Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

16,319 Views 29 Replies Last post: Nov 3, 2009 7:44 AM by walton RSS
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 0 21 posts since
Jun 16, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 1, 2008 6:57 AM

DPI - Resolution and size issue!

How do I condense my interior file to meet the 200 mb requirements and still keep my 40- 300 dpi images at 300 dpi?

And... I don't understand full bleeds at all. So, if I have a book that is 8.25 x 8.25 and have pulled some images so the are not visiable on the page, I still have to increase my book size? This is what the email said, "For example, the interior PDF file for a 7" x 10" book should be 7.125" x 10.25.".

So, it would be 8.38 x 8.5?

The first time doing anything is hard, but when there is just so much... No wonder not everyone does this!

Thanks, Tami Jo

Level 2 214 posts since
Aug 15, 2007
1. Oct 1, 2008 7:39 AM in response to: HorseshoePub
Re: DPI - Resolution and size issue!

Yes, you understand the full bleed process.  There just needs to be a little extra on the page so that it can be trimmed off.

I presume the images you refer to are all full bleed.  Size them in your graphics program to the finished page size - 2513 x 2550 pixels.  I save my images as PNG files - size is smaller than some other formats, PNG is nonlossy, and saving as PNG automatically flattens images to one layer in most cases.  If your file is still too large, you may have to save images as JPG, but don't compress to more than 90%.  I've heard, but not confirmed, that JPGs can be compressed to 90% without obvious degradation in POD books.

When you "print to" PDF, you can change the general settings (in Acrobat, anyway) to save the PDF at 1200 dpi rather than the default of 2400.  If the PDF file is still too large, you can open it and (again, in Acrobat) and click File>Reduce File Size.  I've seen this done in a few instances where no discernable degradation in the printed images could be seen.

Good luck!

Level 0 11 posts since
Sep 15, 2008
4. Oct 1, 2008 10:53 AM in response to: HorseshoePub

oops

Level 2 214 posts since
Aug 15, 2007
5. Oct 1, 2008 10:59 AM in response to: HorseshoePub

Your 240 and 301 images will be okay.  172 is pretty shaky, and don?t even consider the 72-dpi image.  Thing is, if you try to turn the lo-rez 72 dpi image into a hi-rez 300 dpi image, what you?ll end up with is a hi-rez version of a lo-rez picture.  (See, I can sound confusing, too!)

I try to never resave a JPG.  JPGs always lose pixels, even with zero compression.  JPG was designed to provide small file sizes so we can email pictures easily.  Go back to your image source ? the PSDs ? and save as PNGs for high quality, but since our problem is the size of the PDF file, it may not be worth the trouble if your JPGs were not compressed.

You can?t resize to 2513 x 2550 without distortion, but you CAN open a 2513 x 2550 image ?page?, then insert your picture.  Cropping will be automatic when you save the file.  If the image is smaller than your 2513 x 2550 ?template? when you insert it, then you know you have a lower-resolution image than what you want.  If it?s minor (like the 240-dpi file) it may print okay.  If you MUST use a photo with low resolution, you can sometimes salvage it by ?resampling?, then adding 2%-5% Gaussian blur.  You?ll lose crispness, but you also lose those pixelization jaggies.  All you can do is experiment a bit.

Two tricks I use: 1) for resizing or changing image type I use http://www.irfanview.com .  When a bunch of my original images were saved as TIFF (not recommended) I was able to ?batch convert? to PNG with this free program.  2) After all your messing around, view your PDF at 400%.  What you see is what you?ll get, albeit a smaller version.

Since our original problem was the excessive file size, you may still have to go back to Acrobat's "Reduce File Size" function.  I've created several books of images and can't recall ever going over 100MB.

Level 2 214 posts since
Aug 15, 2007
7. Oct 1, 2008 11:55 AM in response to: HorseshoePub

Yup, create a canvas and drop the pic into place.  Now, the original canvas will be saved, so anything hanging over the edges will be cropped.  You just need to size and/or move the image to where you want it with this "automatic cropping" in mind.

Tiffs are bad news.  Offset printers and other hoity-toity folks use them, but they're impractical for us. 

I've learned to think in pixels - not inches.  5"x8" page, for example, is 1500 x 2400 pixels, plus the bleed allowance (37.5 and 75 pixels).  Your 36" image at 300 dpi equals 10,800 pixels.  No wonder your PDF is over the limit!  That's why I gave you page specs of 2513 x 2550.  Size your images the same (or close), insert 'em, and save!

Level 2 214 posts since
Aug 15, 2007
9. Oct 1, 2008 12:19 PM in response to: HorseshoePub

Glad I can help!  (I'm a former confused newbie myself.)

I use a couple different programs for their special effects.  As long as the finished product can be saved as a 300-dpi PNG, it's good software.

The specs I gave you ARE for the oversized page.  You're going to lose 37.5 pixels from top, bottom, and opposite-the-spine when the book gets trimmed, so yup - take those full bleed pics right to the edge.

Heh - makin' picture books, bleedin' to the edge.  Could be a country/western song here.

Level 2 214 posts since
Aug 15, 2007
11. Oct 1, 2008 6:19 PM in response to: HorseshoePub

5 MB?!  You rock!  How do the images look when you view the PDF at 400%?

Might be able to come up with an old school Johnny Cash kinda deal.  It will require much beer.

Level 4 1,324 posts since
May 16, 2008
12. Oct 1, 2008 8:08 PM in response to: tinhorn

5 mb? May God help you

Not possible without losing quality.

If there were no images, I would say OK because recently I created a 100 page book which was only 700 kb and was approved by CS.

But with images, wow, though can be possible, lets see what CS replies.

Level 4 1,324 posts since
May 16, 2008
14. Oct 2, 2008 2:51 AM in response to: HorseshoePub

Which software you are using to convert it to pdf?

The problem lies there.

When I export a pdf, file size decreases not increases.

What is happening is you are exporting at the highest quality that is why the 200 mb size. When you are optimizing again , it is compressing the maximum, with web preview. So you are getting 5mb final size.

The problem lies with the pdf convertor, you need to check its export settings,in which keep resolution above 300 dpi, while compression to medium high.

That will do the trick, but I do not know free pdf converters provide these export settings or not.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...