Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
18,256 Views 16 Replies Last post: May 16, 2015 6:00 PM by Ransom RSS
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 0 6 posts since
May 11, 2015
Currently Being Moderated

May 14, 2015 7:37 PM

Who do I list as publisher in my book?

I'm currently formatting the text and working on a cover image for a book we're planning to publish. I'm not sure who can be listed as the publisher in the book itself. We're planning to use a CreateSpace assigned ISBN.

On a "Help" page, in answer to the question, "Who will be listed on Amazon.com and Amazon’s European websites as the publisher of my book?" it says, "If CreateSpace assigns an ISBN to your book, 'CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform' will be reflected as the imprint of your book on Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.es and Amazon.it. If you have provided your own ISBN and imprint name for your book, the name you provide will be listed as your book's publisher on Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.es and Amazon.it.

However, at the bottom of the "Policies" webpage https://www.createspace.com/Help/Rights/Policies.jsp , in the "References" section, it says, "You may not include "Published by CreateSpace," "CreateSpace  Publishing," or other references to CreateSpace or those companies that  we use for distribution within your book, CD, or DVD files.

In any event, We want to include the name of our publishing company along with a logo on the spine of the cover and also on the first page (title page) inside the book. Is that cool?

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

Level 2 172 posts since
Jun 23, 2014
1. May 14, 2015 7:56 PM in response to: TheFolk
Re: Who do I list as publisher in my book?

Just make sure to list a name of some kind. If you leave that blank, it's a dead giveaway that the book is self-published, and that's usually bad for sales. Try to come up with something that sounds at least a little bit literary.

~~~

eBook Pioneers Formatting (http://ebookpioneers.com) We do print books too!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." ~Arthur C Clarke

Level 5 3,872 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
2. May 14, 2015 8:51 PM in response to: TheFolk

The CreateSpace Submission Requirements PDF says:

References in Files

CreateSpace References

CreateSpace is the printer of your book and as such cannot be listed as the publisher.

Can Include

Printed by CreateSpace

eStore address (i.e. www.CreateSpace.com/TITLEID)

Printed by CreateSpace, An Amazon.com Company

CreateSpace, Charleston SC

CreateSpace

Cannot Include

Published by CreateSpace

Published through CreateSpace

Printed by CreateSpace Publishing

CreateSpace, LLC

CreateSpace Edition

CreateSpace Logo

Amazon References

In order to mention Amazon.com as an outlet to purchase your book, you must also cite other

sources for distribution.

Can Include

Printed by CreateSpace, An Amazon.com Company

Available from Amazon.com and other retail outlets

Available from Amazon.com and other online stores

Available from Amazon.com and other book stores

Available from Amazon.com, CreateSpace.com, and other retail outlets

A reference to an Amazon review

Available on Kindle and other devices

Available on Kindle and other retail outlets

Available on Kindle and other book stores

Available on Kindle and online stores

But, you should design your own logo and use it on EVERYTHING going foward from here and list yourself, or the company/pseudo-company shown on  your logo as the publisher.

See our logo here:

http://danwiz.com/Pubs/Publications.php

Level 5 3,078 posts since
Jul 28, 2008
3. May 15, 2015 5:14 AM in response to: Ransom

Looking self-published may be an issue for those with strong, researched plans to approach bookstores. And depending on the type of book and audience.

But looking reasonably professional, while announcing the CreateSpace name, might actually help in some cases for some kinds of books for Amazon sales. The number of indie authors is huge, with many more supporters among family, friends, etc. I believe one of the recent bestselling indie ebooks lists CreateSpace on the paperback edition. People who prefer to read indie (and I sometimes do this myself) sometimes search for CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform at Amazon; it's one way to be sure that the book is indie. (While those strongly against indie may strongly prefer established branding).

Though if you establish a strong brand with your own imprint, obviously that has nice benefits.

Feb 1, 2011
6. May 15, 2015 4:15 AM in response to: TheFolk

I'd like to see it if I may - can I view it on your website or anyplace?  If it's online anywhere you can insert a link to it by clicking on the large A with the little chainlink beside it, just above.

Jul 28, 2008
7. May 15, 2015 4:42 AM in response to: TheFolk

TheFolk wrote:

We have already formed a publishing entity. Coming up with a name hasn't been the issue, it was whether or not we could use it. Thanks to you and the others, now I know we can.

In that case, it would be best to mention your own imprint and not mention CreateSpace. You can get this name listed in the publisher field using the $10 ISBN option (or in the US, you can buy in bulk from Bowker).

(If my moderated post from last night ever shows up, just ignore it. It doesn't appear to apply to you now.)

Note that there may be a couple of issues with doing business in a name other than a simple variant of your last name, like registering a DBA with your state (Lighthouse24 has some excellent resources regarding this).

Level 3 865 posts since
Sep 15, 2014
8. May 15, 2015 9:45 AM in response to: McMullen_4D

Exactly. You can't just make up a name and put it there. Is has to be your name, a DBA, or a legal entity.

Level 2 172 posts since
Jun 23, 2014
9. May 15, 2015 5:10 PM in response to: McMullen_4D

McMullen_4D wrote:

Note that there may be a couple of issues with doing business in a name other than a simple variant of your last name, like registering a DBA with your state (Lighthouse24 has some excellent resources regarding this).

The name you used to create your account is the one that gets the check--not yout publisher name. You can call your publishing company anything you want as long as it isn't trademarked. I call mine Horatio Press. I doubt that Shakespeare will mind.

~~~

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." ~Arthur C Clarke

Level 0 29 posts since
Feb 15, 2013
10. May 15, 2015 5:38 PM in response to: BLAlley

So as a newbie when it comes to this.... is it weird to just say "Jane Smith Books" (only with my name) as the publisher?

Another consideration is that someday (as in, years down the road) my name may change if I get married, and in that case, I have already decided to change my website and things over to that and have my old website domain name send all visitors etc to the new. So, perhaps saying my first and last name now as the publisher isn't a good idea, since its harder to change something like that I would assume.

That said, should I create a more normal/literary publishing name? If so, are there any details that goes into that that I should know about making sure it is all done up proper?

Excuse me if this was the wrong place to post this! Reading this thread made me wonder about my own situation more.

LilB.

Feb 1, 2011
12. May 16, 2015 2:24 AM in response to: TheFolk

Hello Peter!  I received your e-mail and will respond as time permits.  Thank you very much.

Jul 28, 2008
13. May 16, 2015 8:13 AM in response to: Ransom

Ransom wrote:

McMullen_4D wrote:

The name you used to create your account is the one that gets the check--not yout publisher name. You can call your publishing company anything you want as long as it isn't trademarked. I call mine Horatio Press. I doubt that Shakespeare will mind.

There are some interesting threads on this topic in the CS community forum, such as https://forums.createspace.com/en/community/thread/7964.

Level 2 172 posts since
Jun 23, 2014
14. May 16, 2015 1:34 PM in response to: McMullen_4D

Chris, the only reason to register a DBA in your state is if you have a fictitious name certificate. Why would you need one of those? Primarily to cash checks written to your business name. However, it's not at all hard to find a bank that will let you take out a checking account that's a "doing business as" account. It's still a personal checking account, but it allows you to also cash checks under your business name. There is no fictitious name certificate or anything else required to have a bank account like that. I've had one with UMB bank for 22 years now. I've owned a commercial window cleaning company that's done half the hospitals, Holiday Inns, courthouses etc. in the St. Louis area during all this time and have never registered my business name anywhere. I've paid taxes under this business name the entire time too. No one has ever said a word to me about registering my business name in all these years.

Yes, I'm technically required to register the name, but all my state government is interested in is keeping companies, especially those located outside of the USA, from making false claims about where the business is located and so forth. They're just trying to to keep out shady companies. Here are the Illinois statutary guidelines on that:

A foreign person or foreign entity may not use a DBA in the conduct of its business to intentionally misrepresent the origin or location. Carrying on business without filing is a misdemeanor, and each day a DBA is used improperly must be deemed a separate offense. Any LLC or foreign LLC that puts forth any sign or advertisement assuming any name other than that under which it is organized or otherwise authorized by law to act is guilty of a petty offense and must be fined. A LLC or foreign LLC must be deemed guilty of an additional offense for each day it must continue to so offend.

They really aren't interested in every little home business there is. It might be required for you to file the name (and pay a fee for doing it ever single year!), but no one will come after you if you don't. At least I've never heard of a single person in my state that's ever been fined for not registering their business name. I'b be even less concerned when it comes to selling books through Amazon. Even if they report your earnings, it will only be to the IRS, and they'll say what they paid out to YOU, not your publishing name. As long as you bought your own ISBN from Bowker, no one will ever know you even have a publishing name unless you tell them. In that case, why on earth would you register it unless you just like giving away your money for registration fees to the crooks that run your state? They've stolen enough of my money already.

~~~

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...