Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
9,707 Views 5 Replies Last post: Jan 4, 2016 11:30 AM by Relatable RSS
Level 0 23 posts since
Jul 25, 2015
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 22, 2015 10:07 PM

.jpg or .png?

Does it matter which format the photos are?  I just realized that all of the photos I scanned were saved as .png.  I was hoping for .jpg.  Should I rescan and save properly, or am I good to go?

Level 4 1,599 posts since
Aug 30, 2010
1. Oct 22, 2015 10:15 PM in response to: fun4evr
Re: .jpg or .png?

Hi fun4evr,

You don't need to rescan if you want JPEGs, you can convert from PNG to JPEG with pretty much any graphics software.

However, there's no real reason to go to that trouble, except that PNG files can (but don't necessarily have to) be bigger than JPEGs, which might make your PDF bigger. This might impact upload time, and in extreme cirumstances might make the PDF larger than CreateSpace will accept.

Summary: no need unless problems occur.

Cheers,

Steve - bookow.com - painless print & e-book formatting

Level 5 3,978 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
2. Oct 22, 2015 10:33 PM in response to: fun4evr

I agree with Steve.  As he said though, sometimes PNG's can be larger.  If your book has many pages and if you are concerned that the final PDF might end up over the maximum upload size (400 MB) then it might be wise to go ahead and convert a few of them to JPG now and see what kind of size difference you are talking about.  I have some books with over 200 photos on 8 x 10 inch pages and the 400 MB was not a problem when I printed to PDF:X3.  However, when I created a PDF/X1a for Ingram (as they require), it was well over 400 MB.  So, some things to think about.

Level 5 19,560 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Oct 23, 2015 6:45 AM in response to: fun4evr

Steve is right . . . if there are no problems, don't worry. 

The universal consumer color space is sRGB and the universal image file format is JPG. 

PNG is a good format, but I have had PNG files that some programs have mangled. Having had those experiences, I stick with JPGs.

Walton

Level 3 458 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
4. Oct 23, 2015 8:14 AM in response to: fun4evr

Your question is posted in the Disc Artwork Formatting category, so I'll assume you are asking about CD or DVD artwork.  As I only do books, I'll have to regurgitate what CS says under the Music and Film tabs at the top of the page:

CD:

Your artwork can only be uploaded as a JPEG file in RGB color mode. The resolution of all images must be 300 DPI.

DVD:

Images may be in either JPEG or GIF (not animated or transparent) formats. RGB images are required. The resolution of all images must be 300 DPI.

As indicated previously, you can convert the image format with software and avoid rescanning.

Level 0 1 posts since
Jan 2, 2016
5. Jan 4, 2016 11:30 AM in response to: fun4evr

.PNG for better colours! Itd be beter than JPEG

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...