Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
2,223 Views 3 Replies Last post: Jul 13, 2013 2:51 PM by troffer RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Feb 17, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 13, 2013 12:39 PM

Proof Book changes the margins of my interior file

Hello,

I just ordered my second proof for reviewing.  From the last proof to this one, CS has changed my margins.  All my files are the same, only updated.  No margins have been changed in the file.  It shows up correctly in the interior reviewer.  It came correct in the first proof, but not the second.  My outside margin should be .5" and it is now what seems to be half that.  Any ideas??

Thanks!

Level 5 19,091 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
1. Jul 13, 2013 12:57 PM in response to: Sharlee05
Re: Proof Book changes the margins of my interior file

Text blocks and images can be moved, and are, by CS intentionally, unintentionally, and sometimes just by accident in one copy but no others.  It is hard then, to say what happened to yours.  What I would do is prepare a small PDF of scans, let's say page 27 (with the smaller outside margin, then the page 27 in the first proof where it was ok, then screen shot of the pages 27 in both PDFs.  Upload that with an explanatory note to Customer Support. (I am, of course, assuming you don't find that you did something inadvertently to your file that would produce this.)

Are there any new pages in the proof? Word sometimes has invisible pages that show up only in the PDF/print, and could throw things off, and maybe CS then corrected something.

Walton

Level 4 2,359 posts since
Nov 17, 2012
2. Jul 13, 2013 2:13 PM in response to: Sharlee05

With print on demand, each copy of the book can be trimmed differently. I mean, physically trimmed, when they cut the margins with a knife after the book is printed and bound. The .5" margin is generally too small for a book. It should be at least .75" so you get at leas .5" after they trim it (and, again, they will trim it differently with every copy of the book).

See the most recent article, https://www.createspace.com/en/community/docs/DOC-2191, which discusses precisely that.

Level 3 627 posts since
Sep 24, 2009
3. Jul 13, 2013 2:51 PM in response to: Sharlee05

CS allows a variation of +/-0.125" from nominal, so if the margin varies more than +/-1/8" from the size specified in the PDF, the book is out of spec.  In your case, where the margin is supposed to be 0.5", the outside margin could range from 0.375" to 0.625" and both values would meet CS's specification.  A smaller or larger margin would be out of spec, though, and would likely be a candidate for replacement.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...