Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
2,473 Views 3 Replies Last post: Jan 8, 2017 7:44 AM by Lighthouse24 RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Nov 29, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 7, 2017 6:04 PM

Getting around "Non-returnable item" in bookstores

Hi everyone. I hope there is someone here who can help with this. I went to a few Barnes & Nobles in hopes of doing a book signing/workshop for my book and they wouldn't let me hold an event because the book comes up as a "non-returnable item." I know there has to be someone who has found a way to go around it. Since I am the publisher, couldn't I offer the store a discount back? I called CS and they said there have been a few authors who have gotten around this. My question is how???

Level 3 917 posts since
May 25, 2010
1. Jan 7, 2017 6:18 PM in response to: Travelwithliz
Re: Getting around "Non-returnable item" in bookstores

Get to know the Manager.

Offer them books on consignment so they deal directly with you and don't have to deal with CS/Amazon.

Magic_Man

===================================================

Yes, you CAN format your manuscript into a book format with MS Word.

http://briskiconsulting.teachable.com/

Click the link to reach a step-by-step video course.

I've made the lesson on inserting Page Numbers FREE so you can see my teaching style and detail.

Level 4 2,558 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
2. Jan 7, 2017 6:50 PM in response to: Magic_Man

MM is correct.  But, bear in mind that unless your books sell within 30 days you'll have to buy them back.  You could potentially lose a lot of money.

This is the reason POD is so popular.

Level 5 12,995 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
3. Jan 8, 2017 7:44 AM in response to: Travelwithliz

If your sales strategy relies on placing books in B&N bookstores, and  if you don't want to supply them yourself as suggested above, then IngramSpark  may be the better option than CreateSpace. IngramSpark provides the ability to set a trade  discount and allow returns -- which brick-and-mortar bookstores normally require. But be  careful. The unit profit margin with print-on-demand is relatively low,  and once bookstores decide to stock a title, they tend to order more copies than they ever expect to sell -- so the returns can end up costing you more than you make.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...