Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
697,986 Views 299 Replies Last post: Jan 18, 2015 8:42 PM by CreateSpaceKate RSS Go to original post
  1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 Previous Next
Level 5 19,248 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
Currently Being Moderated
285. Aug 25, 2011 7:46 PM in response to: stompstomp
Re: Welcome to the Interior File Formatting Discussion

I am aware that there is a gulf between people who have never built a book and people who do it often.  That is why I posted both Build Your Book, Bleeds, Mechanics and Punctuation, GIMP Supremacy.  All free. It is why I have a 500 word glossary on my web site, and a short illustrated glossary in Build Your Book.

I have made several posts saying I am revising some of these, and if I've missed something or need to change something let me know.  So far after about 3 weeks, I have received 0, zero, nada, nothing, ziltch.  Same for testing color in CS Digital, got questions let me know.  One suggestion!

With pictures, screen prints, text . . .  In the posts I do try to explain in depth, that may be a problem, but I also post links to places for additional information.

I know you weren't being critical, but I try not to talk a foreign language . . . and with many hundreds of pages of free information, drawings, tests . . . . What would you suggest?

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation, free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation  Build Your Book, a free, 98 page guide to designing your book;  CS Digital understand CS digital possibilities; GIMP, free, tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy Supremacy;  Bleeds, free, 19 page, illustrated guide to bleeds and margins, do's and don't's for CreateSpace;  Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help.  Disclaimer: all statements of apparent fact in this post are empirical inferences based on observational data. These are idiosyncratic in nature and have not necessarily been subject to verification.

Level 4 1,483 posts since
Mar 19, 2010
286. Aug 25, 2011 8:00 PM in response to: stompstomp

I happen to agree with Walton's statement. He has great information for the community to share. You can also download a free template from http://www.lulu.com/tinhorn First it's a great guide to use. Another it already comes ready to use. Now this may not solve your problem , but it couldn't hurt to look.

Ricocrossfire

http://www.justaddfictionbooks.com

Level 0 21 posts since
Aug 13, 2011
287. Aug 25, 2011 8:43 PM in response to: Ricocrossfire

I was able to cut and paste my manuscript into the file you suggested; but now, none of my page numbers are showing up. They were, but not too sure what happened, or what I did.....oh well. Guess I am not destined to have cooperating page numbers.

Chrissy

Level 4 1,483 posts since
Mar 19, 2010
288. Aug 25, 2011 9:36 PM in response to: Chrissy_2011

The problem is that your page breaks have moved. Tell you what send me the first chapter of your manuscript and I will format that for you. let me know what size trim you are using.

Rico

I am sending you a PM in your stuff above with my email.

Level 0 47 posts since
Jun 25, 2011
289. Aug 25, 2011 9:55 PM in response to: walton

Dear Walton,

I am full of admiration for all of your efforts...and even daunted...how to print out 200 pages or whatever it was...I would like to hold the pages in my hands and take them to bed with me. I´ll try and wangle it at my work place. It is, as you say, a question of learning by doing. (Dewey)

However, hm, here is a little pointer, since you ask, and I only have one as yet: the frontis page of your book should surely not read:

The dream of writing a book is a powerful,

the will to do it is strong,

the perserverance unwavering-

Yet the soul must be open and vulnerable

a powerful, ?? You have capitals, commas and dashes but no full stop. I'm sure you could do a better job of it than that. First impressions count a lot.

Otherwise I can only say I'm longing to read and learn ... but I fear I'm a slow learner in your field of expertise :-/ thanks for all you do, Meg

Sep 5, 2009
290. Aug 26, 2011 8:10 AM in response to: stompstomp

The free PDFs represent early drafts.  Most of them will or are in print, and most of them are in better shape. However the quote is, or should be:

To everyone who dreams of writing a book:

The dream of writing a book is powerful,

the sill to do it is strong,

the perseverance unwavering--

yet the soul must be open and vulnerable.

That is how it is in the book.

You are right about first impressions. However, if I had waited for a fully edited text, there would be no BYB, GIMP Supremacy, Bleeds, Mechanics and Punctuation . . . I would have no conclusions regarding CS Digital printing. There would be no Music of Frederick Sommer, no images, or Metaphysics. Most of my posts have missing words, which, when I read them on screen before submitting, I see and hear. I would help no one if I had to care about first impressions. I have time, like most, in spits and farts (sorry).  To people who see my work, most consider me almost obsessive cumpulsive about detail and presentation. But in this context, working with the forum, it's this way or no way.  Sloppy and messy.

But, thank you for the post, I know what you wrote was a compliment.

We are all slow learners with something . . . and, in a related note, I believe as Peter Cook said, "I have learned from my mistakes, and I can repeat them exactly."

Walton

Level 5 15,842 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
291. Aug 26, 2011 8:47 AM in response to: walton

Should that be the "will" to do so is strong?

Seal

Sep 5, 2009
292. Aug 26, 2011 8:53 AM in response to: Seal

Yeap! I read it over several times too.  I'm going to have to get new help.

Kinda proves the point about reading off the monitor.

W

Mar 8, 2009
293. Aug 26, 2011 8:55 AM in response to: walton

No. Just go to Best Buy and get the spell checker in your fingers updated. It's only a $99.95 upgrade.

Seal

Sep 5, 2009
294. Aug 26, 2011 10:07 AM in response to: Seal

No . . . I've just got to fire this s.o.b.

w

Level 0 21 posts since
Aug 13, 2011
295. Aug 26, 2011 12:29 PM in response to: Ricocrossfire

PS-I am using 5x8 size trim; if that is the size trim I am using...

Level 0 9 posts since
Jun 18, 2008
296. Aug 31, 2011 8:04 AM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

I'm having trouble getting CS to accept my interior color pages. Children's picture book, 7 x 10. I sized the pages at 7.13 x 10.25 and added a white strip in the gutter. But this is the message I'm getting:

"It appears that images in the interior file should be full-bleed (take up the whole page). Full bleed images should extend at least .125" beyond the book's trim size from the top, bottom and outer edges with all live elements at least .25" away from the final book's trim lines."

I can't see what I'm going wrong.

Is there a way for me to attach a sample page here?

Mar 8, 2009
297. Aug 31, 2011 8:09 AM in response to: JeanT

From the sound of it it sounds as if you have one of two problems. #1 your images don't extend 1/8 of an inch beyond the top, bottom and outside edges of the page. #2 you have something in your images that CS believes is a letter, glyph, or could be construed by the computer to be text or a glyph.

Take a close look at your images and see if, maybe, a sign in the image is overlapping the trim area. Something like "Auto Repair" along one edge, even though it may be imagery the converter will see it as possible text.

Seal

Sep 5, 2009
298. Aug 31, 2011 8:23 AM in response to: JeanT

Because of CS's simplistic guidelines, bleeds (with the "out-of-live" margin) are often much more complicated than they should be.

Take a look at Bleeds, free, 19 page, illustrated guide to bleeds and margins, do's and don't's for CreateSpace. The problem might be the "live elements" issue. The interiors have a 0.25" no-text/no live element/out of live margins, but on covers it's now 0.125".

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation, free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation  Build Your Book, a free, 98 page guide to designing your book;  CS Digital understand CS digital possibilities; GIMP, free, tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy Supremacy;  Bleeds, free, 19 page, illustrated guide to bleeds and margins, do's and don't's for CreateSpace;  Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help.  Disclaimer: all statements of apparent fact in this post are empirical inferences based on observational data. These are idiosyncratic in nature and have not necessarily been subject to verification.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...