Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
4,256 Views 3 Replies Last post: Jul 20, 2016 8:18 AM by alanxxx RSS
Level 0 8 posts since
Jun 9, 2016
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 20, 2016 12:58 AM

Images

The CreatSpace instructions state:

Images may be CMYK or RGB color. All images should be sized at 100%, flattened to one layer and placed in your document at a minimum resolution of 300 DPI.

My question is what constitutes an image? Is it only photos or does it also include figures such as graphs done on Excel?

Level 5 5,216 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Jul 20, 2016 1:52 AM in response to: AndrewL
Re: Images

If you're taking a screen shot of the Excel graph and inserting it in your document as a .jpg file or something similar, then it's an image. An image is anything inserted in the file that is of an image file type (such as .jpg, .png, .tif, .gif, etc.).

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series
Latest Titles:
A Tale of Two Cities
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Les Misérables
Madame Bovary
A Christmas Carol
ABC Short Stories
The Last of the Mohicans
The Count of Monte Cristo (Unabridged), Vols. 1–4
Other Works:
Lords of the Housetops: Thirteen Illustrated Cat Tales

Level 1 40 posts since
Apr 4, 2016
3. Jul 20, 2016 8:18 AM in response to: AndrewL
Re: Images

I had trouble with one image in my book from Wikipedia -- likely because it was a PNG with a transparency effect that was not removed/flattened by my PDF creation program (Adobe Acrobat Pro). I suggest avoiding that image format; i.e., do a conversion to, say, JPEG.

For BOOKS, interior images lower than 300 dpi are not a deal killer -- your submission will still be approved (assuming no fatal violations of other guidelines), and the low resolution will simply be noted by the reviewer. Then, it will be up to you to decide if the final (printed) proof has acceptable quality for your purpose. But for "disc artwork", I don't know, but my reaction is to think of disc artwork like a book cover. There, you should make every effort to use a high quality (300 dpi) image.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...