Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
413,102 Views 520 Replies Last post: Feb 7, 2013 4:19 AM by Tdmak RSS Go to original post
  1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 Previous Next
Level 4 1,405 posts since
Dec 19, 2009
Currently Being Moderated
510. Dec 18, 2012 9:22 PM in response to: -Shiloh
Re: What program does everyone use to write their books in?

I'm stil lusing iPages on my iMac. It's a REALLY useful program. The newer version has some cool bits. "Find" will allow you to type in a word or phrase and show you every place you used it. GREAT for overused modifiers and making sure you spelled character names consistantly. The other is a tracking thing. This allows you to edit, but keep the old stuff so you can go back later and see if what you rewrote was better or worse than the original. AND with two clicks, you have a pdf. The spell check is very good, as is the proofreader, but of course, can't tell the difference between your and you're, etc. It also allows you to format your pages as they will appear, insert pix easily, AND allow them to float while wrapping the text. Dump the old Dell and get a MAC! In the long run, it will save you $$ and time!

Level 0 20 posts since
Oct 30, 2012
511. Jan 12, 2013 1:22 PM in response to: kaukusaki

I use WordPerfect X5, very similar to WP8 and WP12. I bought it at a big box store for $50.00 (on sale).

I like WordPerfect because (1) Headers and Footers are more manageable and easier to suppress and (2) one can reveal codes  (not just paragraphing and page breaks), such as font codes and other junk codes that tend to crop up. Therefore, it much easier to clean up a WP file before converting it to PDF. What I don't like about WP: Correl doesn't support its older products. WP12 became very unstable for me.

For Kindle, I use Word. It seems when you filter the Web page, it removes a lot of the funky codes.

Message was edited by: Bugzita

Level 4 2,359 posts since
Nov 17, 2012
512. Jan 12, 2013 1:51 PM in response to: crosado8

To write, I use Notepad++ which is a plain text editor, a free (and better) replacement for the Windows Notepad. I save it as plain text, each chapter in a separate .txt file.

To typeset, I use Scribus.

Level 5 15,842 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
513. Jan 12, 2013 3:20 PM in response to: RedPrince

Interesting. Someone else who saves their chapters as separate entities. I use OpenOffice for writing, typesetting, and PDF creation. Never could get the hang of Scribus even though I have used Pagemaker from 1.1a through 7.x. Go figure.

Seal

Professional Secrets Revealed in

Need A Job? Publish A Book! with Open Office and

FREE OpenOffice Interior & Cover Templates available at:

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Level 0 3 posts since
Jun 29, 2010
514. Jan 12, 2013 3:55 PM in response to: RedPrince

Say has anyone heard about Adobe CS2 downloads? If they are allowing free downloads?  Interesting idea, if true.  These tools would be very useful for writers.  Here are links to story on it.  First downloads because they changed their authentication servers, then news of a denial, then some saying they relented.  I don't know.  Could be a tool to get people to upgrade later.  Microsoft just made Expression Web free, used to cost $$.  Again, I am not sure of the status of this. But it sure would help some writers budgets.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-57563544-58/why-adobe-and-other-vendors-should-give-away-older-software/

Here is another article on it

http://www.itworld.com/consumerization-it/334097/free-download-adobe-creative-suite-cs2-photoshop-or-other-adobe-software-n

Level 4 2,359 posts since
Nov 17, 2012
515. Jan 12, 2013 4:22 PM in response to: Seal

Maybe I should write a book on Scribus?

Level 0 22 posts since
Jan 1, 2013
516. Feb 6, 2013 4:11 PM in response to: Lighthouse24
Uploading a book with bleeds in a continuous PDF file

I have become frustrated with saving my pages in  Word, saving in a PDF and uploading them to CS.  The bleed is never right and I have expanded the dimensions, etc. several times.  The last support person I spoke to suggested doing the continuous PDF files and not going through Word.  This sounds like the best solution to a full color children's book.  I don't have Adobe Acrobat on my computer now but which one should I get so that I have a continuous file.  I'm constructing the pages in Photoshop.  Any advice would be helpful.

Level 5 15,842 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
517. Feb 6, 2013 4:17 PM in response to: Mort
Re: Uploading a book with bleeds in a continuous PDF file

I have done a couple childrens books for other authors using OpenOffice. My brother has also done half a dozen childrens books using OpenOffice as well. It has a Export to PDF function that creates PDFs that CS will accept with no problem.

Seal

Professional Secrets Revealed in

Need A Job? Publish A Book! with Open Office and

FREE OpenOffice Interior & Cover Templates available at:

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Level 5 19,223 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
518. Feb 6, 2013 4:20 PM in response to: Mort

You can save your pages as PDFs from Photoshop.  Then you need to find a PDF conversion program that permits combining or merging PDFs into one single PDF.  Aside from Acrobat (the best but at a co$t), there are a few free conversion program that have that feature.  I have never used any of them, but do a search on line, you'll find them.

Walton

Level 5 19,223 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
519. Feb 6, 2013 4:21 PM in response to: Seal

As always, a good idea!

W

Level 1 77 posts since
Mar 5, 2011
520. Feb 7, 2013 4:19 AM in response to: walton

I use "PDF Merger Weeny Free" which is totally free and simple to use and have merged a number of large PDF files using it, and never had a problem.

Regards

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...