This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
9,342 Views 10 Replies Last post: Nov 16, 2009 6:08 AM by PaloAltoVC RSS
Level 0 82 posts since
Jul 1, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 30, 2009 3:46 AM

Clip Art

Any advice on adding b/w clip art to your book when using Word 2000?  What form is best when I download them into my cookbook?  The same form you would use for photos.

I've been looking into commercial use clip art sites and some say you can use their clipart in books.

Thanks again!

Level 1 152 posts since
Oct 9, 2008
1. Jun 30, 2009 7:43 AM in response to: Mommainternet
Re: Clip Art

When I published, I simply clicked on add photograph, but I use Open Office.org

I placed it where I wanted on the receipe page.

Level 5 9,277 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
3. Jun 30, 2009 9:45 AM in response to: Mommainternet

Most inexpensive clip art is created at screen or desktop resolutions (i.e., 72, 96 or 150 dpi), not the 300 dpi you need for your book layout.  So when you select clip art images, be sure they have enough pixels to produce a book image at the size you need.  For example, if you need the image in the book to be 3x3 inches, then it will need to be saved and inserted in the page layout as a 900x900 pixel image -- so the piece of clip art you begin with has to have at least 900x900 pixels to work with.  (A 3x3 inch clip art image at 72 dpi only has 216x216 pixels, so the largest that image could be in the book without losing quality and getting "fuzzy" is 0.72x0.72 inches.)

If a piece of clip art you want to use doesn't have enough pixels to begin with, then you'll have to manipulate the image to "create" new pixels that didn't exist before (note: you can't effectively do that with photographs, but if you're handy with Photoshop, you can usually pull it off with clip art images).  The main thing is, think in pixels -- every inch of height or width that the image occupies on the book's page requires 300 pixels (e.g., a 2x5 inch illustration in the book requires a 600x1500 pixel image).  Hope that helps.

Level 1 39 posts since
Mar 24, 2009
5. Jun 30, 2009 11:48 AM in response to: Mommainternet

When you are using clip art in MS Word, you are almost always better off with vector based images (for example wmf) instead of raster based images (for example jpg, gif, etc)

• Vector based graphics are composed of mathematically-defined geometric shapes: lines, objects and fills. Since vectors entail both magnitude and direction, vector elements thus are comprised of line segments whose length represents magnitude and whose orientation in space represents direction. Vector graphics usually are easily modified within the creating application and generally are not affected detrimentally by scaling (enlarging or reducing their size). Because vector elements are mathematically-defined, scaling simply requires modification of their mathematical locations. However, vector files do not support photographic imagery well and often can be problematic for cross-platform exchange.
  • Raster Images are produced by digital image capture devices: digital scanners or digital cameras, or by pixel editing programs (e.g., Adobe Photoshop). Raster images are composed of a matrix (grid) or bitmap of digital picture elements (pixels). Pixels are squares or rectangles described as black, white, gray or color. Raster images typically are saved as TIFF format, but can be saved as EPS as well. Whereas conversion from vector to raster is easily accomplished, raster conversion to vector is much more difficult (and often is not possible). Raster images typically are easily shared across various platforms, but can be more difficult than vector graphics to modify. As well, raster graphics are impacted by scaling.

So, for lower resolution clip art, vector graphics are ideal as they stretch and retain (for the most part) the shape without rough edges or pixellating.

I hope that helps and that the information is not too far off mark.

Art

Level 0 8 posts since
Jul 31, 2008
7. Jun 30, 2009 12:27 PM in response to: Mommainternet

I have to second that. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I have often wondered what the difference is and noone has ever been able to effectively explain it to me. Excellent info.

Level 5 9,277 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
8. Jun 30, 2009 1:09 PM in response to: Mommainternet

Yes, if you can get vector-based clip art, that's definitely better.  If you're planning to import it directly into Word for the page layout, then you'll probably want to use WMF files.  Are these color or black-and-white images?  If they're color, the caution I would have with inserting WMF files directly is that when the document is printed/distilled to PDF, the RGB color info in the WMF may not properly convert to CMYK for book printing (it may look right in your PDF, yet only print in two colors or as black-and-white line art in the book).  In other words, you may be in for a surprise when you get the proof -- but then maybe not (I haven't actually tried it).  Anyway, that's just a possibility to be aware of (unless someone can offer firsthand "that's not an issue" experience).

Level 0 16 posts since
Jul 2, 2009
9. Jul 3, 2009 8:41 AM in response to: Mommainternet

You can buy clip art from Hemera without paying royalties after you buy their discs, but not much is black and white.

Level 0 2 posts since
Nov 14, 2009
10. Nov 16, 2009 6:08 AM in response to: Mommainternet

Just one word of caution.

Microsoft's clip art license lets you use their clip art for just about everything, EXCEPT books.

This includes the clip art in Word and on their website I think.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...