Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

9,447 Views 21 Replies Last post: Feb 23, 2013 10:15 AM by Seal RSS
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 0 5 posts since
Jan 23, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 31, 2013 6:32 AM

I made my own PDF cover and Createspace hates it

Createspace sent me an error message for my book cover upload:

"The cover is lacking bleed (the area that extends beyond the edge of the printed cover on the or all sides.The cover must have at least 0.125" bleed on all sides. You may wish to review the Artwork and Templates section, available at https://www.createspace.com/Help/Book/Artwork.do for additional information."

I'm confused because I thought I already followed the instructions to the letter. Also, I published one book before this (my first) and that cover, and everything else, came out just fine.

I'll lay out my process. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me where I went wrong.

The trim size I chose is 5 x 8.

The book interior has 52 pages, including title page.

I'm using white paper.

I calculated spine width as 0.002252 x 52 = 0.117 inches.

Width: Bleed + Back Cover Trim Size + Spine Width + Front Cover Trim Size + Bleed

So, 0.125" + 5" + 0.117" + 5" + 0.125"

Width = 10.367"

Height: Bleed + Book Height Trim Size + Bleed

So, 0.125" + 8" + 0.125"

Height = 8.25"

That's the size of the PDF document I uploaded as my cover. (Width was rounded up to 10.37".)

Inside the PDF I made sure there was a 0.125" bleed of white border between the front cover and back cover images and the edges of the document.

I use Photoshop Elements, if that matters. Final uploaded file was PDF.

What should I do? Any help's much appreciated. Thanks!

Level 3 526 posts since
Oct 12, 2008
1. Jan 31, 2013 6:43 AM in response to: BeginningsP
Re: I made my own PDF cover and Createspace hates it

Your calculation looks fine, I'd just send a note to CS and ask a human to take a look. Our shop typically uses bleed of 0.5" to 0.75", depending on who is doing the cover art.

Perry

KidPub Press

Level 5 10,738 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
2. Jan 31, 2013 6:47 AM in response to: BeginningsP

BeginningsP wrote:

Width = 10.367"

Height = 8.25"

That's the size of the PDF document I uploaded as my cover.

Inside the PDF I made sure there was a 0.125" bleed of white border between the front cover and back cover images and the edges of the document.

If you did what you said there, then that's the problem (you may have misunderstood what "bleed" is).  Your images must go all the way to the edges of that 10.367x8.25 page box.

When the bound book is trimmed, approximately 0.125" of each edge will cut off -- but that process (and the amount that's actually trimmed) is not exact/precise.  The bleed ensures that the printed color will reach to the edges no matter where along the edges the printed cover is trimmed.  Otherwise, the cover would have white (unprinted) strips along the edges.

Hope that's helpful.  Best wishes.

Level 3 526 posts since
Oct 12, 2008
3. Jan 31, 2013 6:56 AM in response to: Lighthouse24

Der, I missed the 'white border' part. Lighthouse is of course correct, the image need to extend across the bleed area.

Perry

Level 1 6 posts since
May 5, 2011
4. Jan 31, 2013 8:14 AM in response to: BeginningsP

You really should use CreateSpace's template to do this. They will give you a PDF template and if you lay your art it in it according to that template (including the goofy white space), it will pass. It looks very awkward, let me tell you, but if you just do by trim/bleed it won't pass through correctly.

Here's how mine is set up:

http://aprilsadowski.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/lfd_cover_examplecs-1024x744.jpg

Mine is a 6x9 book. The actual document size has to be 19x13. I would assume yours would be19x13 as well.

If you want to shoot me an email I would be happy to set this up for you. My info is on my website, www.thedesigner.ws (top right).

Level 5 2,670 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
5. Jan 31, 2013 9:36 AM in response to: Aibrean

Aibrean wrote:

...but if you just do by trim/bleed it won't pass through correctly.

I beg to differ. I've never used a CS template and the 7 covers that I've done to date have all been fine. I know there are loads of others here who don't use the templates for their covers, either. If you understand what you're doing and know how to use the tools you have at hand, you absolutely don't need a template. The problem for the OP is not fully understanding the term "bleed."

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Take the Trip of a Lifetime!

Level 1 6 posts since
May 5, 2011
6. Jan 31, 2013 9:48 AM in response to: Seisa

I will agree though that it doesn't seem as though the OP understands how to lay out the file with the white border bit.

I did do mine exactly as CS wanted it (via their template), but because it wasn't in the 19x13" size it didn't get approved so I had to make a page that was 19x13 just like their template PDF and place my artwork in the bottom center. Seisa, when was the last time you did a cover upload? I wonder if they might have changed their requirements.

https://www.createspace.com/Special/Enterprise/Publisher/submission_guidelines.jsp

"Covers should be submitted on either an 18” x 12” or 19” x 13” page depending on the book’s trim size and page count. Use the charts below to determine the correct page size."

Level 5 15,197 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
7. Jan 31, 2013 10:01 AM in response to: BeginningsP

The only thing you forgot to tell us was what you used to create the PDF. Was it Acrobat? or some third party PDF creator? As for the CS cover template, forget it. Everything you laid out appears to be correct excepted as noted by LH24.

Seal

What happens when a P.I. doesn't have a clue?

Read: The Curious Misadventures of Tubby Wexler, Private Investigator

FREE OpenOffice Interior & Cover Templates available at:

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Level 3 526 posts since
Oct 12, 2008
8. Jan 31, 2013 10:24 AM in response to: Seisa

We often use a custom script to lay out our own template for a cover; it takes the paper being used for the body and the actual page count, which (I think) helps reduce the 'slop' on the spine text placement.

Perry

KidPub Press

Jan 17, 2010
10. Jan 31, 2013 11:27 AM in response to: Aibrean

Aibrean wrote:

Seisa, when was the last time you did a cover upload? I wonder if they might have changed their requirements.

Just a couple weeks ago.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
Find us on Facebook

Jan 17, 2010
11. Jan 31, 2013 11:28 AM in response to: BeginningsP

BeginningsP wrote:

Well, now I have a new problem about how to resize my 5 x 8 ebook cover for correct bleed. But I guess I'll post on a separate thread about that. Thanks for your help everyone!

Ebook covers don't have bleed since they are not printed.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
Find us on Facebook

Level 5 15,197 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
12. Jan 31, 2013 11:39 AM in response to: BeginningsP

As I don't use MSOffice I cannot answer this question except to say that Acrobat is the gold standard for PDFs as they invented it. Also, I believe that you will find Save As PDF can present problems, at least that is what I think I remember seeing on the board.

Seal

What happens when a P.I. doesn't have a clue?

Read: The Curious Misadventures of Tubby Wexler, Private Investigator

FREE OpenOffice Interior & Cover Templates available at:

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Level 1 6 posts since
May 5, 2011
13. Jan 31, 2013 11:44 AM in response to: Seal

Save as PDF really only works well with InDesign, otherwise it's best to choose the PDF settings from the print menu.

I must have missed the part about someone using MSOffice.

To the OP: If you were using Photoshop Elements and have the source art (layered I hope), you should be able to work out appropriate bleeds (it's hard without knowing what your artwork looks like if you can extend the art out). I say should because I've only ever used Photoshop and I'm not sure what the limitations of Elements are.

Level 5 13,653 posts since
May 4, 2008
14. Jan 31, 2013 2:53 PM in response to: Seal

Seal wrote:

As I don't use MSOffice I cannot answer this question except to say that Acrobat is the gold standard for PDFs as they invented it.

The OP is using Photoshop Elements on a Mac -- Preview is the Mac's built-in PDF viewer. Because Macs can make a PDF from almost any program, Acrobat usually isn't necessary.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...