Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
7,658 Views 6 Replies Last post: Jun 25, 2009 3:52 PM by independent-magazine RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
May 25, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 25, 2009 12:49 PM

Marketing the same book on CreateSpace and Lightning Source?

We are a small nonprofit who plans to publish three books this year.  We are starting with our first one and have definitely decided we need Lightning Source for its expanded distribution model to bookstores, etc.  However, I'm thinking that it would still be great to start a createspace account for two reasons:

1. It would make our book listed as free super saver shipping on Amazon.

2. It would be an easier way for us to handle our orders that we refer directly from our website.

From reading these threads, it seems there are other people who have the *SAME* book on CreateSpace & Lightning Source -- is this true?  Do you create different 'editions'?  Do you use the same ISBN for both sites (we'll be holding our own ISBNs)?  Any advice or warnings would be much appreciated!!

Michele

Independent Media Publications, Inc.

www.independent-magazine.org

Level 5 9,269 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
1. May 25, 2009 1:04 PM in response to: independent-magazine
Re: Marketing the same book on CreateSpace and Lightning Source?

From reading these threads, it seems there are other people who have the *SAME* book on CreateSpace & Lightning Source -- is this true?

Absolutely.

Do you create different 'editions'?

It isn't necessary if you own the ISBN (although I've created different editions in a couple of cases for a reason unrelated to ISBNs).

Do you use the same ISBN for both sites?

Yes, except as noted above.

Hope that helps.  Welcome to the community and good luck with your projects!

Level 5 3,329 posts since
Sep 17, 2008
2. May 25, 2009 1:04 PM in response to: independent-magazine

Hi Michele,

First, welcome to the CS community . . . !

In response to your comments:

independent-magazine wrote: "From reading these threads, it seems there are other people who have the *SAME* book on CreateSpace & Lightning Source -- is this true?  Do you create different 'editions'?  Do you use the same ISBN for both sites (we'll be holding our own ISBNs)?  Any advice or warnings would be much appreciated!!"

Addressing your first part to the question - YES, there are individuals here on CreateSpace that publish the SAME book on CS as well as via LightningSource.

1 - You do not need to create a different edition

2 - You CAN use the same ISBN (same book) on both CS and LightningSource simultaneously.

It's probably easiset to set up your book through CS first, then publish the same book (same ISBN) through LightningSource.

Note that if you do go through LightningSource, it's encouraged that you go with 'industry standard' discount (which is approx. 55%) so that this encourages the big distributors to purchase your book.

I'm very happy with how things are set up with CS, additionally I'm just as happy how things have worked out for me via LightningSource.

Eric

Continue to use this forum when you have questions or concerns or if you simply wish to share your thoughts.

"If you find our answers to be helpful - click on your choice of stars that indicate a 'helpful answer' or 'correct answer'. We'd be appreciative of this acknowledgement. Thx!" - Eric V. Van Der Hope

Eric V. Van Der Hope | Publisher & Author

Available From Amazon: Mastering Niche Marketing: A Definitive Guide to Profiting From Ideas in a Competitive Market

After Purchasing the Book - Get Your Free Gifts Here: http://www.MasteringNicheMarketing.com

Level 3 473 posts since
Oct 15, 2008
4. May 25, 2009 11:19 PM in response to: independent-magazine

Hi Michele,

Just be careful about using the same ISBN on both platforms. I think it should be fine if you truly own the ISBN that you obtained independently from Bowker, but not if it is a CreateSpace-generated ISBN or one obtained for you (and managed by) another POD company like Lulu.com.

-----
More tips in Tony Loton's
Book Publishing DIY : The Do It Yourself Guide to Self-Publishing using Lulu and CreateSpace
Available Now!

Level 0 3 posts since
Apr 19, 2009
5. Jun 17, 2009 8:30 PM in response to: DesireSuccess

I have a question for those who use both CreateSpace and Lightning Source. How do you manage how Amazon deals with orders?

My title was just published through CS. The Amazon page came up a few days ago and I just got a notice that a copy I ordered from Amazon has been shipped. All well and good.

I am worried that if I set up an account with LS that they will automatically try to set up an Amazon page and jam up the works. (I own my own ISBN, have been accepted by LS, and am awaiting a proof from them) I emailed LS to ask the service rep how this was handled and she didn't seem to have any idea and told me to call Amazon. This sounded logical, although the thought of "calling Amazon" sounded a lot like "calling the Pentagon," easy if you know the right number. How do you handle potential conflicts between LS and CS on the Amazon server? Is it a non problem?

I set out to use LS because another POD publisher said that they would be cheaper and that the printing was of higher quality at LS than CS. Now that I am into it, it looks like CS is cheaper and the CS proof looks great. (I have two other POD books printed by LS and I can tell no difference in quality.) I suppose having the LS set up gets me into more distribution channels and is worth it for that reason, unless there will be a hassle with Amazon. I would much appreciate hearing of your experience.

John Mickey

Buck and Petal Chill the Anthropocene

Ultimatum Day

Poisoned Medicine

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...