This discussion is archived
13,423 Views 13 Replies Last post: Sep 12, 2013 8:01 AM by TheECafe RSS
CreateSpaceKate Representative 369 posts since
Nov 5, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 28, 2013 1:23 PM

Amazon to acquire Goodreads

Hello –

We’re happy to announce that Amazon has reached an agreement to acquire Goodreads, a leading site for readers and book recommendations that helps people find and share books they love.

Amazon and Goodreads share a passion for reinventing reading, a love of books, and an appreciation for the authors who write them. We both work every day to help authors like you reach a wider audience and make a better living at your craft, and together with Goodreads we intend to build many new ways to delight authors and readers alike.

We're excited to help create an even more powerful offering for all of our authors, and we hope you are too. You can read more in the press release here and the blog post from Goodreads here.

Best,

The CreateSpace Team

Level 1 9 posts since
Jan 4, 2013
1. Mar 31, 2013 9:32 AM in response to: CreateSpaceKate
Re: Amazon to acquire Goodreads

This is great news! Will all CS published work be available on Goodreads?

Level 5 6,034 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
2. Mar 31, 2013 11:06 AM in response to: JoyJoy

Can't say I share your enthusiasm here. At the moment I'm somewhat on the fence about the sale and slightly concerned. What made goodreads a valuable resource is its independent feel. Having no direct ties to a large corporate publisher or retailer helped to give the site credibility. Personally I'm concerned as to what will become of it as an Amazon subsidiary.

R. C. Butler

Recently Released - The Order
Purchase on Amazon.com
View the Video Trailer

Self Publishing 101 and Templates
www.bulldogpress.ca

Level 4 1,405 posts since
Dec 19, 2009
3. Mar 31, 2013 4:15 PM in response to: R.C.

I'm of 2 minds on this as well. Although AMazon/CS has been good to me, I hope that goodreads can keep it's independent objectivity. I know that there are problems w/some goodreads reviewers. We've seen the issue of bandwagoning discussed here. If goodreads reviews are automatically posted on our sites, that may be a good thing. I'm not sure though.

Level 5 15,543 posts since
May 4, 2008
4. Mar 31, 2013 4:25 PM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

I've been following discussions on social networks about the acquisition, and a lot of people, dedicated Goodreads users, are already looking for alternative social book platforms. Seems all that's needed to destroy a community is for Amazon to buy it. Perhaps what should have occurred instead is a partnership rather than an acquisition. Maybe the buy-out will bring on a lot of new users, but will lose a lot of dedicated users who made Goodreads what it is today in the process.

There are several social book startups emerging -- it's not hard to see where the passionate book readers will flock to next. And Goodreads could very well end up a ghetto like Shelfari.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Level 0 118 posts since
Sep 28, 2010
5. Apr 7, 2013 7:02 PM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

I think that is a good idea, and I have no objection about it.

Lipmag has given a good point, but if nothing is changed except good things are added, I believe it will continue to be Goodreads.com, that too better one.

All the luck and best,

S. Hauzel Sailo

http://shauzelsailo.blogspot.com

http://dayofluck.blogspot.com

Level 0 17 posts since
Jan 19, 2013
6. Apr 8, 2013 6:10 PM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

Hi everyone, I published a book. Deceit:The Naked Truth, & I need help promoting my book. Can I get some answers on how to go about doing that or people that are willing to promote to their friends?

Lataya, a drug kingpin's daughter, is forced to face the rough streets of New York on her own after her father is incarcerated. Moving from borough to borough she meets many people, some more untrustworthy than others. While in Brooklyn she meets a young man name Kay'Sean whose love for sex and women may cause deadly sibling rivalry. Lies and deceit has always caused hurt but will some revenge be taken to far?

About the Author

A proud resident of Camden, New Jersey Lynette was born September 15th 1994. She has had a love for writing since a preteen. By time her skills improved during her junior year in high school she was encouraged by many to write a book. Taking the challenge to heart she finished her first book, Deceit: The Naked Truth, in 6 months. After a year of editing and rewrites she finally decided it was time to get it published. This is the finished product before you, she hopes you enjoy.

Here's the link if anyone wants to buy it

http://www.amazon.com/Deceit-The-Naked-Truth-Volume/dp/1482034816

https://www.createspace.com/4140560

Level 5 4,256 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
7. Apr 8, 2013 6:29 PM in response to: LynetteTerraie

Lynette

I have seen this post of yours in two of the three discussions I have so far read this morning. You are making a mistake.

Yes, you may get some casual readers clicking on your link and looking further, but don't expect much business to come that way. The problem is you will certainly irritate dozens of people who like to read coherent discussions and will find your posts not only distracting, but rudely intrusive. Promote yourself, by all means, but do it in a way that earns you credit, not disapproval.

Level 0 17 posts since
Jan 19, 2013
8. Apr 10, 2013 12:13 PM in response to: Maaku

Maaku

Maybe someone should have replied/tried to help me instead of just over lookin it the first time I posted it because I was in extreme need of sell. Last time I checked I can post wherever I want so it doesn't matter if you believe I'm makin a mistake .But I done postin period because I made flyers and have a book signing next week. Thank you very much for nothing

Level 4 1,405 posts since
Dec 19, 2009
9. Apr 10, 2013 12:21 PM in response to: LynetteTerraie

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

Level 5 2,625 posts since
Jan 25, 2010
10. Apr 10, 2013 12:57 PM in response to: LynetteTerraie

Hi LynetteTerraie, and best of luck w/your book signing.  Publishing a book is quite an accomplishment at any age, and I’m always impressed to see young authors on the Forums. 

I didn’t see your other thread where you said you didn’t get an answer.  However, many posts go unanswered.  There are often more people asking questions than there are people who have time to answer them.

When that happens, the best way to get an answer is to use the Search Community box (upper right this page).  The archives are outstanding!  Most questions have been answered many dozens of times.  That’s especially true of marketing questions.  There are hundreds of informative posts about marketing because every week hundreds of authors are on the same quest:  How do I sell more books?

One thing which some authors have had good success with is this:  Give a talk at the local library/ indie book store/ civic groups about how to publish a book.  I’m sure many of your contemporaries as well as people of all ages would find it fascinating.  Fact is… most people don’t know where to start or that CS even exists.  Of course, have your book for sale after the talk. 

That said… imho… you should sincerely thank Maaku.  He was trying to do you a favor.  He was kind enough to take the time to politely explain that you can contribute to a discussion and still combine marketing with it.  One of the easiest ways to do that is to include a link to your book after your post.

I often click on those links because I’m curious to see what the author wrote, what their cover looks like, what the interior of their book looks like.  I hope you continue to post because the CS Forum can be a great way to network with other authors and to learn at the same time. 

Hope that helps, and best of luck!

Dee aka DenverSky5280

EXPRESS YOURSELF (for ages 3-9.   Big Bonus:  Over 100 HIDDEN Animals!)

EXPRESS YOURSELF Coloring Book & Story (for children ages 3 to 9)

Level 0 17 posts since
Jan 19, 2013
11. Apr 10, 2013 3:54 PM in response to: DenverSky5280

thank you

Level 5 2,625 posts since
Jan 25, 2010
12. Apr 10, 2013 4:21 PM in response to: LynetteTerraie

Level 0 3 posts since