Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

2,464 Views 9 Replies Last post: Jun 27, 2013 6:23 AM by PhysicalSpiritual RSS
Level 0 167 posts since
May 5, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 25, 2013 2:43 PM

What size to make my book

I've finally sent my book to a proof reader. - Whew!

I am also having it read by a journalism major.

I originally had the book sized 6 X 9 but the journalism major says the consenses she gets is that a thicker book is best. She suggests a smaller book.

The proof reader meanwhile, says that she wouldn't consider anything but a 6 X 9 book.

In 6 X 9 the book will be about 200 pages

In 5.25 X 8 the book will be about 250 pages.

Does anyone have any ideas about this ?

Just when you think everything is settled it comes unraveled.

Thanks,

Michael

Level 5 14,952 posts since
May 4, 2008
1. Jun 25, 2013 2:57 PM in response to: PhysicalSpiritual
Re: What size to make my book

Who is your market? I choose 5.25 x 8 for my children's/YA books, and 6x9 for my adult novels.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Level 5 12,281 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
2. Jun 25, 2013 3:15 PM in response to: PhysicalSpiritual

I don't believe you could set a higher list price for the smaller trim size book, and the higher print cost (due to more pages) would effectively reduce your profit per book by as much as $0.60.  So I'd go 6x9 because of that alone unless you had a good design-based reason not to, or unless you knew for sure that your market would have a strong enough preference for the smaller trim size to offset the lower profits with higher sales.

Hope that's helpful  Best wishes.

Level 5 2,625 posts since
Jan 25, 2010
3. Jun 25, 2013 3:46 PM in response to: PhysicalSpiritual

Hi PhysicalSpiritual… Your journalism major probably hasn’t priced books on CS.  CS charges us by the page, not by the number of words in the book and not by the trim size.

That said, a larger trim size allows you to get more words on the page (hence fewer pages).  That lets you price your book more competitively. 

One option is to split the diff between 6x9 trim size and 5.25 x8.  You can go with a 5.5 x 8.5 which is still an industry standard. 

Personally, I like the 6x9 for non-fiction, but prefer a slightly smaller size for fiction.  When I look at the bestselling books on my bookshelf, all 3 of the above trim sizes are there.

So, do a quickie format of your book using the different sizes and see what the price is.  See which one lets you price the book most competitively and still feels good in the hand and looks good to you. 

Hope that helps,

Dee aka DenverSky5280

AWESOME SECRETS for MEN

AWESOME SECRETS for WOMEN

Level 5 2,625 posts since
Jan 25, 2010
7. Jun 26, 2013 3:48 PM in response to: PhysicalSpiritual

Hi Michael… If you like the larger size (i.e. 6x9), I’d go with that one.  However, if the book looks too skinny and “unsubstantial”, there are easy ways to add pages AND make it look more professional at the same time. 

One thing I’ve noticed a lot in self-published books:  Many people really really skimp on the top/bottom and side margins.  That one thing really shouts “self-published”.

Also, you might want to increase the size of the font and line spacing.  Often in self-published books the font is too teeny and the line spacing is too tight. 

Hope that helps,

Dee aka DenverSky5280

Level 5 14,952 posts since
May 4, 2008
8. Jun 26, 2013 4:26 PM in response to: DenverSky5280

I agree Dee. I tend to be very generous with my margins and line spacing, because I've read and studied and measured a lot of Big 6 books and tried to emulate that in my own titles. It looks more professional and helps any trim size look more substantial.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...