with the no return ability  and low wholesale discount as opposed to the nature of the printing itself. You can get around this by distributing yourself and not having the organizations order direct from the POD provider.

R. C.

Level 1 98 posts since
Nov 27, 2011
12. Mar 2, 2013 2:14 PM in response to: R.C.

Hey guys; I haven't been on here for awhile now, but just finished a novel, and if the agent doesn't like it, i'm going with createspace. Unfortunately, i've forgotten almost everything i'd learned leading up to my first book getting picked up by a publisher in the middle of my first book's createspace self-pub process...so I am almost back at square one. (my memory s*cks!)

Can you tell me;

1.Can I go ahead and purchase an ISBN of my own through createspace ( $99)  to use for starting my own imprint--and is it directly tied to THIS title I'm working on? in other words, can I move forward with self-pubbing the novel without tying in an ISBN to this particular title? Just in case it gets picked up again, I don't want to have mass confusion with 2 ISBN's of the same title somewhere down the road.

2. Starting my own imprint--A friend tells me she gets her books in Barnes and Noble, Books a Million etc by using her own imprint, not tied to her name. So, to start my own imprint is that the $99 ISBN offered by createspace? And if you buy their Kindle service, do they include ISBN for the kindle version? If so, can it be under my own imprint, or do I have to  purchase another $99 ISBN for the kindle version?

Sep 5, 2009
13. Mar 2, 2013 2:23 PM in response to: rodreb

If you want the flexibility to have your book printed by a printer other than CS, then you need either:

• Custom Universal ISBN ($99)
  • Your own ISBN from Bowker (either $125 or $25 if purchased in a block of 10, $250 . . . from memory)

However, if you simply want your own imprint to be listed as the publisher of record, and you're only going to print through CS, then the Custom ISBN, $10 would meet your needs.

Walton

Level 1 98 posts since
Nov 27, 2011
14. Mar 2, 2013 2:39 PM in response to: walton

Walton, if i start the set-up process, it makes hyou go step by step-ISBN must be chosen before you can move on to other parts of the process--I am not sure if I can buy an ISBN then if it would get picked up by a publisher, not have that ISBN show up on the title later. Is ISBN not linked to a book title until you go live with it on Amazon?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...