Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
13,285 Views 10 Replies Last post: Dec 9, 2015 2:30 AM by ralph23 RSS
CreateSpaceLee Representative 55 posts since
Oct 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 22, 2014 10:38 AM

CreateSpace Discontinuing MP3 Distribution

CreateSpace will no longer distribute MP3s beginning October 15, 2014. We are constantly evaluating our service catalog and have decided to discontinue support for MP3 as we work to provide our customers with the most cost effective and valuable services.

Only the MP3 offering will be discontinued. We'll continue to support the programs for CDs, DVDs, Amazon Instant Video, and paperback books.

There's much more detailed information in our Help pages.

Level 0 1 posts since
Nov 6, 2009
1. Nov 3, 2016 5:07 AM in response to: CreateSpaceLee
Re: CreateSpace Discontinuing MP3 Distribution

:-(

Level 0 2 posts since
Apr 28, 2012
2. Jul 23, 2014 3:41 AM in response to: CreateSpaceLee

Can't undestand this. Will digital video be next?

Level 0 2 posts since
Nov 2, 2011
3. Jul 23, 2014 5:05 PM in response to: CreateSpaceLee

I guess they thought the other music aggregators offered better services, so they expected CreateSpace could not be competitive with MP3s in the long run. Maybe they think streaming will take over, and they don't think they would have an advantage in that business.

Well actually, I was quite happy with the CreateSpace MP3 service, and I'm very disappointed that they are shutting it down.

In particular, they are closing it just before the busiest music sales season of the year. That's very poor timing. They should wait until April, when music sales slow down. If you have a lot of tracks, it's very hard to find a dependable alternative aggregator, submit all your tracks, and be in business on such short notice during the run-up to the Christmas season.

Also, I think they should just leave in place all the existing MP3s -- for whichever artists and labels would like to stay. What's the harm in that? Needing only a maintenance level of service, they could save money by reassigning employees to other departments, and still keep the revenues from the existing tracks. It's simply not necessary to ax the whole service.

For me, this sudden cancellation damages the CreateSpace brand. I will be much less likely to do business with them in future. I was considering having them publish some of our books, but I don't think I can depend on them now. What if they decide to pull the plug on their book publishing operation in the future? We don't want that kind of upheaval.

Anyway, if you're reading this thread and you feel disappointed about CreateSpace shutting down their MP3 service, I encourage you to post a comment here. If enough people post, maybe CreateSpace will pay attention. Remember, it's the squeaky wheel that gets greased.

Thanks.

Level 5 12,818 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
4. Jul 23, 2014 6:18 PM in response to: ChooseANickName

I don't use the MP3 service, so this does not affect me directly -- but you make several very good points.

ChooseANickName wrote:

What if they decide to pull the plug on their book publishing operation in the future? We don't want that kind of upheaval.

That's exactly the reason I advise that once a decision is made to be in the business of publishing books (no longer just a hobby or "testing the waters" endeavor), publishers should acquire a block of ISBN from Bowker (or their country's ISBN agency if outside the USA) and assign their own ISBNs to their titles rather than using the free or $10 CreateSpace-assigned ISBNs.

Let's imagine CreateSpace did suddenly drop their POD service (or invoked terms that were unfavorable). If we were using them as a book printer and channel feed only, we could simply change printers and supply paths, and neither we nor book sellers would miss a beat. But if CreateSpace were serving as publisher (using their ISBNs), then "upheaval" could be an apt description.

Don't get me wrong, I think the free ISBN is a great deal, and quite appropriate for a first-time self-publishing author who isn't sure if he/she want to be a book publisher or not. But once that decision is made...

Level 0 1 posts since
Mar 31, 2009
5. Jul 23, 2014 9:18 PM in response to: CreateSpaceLee

Words cannot begin to express how disappointed I am with CreateSpace's decision to discontinue MP3 distribution. It is a fantastic service for independent singer-songwriters. I sincerely hope that CreateSpace reconsiders their decision, a decision that not only impacts those of us who use their MP3 service, but it will impact the confidence in the longevity of all their other services. It would help if CreateSpace provided a more detailed explanation as to why they are discontinuing the MP3 distribution. It seems to be the simplest of all their services to sustain given their relationship with Amazon. So disappointed.

Level 0 2 posts since
Apr 28, 2012
6. Jul 23, 2014 9:38 PM in response to: CreateSpaceLee

Posted a message on the Facebook page...but deathly silence...

https://www.facebook.com/CreateSpace

Level 0 2 posts since
Nov 19, 2011
7. Jul 27, 2014 5:39 AM in response to: CreateSpaceLee

Well it was a good run.....MP3 gets pushed aside yet again, (remember MP3.com? GarageBand.com? the list of MP3 skeletons in my closet is looming large!!!)

I guess MP3 really is the "******* child" of the industry....nobody wants it over for dinner......

But....while this is disappointing it forces me to hone my self-marketing skills and webpages....cut out the middle-distributors....but I do wish to thank CreateSpace for the service thus far...it was a pretty slick and easty to use and navigate interface....

*sigh*

Dick Boba

db Multimedia Productions

http://www.dickboba.com

Level 0 2 posts since
Nov 19, 2011
8. Jul 27, 2014 6:06 AM in response to: dbMultimedia

..postscript thoughts..I would imagine this is related to the dismal performance analytics that Amazon posted this quarter, so they're going through the business assets and probably killing all the non-money maker facets of the empire.I can easily imagine that MP3 sales is right up there on the list of non-money-makers. As somebody else above in this thread mentioned, it's probably already going the way of the Vinyl Record, Cassette and CD due to online streaming taking over.....I guess eventually we'll be the masters of nothingness, because apparantly....vapor is the only thing that sells!!! It surely is a brave new world.....but also, this is gotta be the end of the line distribution medium, what else could there be other than vapor?

db

Level 5 19,218 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
9. Jul 27, 2014 8:09 AM in response to: CreateSpaceLee

Just as I was thinking of trying it out!?

Walton

Level 1 19 posts since
Apr 28, 2010
10. Dec 9, 2015 2:30 AM in response to: walton

Actually, CDs still accounted for over half of the albums sold last year, so it seems some people aren't willing to pay for air. At least if you buy an album or CD, if you get tired of it, you can trade it in toward the purchase of something else. What can you do with a download when you get tired of it? Delete it from your hard drive.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...