Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
9,210 Views 13 Replies Last post: Apr 17, 2010 4:30 PM by DuncanLong RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Dec 4, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 27, 2009 7:00 AM

Cover art format?

I have created a cover for my book.  It is an illustration.  What format does CS accept for coverart?
Thank you in advance
Level 5 13,396 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
1. Sep 27, 2009 10:08 PM in response to: cableguy
Re: Cover art format?
PDF. Seal
Level 2 209 posts since
Sep 9, 2009
2. Sep 28, 2009 5:09 AM in response to: Seal
Yep, PDF is the way it is...
Level 5 14,268 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Oct 2, 2009 8:16 AM in response to: cableguy
Ultimately you submit it as a PDF, but I assume you want more than that.  What image software do you work with, if any?
Mar 8, 2009
4. Oct 2, 2009 8:54 AM in response to: cableguy
I use PaintShop Pro 9 for the grapics and Pagemaker 6.5 for the layout and PDF creation through PDF995. Most of the people here seem to be using Word of some variation and have a lot more problems than I do with the desktop publishing software. Some people are also using Photoshop for their covers and not having problems at all. I think it all has to do with the user's familiarity with the software being used. Seal
Level 0 18 posts since
Sep 2, 2009
5. Oct 3, 2009 4:19 PM in response to: Seal

Well it looks like I am stuck again....I figured out how to make my cover and so far I think it is exactly as I hoped...but now for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it to become a pdf....I made it in Picture It and have saved it as jpg...I even downloaded the 995 cover creator but for the life of me I don't understand how to get my picture.  If I click on file and then open....it seems like a whole different type of lingo...do you have any advise?

Mar 8, 2009
6. Oct 3, 2009 4:25 PM in response to: CCADISH
Again, the question is asked - What software are you using to generate your cover art? Seal
Level 0 18 posts since
Sep 2, 2009
7. Oct 3, 2009 4:30 PM in response to: Seal
I used the template from 48hrs books and then I put my photos into the template from PictureIt.  Is that what you are asking?
Mar 8, 2009
8. Oct 3, 2009 8:08 PM in response to: CCADISH
Yes, that is the question I was asking. Sorry, I don't know the program, and rather than steer you wrong, I can't help you. Seal
Level 5 14,268 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
10. Oct 6, 2009 9:24 AM in response to: CCADISH

If I understand your situation--

You use pdf995 like a printer.  That is, when it installs, it is listed as a printer.  When you want to convert a file to PDF, you "Print" it, but you select pdf995 as the printer not your Epson or HP.  Make sense?

If it doesn't work, you may want to try a different PDF maker.  I posted a quick, subjective, test, take a look.

Walton

Level 1 24 posts since
Jun 4, 2009
11. Oct 11, 2009 2:06 PM in response to: cableguy

I did my front and back covers as .JPG text over graphics, and then used CS cover wizard with "The Palm" format to upload the front cover .JPG and the back cover .JPG (Yes I had to crop them to be close to the size of the cover) and then chose a compatible color and font for the spine.  It worked well.  I used Picassa 3 to put the title and back cover text over .jpg photographs.  So, I didn't do the whole cover as a .PDF.

One advantage of this is the cover wizard calculates the size of the spine from my uploaded .PDF interior number of pages. So I don't have to do that.

Logan

Mar 8, 2009
12. Oct 11, 2009 7:39 PM in response to: cableguy
PDF stands for "portable document file" It is not a text only document file. Anything you put in your manuscript or cover file will be saved into the PDF. Seal
Level 0 9 posts since
May 2, 2008
13. Apr 17, 2010 4:30 PM in response to: cableguy

Generally an illustration is created in a paint program (Photopaint, Photoshop, etc) and saved as a TIF, low-compression JPG, or other common format. This is then imported into a layout program like InDesign, PagePlus, etc., etc., to add the lettering, add the back cover, ISBN number, and so forth.

One the layout is finalized, the program then can "print" or export a PDF with the "bleed" (the area that will be trimmed off, allowing the picture to go right to the edge of the cover). This can then be submitted to a publisher.

PDF files have pretty much become the standard for printing books these days. However there are a number of different formats, some better than others. So it is good to read a press's FAQs or other information so the PDF you produce will look its best when going to print.

--Duncan

=====================

Freelance illustrator for HarperCollins, PS Publishing, Pocket Books, Solomon Press, Fort Ross, Asimov's Science Fiction, and many other publishers and self-publishing authors. See my cover illustrations at: http://DuncanLong.com/art.html

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...