This discussion is archived
5,391 Views 5 Replies Last post: Jan 24, 2013 1:57 PM by Sharpod RSS
Level 0 5 posts since
Jan 24, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 24, 2013 9:29 AM

Using InDesign for both Print and eBook

Hi All,

I'm about to start the interior design of a book that will be published in both print and digital formats thru CS. My question is: Can I design this in InDesign and use the same file to create both types?

I've noticed the templates available here are all Word. I can use that but I'm a graphic designer and InDesign is my "comfort zone". I can easily design and make the PDFs for print in I.D. but do I need to do any kind of conversion to create a properly formatted eBook? Or is that a non-issue.

This is my first book design project through CS.

Level 5 15,841 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
1. Jan 24, 2013 9:42 AM in response to: Sharpod
Re: Using InDesign for both Print and eBook

My first book was done in Pagemaker 6.5 and PDF995. When it came time to do the digital copies I used OpenOffice Writer and the Writer2ePub add-on to create the ePub version. Next I used Calibre to create the Kindle version. OO, W2ePub, and Calibre are all Freeware/uncrippled Shareware.

Seal

Professional Secrets Revealed in

Need A Job? Publish A Book! with Open Office and

FREE OpenOffice Interior & Cover Templates available at:

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Level 1 9 posts since
Jan 10, 2013
2. Jan 24, 2013 11:31 AM in response to: Sharpod

Here's link to some InDesign templates that was shared on another board:

http://www.selfpub.info/templates/book-templates-for-indesign.html

I haven't used them, so I can't vouch for how good they are, but it's something to check out. I hope to figure out InDesign when I get to my nonfiction work, as there will be pictures, diagrams and patterns to get sorted out.

As to using the same file for POD and ebook, they are a little different. You would need to take out headers and footers in the ebook file, for one thing. I'd remove section breaks as well, leaving page breaks for new chapters, and to separate parts of the book like the title page and table of contents, about the author, etc.

Level 3 516 posts since
Oct 12, 2008
3. Jan 24, 2013 12:52 PM in response to: Sharpod

We use InDesign for both. Our workflow is to create the physical book files first, then export to epub and tweak the resulting files in Dreamweaver, previewing in iBook. One the epub is in good shape we add a few Kindle-specific elements to the content.opf file, zip up the book, and run it through kindlegen to create the mobi version, previewing in both Kindle Previewer and the Kindle app. Usually the epub files need one or two minor tweaks for a clean kindlegen run, wich means looking at the ebooks in both mobi and epub format to make sure something didn't get broken. Once all that's done we can upload to Kindle, Nook, and iBook with clean files.

We've automated one or two things using Perl scripts, such as creating a Kindle table of contents, and we use PDurrant's Epub Zip/Unzip to break the ebook files open and stich them back together. You can certainly do it all by hand but if you're doing anything more than once, the automation is nice to have. We've tried a bunch of differnt tools for ebook file manipulation in the past, such as Sigil and Oxygen, but Dreamweaver for us is the fastest and most WYSIWYG solution we've found. We've done 25 or 30 books this way to date and are working our way through about 300 titles on our backlist.

By the way, an excellent resource for using ID for ebook generation is Anne-Marie Concepcion's video course on Lynda.com: InDesign CS6 to EPUB, Kindle, and iPad. Anne-Marie covers all the little tricks in detail, such as using dummy TOC styles to aid in auto-generating an ebook TOC. She also does a CS5 version, but if you are serious about ebooks from ID, CS6 is the way to go.

Perry

KidPub Press

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...