Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
5,956 Views 5 Replies Last post: Feb 20, 2016 8:31 AM by Hetman RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Feb 1, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 14, 2015 12:28 PM

How I can traslate my book?

Hi , I write from Italy and I would like to traslate my book in english language, is there a service to pay for it? Tell me or if you know an english person who wants to traslate it to me, I'll pay him, of course....thanks a lot....

Level 5 19,170 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
1. Sep 14, 2015 12:53 PM in response to: Chloeblanca
Re: How I can traslate my book?

There are lots of translators in the world, from good to bad.  Most translators are aware of the problems inherent in translating, so they will/should give you a sample translation of a small section of your book.  However this won't tell you that much because you need to evaluate the English. So step two is to have a back translation made: from the English back into Italian.  So you've got Italian > English > Italian.  The back translation needs to be done by someone else!

If you like what you see in the samples, you might not have to have the entire English translation taken back into Italian.  Obviously, if cost and time are not factors, you should absolutely have the entire book translated from English back into Italian. 

Do a Google search for translators. 

When I was in advertising, we hada headline: Goodyear . . . Tire of Champions.  In French, champion is champion, but the German agency misread it thinking they meant champignon . . . and their headline was Goodyear . . . Tire of Mushrooms (when translated back into English).  Elctorlux vacuum cleaners, ad agency in Taiwan, had a US campain, "Nothing sucks like an Electrolux." 

Walton

Level 0 1 posts since
Feb 19, 2016
2. Feb 19, 2016 7:08 AM in response to: Chloeblanca

Be sure to pick up native speakers and those who have appropriate experience.

There is no universal translator; everyone has his or her own area of proficiency. The same thing as with writers.

Basically, you won't search for a translator by yourself: bettern to use agencies for this purpose.

Greetings from buyessayhelp.net.

Level 4 2,608 posts since
Sep 30, 2014
3. Feb 19, 2016 7:51 AM in response to: walton

All the copywriters and art directors on Oldsmobile when I worked at Leo Burnett in Chicago had a good laugh when Chevy introduced their new model in Mexico. NOVA shouted the headline. In Spanish ... "no go."

At my agency in London, your translation suggestion was a rule, not a choice. Especially with the Russians. What they could do with "The spirit is strong, but the flesh is weak."

Temple

Message was edited by: templewms

Level 5 19,170 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
4. Feb 19, 2016 10:46 AM in response to: templewms

One of my favorite columns in Advertising Age was one that gave examples (usually, I hope, made-up) of bad back translations.  The only one I remember was Dove Bar: into French back into English . . . Pigeon on a Stick.

Walton

Level 5 2,880 posts since
May 5, 2009
5. Feb 20, 2016 8:31 AM in response to: Chloeblanca

Try Babelcube. They match authors with translators to publish books. There are no fees is it all royalty share based but beware that you must have a native speaker proof read the finished translation. I've had some bad reviews because the translation into a foreign language was not good enough.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...