Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
9,978 Views 11 Replies Last post: Feb 10, 2015 2:06 PM by Hetman RSS
Level 0 39 posts since
Jun 10, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 19, 2015 7:29 PM

ABNA is toast.

It's over.....a moment of silence to remember our friend.

(Direct link to the post follows the text)

"This fall we opened Kindle Scout as a reader-powered publishing platform that offers authors an opportunity to earn a guaranteed advance, a decision on publication in 45 days or less, the ability to retain print rights, and Amazon marketing for published books. Since launch, more than 20,000 readers have nominated the stories they want to see published and we have selected 16 original novels to be released early this year, with more chosen every week. In 2015 instead of hosting the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award in its current form we will be using our new Kindle Scout program to discover and publish even more breakthrough novels throughout the year. Over time, we look forward to adding features to Kindle Scout and opening the program to even more authors and genres.

For more information about Kindle Scout and to submit your manuscript visit

http://kindlescout.amazon.com

. Please be sure to review the submission guidelines carefully before submitting your book. To share feedback or suggestions for new Kindle Scout features, please visit

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/contact"

http://www.amazon.com/forum/amazon%20breakthrough%20novel%20awards/ref=cm_cd_ecf_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx6TTNZ0V5TDQ5&cdThread=TxO6AUG772EU4X

Level 5 15,840 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
1. Jan 20, 2015 9:52 AM in response to: nesdog
Re: ABNA is toast.

Thanks for the heads up. I sent an email to Kindle Scout people last night after reading about through the link you provided. My question was:

If I prefer to order a printed proof copy through CS and do not activate any distribution channels does Kindle Scout recognize this as an 'unpublished' work.

Here is their anwer which seems to muddle the waters even more, unless I am misreading their response.

Hello Steven,

Your inquiry was recently forwarded to the KDP team.
   If you publish your title in the physical format and
choose not to do it on Kindle, that's completely fine,
we are not going to count your book as 'unpublished'
as it was never published on Kindle before.    You can choose when to make it available for sale
in the Kindle Store and if you don't publish your title
on Kindle that's OK as well, remember that It's not
mandatory to have both, paperback and Kindle. It's
recommended, so you can have more sales but, it's
not mandatory.    We will count a book as unpublished only if it was
Live before. In case the book you're talking about was
available for sale at some point then yes, we will count
it as unpublished but, you can republish it whenever
you're ready. Even though you unpublished a book you
can still make it available for sale in the future if
you would like. Thank you for contacting KDP Support. I hope
you have a nice day ahead!

I am thinking that whoever answered this used the "unpublished" when they meant 'published", but as we all know emails from CS and Amazon are so cryptic even someone (like me) who has worked with military cryptographic equipment can't decypher an intelligent response.

Seal

Pier Pressure

Bunny Hunt has been kidnapped.

Ransom? $50,000

Delivery? Off the end of a pier

Problem? Wrong pier

http://www.stevenwjohnson

Level 5 15,840 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
3. Jan 20, 2015 10:45 AM in response to: nesdog

It must be that they A) couldn't find any decent judges, B) found the money offered was much too much for the cost of printing a book C) realized digital copies are a one time development cost.

Seal

Dragons, Cats, and Sundays in Winter...

Long Tales & Short Shorts

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Level 2 151 posts since
Sep 27, 2011
4. Jan 20, 2015 12:30 PM in response to: nesdog

Wow. I'm stunned and disappointed. I was so ready for this year's contest.

Level 5 15,543 posts since
May 4, 2008
5. Jan 20, 2015 2:05 PM in response to: Seal

Seal wrote:

It must be that they A) couldn't find any decent judges, B) found the money offered was much too much for the cost of printing a book C) realized digital copies are a one time development cost.

Or more likely D) it's a staff allocation issue. At least, this is how it works in most bureaucratic organisations. Management decide where best to focus effort, and instead of hiring more staff to manage the new project, they close down a less efficient/profitable one and reassign staff.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Level 2 151 posts since
Sep 27, 2011
7. Jan 20, 2015 2:38 PM in response to: nesdog

Couldn't Amazon infuse the two? I'm sure someone could've popped in and informed all of us who've been waiting since last year that they were going to toss the contest.

Level 0 42 posts since
Jan 9, 2012
8. Feb 4, 2015 5:39 AM in response to: Salt

Me too...and the kindle scout looks like a tricky kids game...

Level 2 62 posts since
Nov 14, 2012
9. Feb 4, 2015 12:15 PM in response to: Seal

Seal wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I sent an email to Kindle Scout people last night after reading about through the link you provided. My question was:

If I prefer to order a printed proof copy through CS and do not activate any distribution channels does Kindle Scout recognize this as an 'unpublished' work.

Here is their anwer which seems to muddle the waters even more, unless I am misreading their response.

Hello Steven,

Your inquiry was recently forwarded to the KDP team.
   If you publish your title in the physical format and
choose not to do it on Kindle, that's completely fine,
we are not going to count your book as 'unpublished'
as it was never published on Kindle before.    You can choose when to make it available for sale
in the Kindle Store and if you don't publish your title
on Kindle that's OK as well, remember that It's not
mandatory to have both, paperback and Kindle. It's
recommended, so you can have more sales but, it's
not mandatory.    We will count a book as unpublished only if it was
Live before. In case the book you're talking about was
available for sale at some point then yes, we will count
it as unpublished but, you can republish it whenever
you're ready. Even though you unpublished a book you
can still make it available for sale in the future if
you would like. Thank you for contacting KDP Support. I hope
you have a nice day ahead!

I am thinking that whoever answered this used the "unpublished" when they meant 'published", but as we all know emails from CS and Amazon are so cryptic even someone (like me) who has worked with military cryptographic equipment can't decypher an intelligent response.

Seal

Pier Pressure

Bunny Hunt has been kidnapped.

Ransom? $50,000

Delivery? Off the end of a pier

Problem? Wrong pier

http://www.stevenwjohnson

I think they have two terms- 'not published' i.e. never published and 'unpublished' i.e. was on kindle but was then 'unpublished' as in 'undone.'

Level 0 1 posts since
Aug 29, 2013
10. Feb 10, 2015 10:00 AM in response to: Oranges-and-lemons

The Kindle Scout program answers are very dodgie to say the least. It also was only available for US voters which for me is a problem. The program needs work with regards to the format they will accept the work in, especially for those of us that use createspace for the final printable format. PDF copies are not accpetable for example. And this whole question of printed version available on Amazon, while the Kindle suggests as does their response that the novel has never been published. it is a shame it is not clearer. I do like the frequency capabilities of the Kindle Scout though.

Rox

The Enigma Factor

The Enigma Rising

The Enigma Ignite

The Enigma Wraith

Level 5 2,906 posts since
May 5, 2009
11. Feb 10, 2015 2:06 PM in response to: ICABOD

Of course the annoying thing with Kindle Scout is that it is (as far as I am aware) only open to US authors.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...