This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
10,186 Views 7 Replies Last post: Dec 26, 2012 10:49 AM by StarHalo RSS
Level 0 9 posts since
Aug 7, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 28, 2012 5:44 PM

Can you publish comics on createspace?

My friends and I will be working on a comic book series in the future and one of those friends is also going to be creating a comic independantly, so is it possible to publish comics on here? I can't find anything about them.

Level 5 2,531 posts since
Jan 25, 2010
1. Aug 28, 2012 6:10 PM in response to: BritComeaux
Re: Can you publish comics on createspace?

Hi BritComeaux and Welcome!  I’ve seen several folks post about doing Comic Books, so the answer is yes.

If you use the Search Community function in the U.Right and put in Comic, you’ll locate those posts. 

If you plan to do color, it’s obviously more expensive than B&W.  Also, minimum pages in any book is 24.  I’ve done a children’s book in full color w/bleed, and the cost for an 8x10 full color, 40 pages is the same as the cost for the 24 page full color ($3.65).  Also, CS charges us by the page, not by the trim size of the book.  Hope that helps.

Best!

Dee aka DenverSky5280

Level 5 5,703 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
2. Aug 28, 2012 6:28 PM in response to: BritComeaux

Yes you can but you should note that printing through CS will give you a final product that is a perfect bound laminated paperback as opposed to traditional mass market comics which tend to be saddle stitched on a very high gloss paper. The final product is more like most special edition graphic novels. Another service to look into for comics is Ka-Blam though there distribution options are limited.

R. C.

Level 5 19,154 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
4. Aug 29, 2012 6:37 AM in response to: BritComeaux

One of the problems the comes up here now and again with comics, is having the interior file rejected because of text in the "out-of-live" margins.

Take a look at  Bleeds, free, 19 page, illustrated guide to bleeds and margins, do's and don't's for CreateSpace.  It will show you most of the common problems that people have. Knowing what to avoid early is a lot better than finding out later.

Walton

Disclaimer: all statements of apparent fact in this post are empirical inferences based on observational data. These are idiosyncratic in nature and have not necessarily been subject to verification. Build Your Book, a free, 98 page guide to designing your book;  CS Digital Sampler understand CS digital possibilities; GIMP, free, tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy Supremacy;  Bleeds, free, 19 page, illustrated guide to bleeds and margins, do's and don't's for CreateSpace;  Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 0 9 posts since
Dec 26, 2012
5. Dec 26, 2012 10:39 AM in response to: DenverSky5280

thank you very much for showing me how i see know i may need to reset the text to fit the comic size within the frame format

Level 0 9 posts since
Dec 26, 2012
6. Dec 26, 2012 10:47 AM in response to: walton

Thank you Walton... this is obviously way more involved than i thought.   i may have to consult privately with you or someone  who specializes in this area!  i may check and see if the products fit the format  ("as is") and could i possibly consult later?  I am not that computer savvy and i want to take my time with them

Level 0 9 posts since
Dec 26, 2012
7. Dec 26, 2012 10:49 AM in response to: R.C.

great an edition graphic would suit them also

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...