1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
7,377 Views 10 Replies Last post: Jan 3, 2016 10:02 PM by OlzKennett RSS
Level 0 11 posts since
Aug 1, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 11, 2015 12:28 AM

UK Authors: Ordering copies of your own book

Hi

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I can't find it anywhere.  So apologies if I'm repeating stuff here.

I'm new to CS and am currently formatting a book.

I live in the UK.  I've been told that if I want to order bulk copies - whether to sell myself or give to friends/family - the books are printed outside the EU and cost a lot (in postage) to send to me.  Is that correct?

As for the proof book, does that also cost a lot (in postage) to send to me?  And if I find errors and need to correct them, does the next proof cost more?

If there are any UK authors here who have personal experience of the process, I'd be very grateful. Or, indeed, anyone who has the answer.

Many thanks in advance,

James

PS I hope I'm posting in the right place!

Level 5 5,218 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Nov 11, 2015 12:44 AM in response to: JamesW
Re: UK Authors: Ordering copies of your own book

JamesW wrote:

I live in the UK.  I've been told that if I want to order bulk copies - whether to sell myself or give to friends/family - the books are printed outside the EU and cost a lot (in postage) to send to me.  Is that correct?

Yes. All author copies are printed in the US, and shipping from the US to the UK can be pricey.

As for the proof book, does that also cost a lot (in postage) to send to me?

All copies ordered through your Dashboard are printed in and shipped from the US.

And if I find errors and need to correct them, does the next proof cost more?

No. All proof copies (and any subsequent author copies) are charged at the same production cost, based on the interior color and page count. You can determine the production cost with this calculator.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series
Latest Titles:
Madame Bovary
A Christmas Carol
ABC Short Stories
The Last of the Mohicans
New Fairy Tales for Small Children
The Count of Monte Cristo (Unabridged), Vols. 1–4
Other Works:
Lords of the Housetops: Thirteen Illustrated Cat Tales

Level 5 2,906 posts since
May 5, 2009
2. Nov 11, 2015 1:23 AM in response to: JamesW

I'm in the UK (for the most part) and what I do is lower my amazon price to the minimum, this will may take a few days to filter through to .co.uk, and then order them directly from .co.uk. As soon as the order is confirmed I then increase the price. Yes there is a risk of losing royalties on any books sold to normal customers during this time but it can also spur sales (if you run it as a promotion - tell readers on social media). Books ordered this way with free super saver delivery arrive in on average 3 days. I've even ordered a proof like this (with amazon prime) and got it the next day (I relied on the CS digital proof initially). If you use this method for a proof you can always take the book off sale whilst you make any changes.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Level 5 7,672 posts since
Feb 1, 2008
3. Nov 11, 2015 8:11 AM in response to: Hetman

That is a smart move, Hetman.  Applause!  

Level 5 7,672 posts since
Feb 1, 2008
6. Nov 11, 2015 9:08 AM in response to: JamesW

Yes, but . . .

I am in Canada and I always order books by the cheapest (standard) shipping way.  However, CS tells me it doesn't matter how I order, they cannot decide who the shipper is. That is left up to the printer. This means the printer is free to choose the fastest shipping method and also means I have to pay customs duty to that shipper despite our Free Trade Agreement. It increases the cost of my books to a point where I lose money on every sale.

Lulu at least prints in Canada, and I believe it also prints in the UK. Shipping costs are thus a lot less than through CS.

Check the Shipping to Canada thread for detailed information then calculate what it would cost to ship books to the UK.

Level 0 1 posts since
Nov 9, 2015
7. Nov 11, 2015 9:58 AM in response to: JamesW

Hi James,

I am in the same position as you and also live in the U.K. I joined CreateSpace yesterday and have just requested a proof copy of my book Random Bullets to be sent to me. I couldn't wait until after Christmas to see it so I paid a bit more and it should be with me in a week. Fired up with enthusiasm, another of my books, Potholes and Magic Carpets is now in review. Hopefully I can order a proof copy of that tomorrow if I get the go ahead. I have already self-published all six of my books as kindle books on kindle direct publishing. Like you, I wish there was a cheaper way to order copies if the author lives in the U.K. As I have handled everything involved in my six books from start to finish, I just hope that I have chosen the right way of publishing them. Time will tell. Best of luck to you (and me too for that matter ha!)

Level 0 1 posts since
Feb 12, 2014
10. Jan 3, 2016 10:02 PM in response to: JamesW

Hey,

I've just had my first book done through here, Invisible shores - South America... Was also looking at the quickest and cheapest way of getting a load of books for reviewers etc. I did read that one suggestion was to lower list price to the minimum and then order a load of copies before returning it to the same price, now, I may be wrong here, but does not reducing it to the lowest price simply remove the author royalties? In which case, you may as well buy them at normal cost as it will come back to you in royalties anyway.

As an example. My book is £7.99, lowest cost is £5.44 which removes all my royalty. So this is the cheapest I could get it for in the UK, changing the cost doesn't help me and could cut in to my margin when other people buy the book during the reduced time, so I can buy at £7.99, not mess about with pricing and, effectively get the book for £5.44.

If I buy two copies or more I get free shipping, great, and it's fairly quick, 5 days max.

Going through create space to buy copies I used a template of 20 copies, with priority shipping, a mere $50, and the books costing $78, I came back with a book that would cost me approximately £4.40, with a delivery date of the 19th, so 15 days.

In short, buying your own book, at worst, on amazon.co.uk will cost you about 25 % more, or a pound in my case, but you'll get it far quicker, it will add to your rankings and, if necessary, you can send direct to the media, remember, you have to include those shipping costs if you're sending them out again.

This is just my view.

I look forward to being a part of the community.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...