Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
38,360 Views 7 Replies Last post: Nov 9, 2009 3:03 PM by kootdawg RSS
Level 0 9 posts since
Nov 1, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 9, 2009 11:01 AM

Working on a coloring book. Its my first book. Where to begin??

Im working on a childrens coloring book which is 90% complete. I want to get it published and out on the market. Is create space right for me? My book will consist of about 70 pages of line art and activities. Does create space have the materials i need to produce such a book? Cost is also an issue. Coloring books usually are low cost retail. Will it cost to much to produce each book to be able to have a retail of about $4 dollars and still make good royalties?

Thanks..

Level 5 19,049 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
1. Nov 9, 2009 11:55 AM in response to: kootdawg
Re: Working on a coloring book. Its my first book. Where to begin??

The only way to sell low and make lots of money is to publish  a few thousand copies (realistically probably 5,000 to 10,000). Print on demand is a viable model for what you want to do.

You can calculate the costs easily enough to see if CS will work for you.  As for the tools . . . you need to be able to prepare a PDF file, so how you get there is your problem.  Here is some information that may help, in Build Your Book, it's free:

Post It Use White Memo 110309.jpg

http://www.12on14.com/pages/createspace.htm

or

https://www.createspace.com/Preview/1061521

Level 5 15,307 posts since
May 4, 2008
3. Nov 9, 2009 1:24 PM in response to: kootdawg

I don't think you'll realistically be able to sell your book for $4.00. Production alone is $3.66 (or $2.15 under Pro Plan). Then Amazon has to take their cut (40%).

Read this page to work out your pricing: https://www.createspace.com/Products/Book/#content2

Level 5 19,049 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
4. Nov 9, 2009 1:38 PM in response to: kootdawg

The lowest price for 24-40 page color books on CS is $3.65, then CS gets 20% and/or Amazon gets 40%. So, roughly, if you listed a color book for $6.09, you would get $0 for an Amazon sale and $1.21 for a CS sale.  BUT you could buy the book for $3.65 and sell it directly for whatever you want.

There are a few online sites that will give offset lithographic printing costs.  Here's an idea of what you'll find:

250    40 page full color books $3400 . . . 13.70 each

500    40 page full color books $3720 . . .   7.43 each

1000    40 page full color books $4300 . . .   4.30 each

1500    40 page full color books $4900 . . .   3.26 each

I couldn't get prices at the 2000+ level, but they keep getting better and better.  The catch: you have to pay up front, and you will have boxes and boxes delivered to your house, and you will have to handle the fulfillment.  There are fulfillment houses, some even tie in with printers and binderies. A fulfillment house will stock your work, handle and ship orders, and bill you a monthly fee.

walton

Level 4 1,303 posts since
Aug 11, 2007
5. Nov 9, 2009 2:18 PM in response to: kootdawg

You could retail it for $4 but you wouldn't make much money -- we have a similar sized book and, under pro plan, the cheapest we can sell it for on Amazon is $3.89, at which point we make no money; at $4 we would make 25 cents per copy. The books cost us $2.15 + shipping if we order direct, so it would be feasible to buy it  in bulk and market it yourself at a profit.

Workbooks -- at least the kind that sell for $4 -- are generally printed on pulp/newsprint. You could charge more for the better paper and nicer cover.

You can get a better deal at a local printer. They can print on newsprint with a saddle stitch (stapled, like a magazine) for probably less than $1 a copy, if you ordered, say, 1,000. It would be worthwhile getting some price quotes from local printers.

Susan

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...