Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

1,428 Views 8 Replies Last post: May 3, 2017 4:32 AM by ccassidy566 RSS
Level 0 5 posts since
Apr 20, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 20, 2017 6:30 AM

First Book - Page Limit question & general help

Hi,

I am based in the UK and I am currently creating a short children's book. There are 14 rhyming verses and there are going to be 7 double pages of graphcics that are currently being designed. Including the front and back covers, as well as the blank pages needed, it seems that my book is only going to be around 20 pages long.

On the site somewhere I read that the minumum page limit for a physical book to be uploaded is 24 pages or so.

- Can someone confirm this?

- If so, is there any way of me still uploading a childrens book that is only a short story with less pages than this?

I can add in a few extra blank pages if need be, but it is not something in particular that I would like to do.

My plan was to self publish to amazon using the self publsing site. I seen the CreateSpace offers a physical book upload with a print on demand service, and then you can get this uploaded to the amazon kindle store after.

- Can someone confirm the difference between the conversions available? Eg Conversion, Complex Conversion, Kindle for Kids Books conversions

- Why is the Childrens conversion more pricey than the other options available?

I also want to get opinions from people that have tried the self publishing using the tools on here.

- Did you find it easy to use the uploader for your book, eg the formatting and bleed and all that?

Many thanks,

Conor

Level 5 5,159 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Apr 20, 2017 6:49 AM in response to: ccassidy566
Re: First Book - Page Limit question & general help

The minimum page count is 24. The cover is a separate file, so do not count that in your page total. Do you have a title page, copyright page, dedication, etc? Those are possibilities for adding pages. But CS will not accept an interior file that is fewer than 24 pages.

I seen the CreateSpace offers a physical book upload with a print on demand service, and then you can get this uploaded to the amazon kindle store after.

- Can someone confirm the difference between the conversions available? Eg Conversion, Complex Conversion, Kindle for Kids Books conversions

- Why is the Childrens conversion more pricey than the other options available?

I would avoid CS's Kindle offer, in any form. Kindle books are published through Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) at http://kdp.amazon.com. You're better off going directly to KDP instead of letting CS send your files over there (where you'd still have to log in to complete the publishing process).

Kindle Kids Book Creator creates a fixed-format ebook file, where each page of the print book becomes an image in the ebook. It's good for kids' books where there isn't a lot of text, but fixed-format doesn't work well for mostly text books. As to the other options, CS's basic (free) ebook offer just involves them sending the print-ready PDF files over to KDP. PDFs very rarely convert well to ebook format, expecially if there are images. The Complex Conversion is probably an actual conversion to Kindle format (.mobi), which is why the charge, but I have no idea if they do much tweaking of the resulting file, which is usually required after an automatic conversion in order to ensure that the book looks good on ereading devices.

- Did you find it easy to use the uploader for your book, eg the formatting and bleed and all that?

I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to. You have to upload a complete, print-ready interior file (preferably PDF). There is no option to make adjustments to the file after you've uploaded it. If something isn't right in the online proof or you receive an error, you must go back to your source file and correct it, generate a new PDF, and reupload the new file.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Level 5 19,053 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Apr 20, 2017 8:48 AM in response to: ccassidy566

There are no book police, and the only submission guidelines you must meet are CS's . . . read PDF Submission Specifications.

That said:

The inside front and back covers must be blank, and there is no way to even try to have content printed on them.  And the inside cover is not a page of the book.  The first page is the first page of the interior PDF, nominally 1, but it is typically left unnumbered (blind folio).  Blank pages do not have page numbers, but must be accounted for in the pagination (this is covered in the PDF Submission Specifications.

The traditional page order is:

Half title (optional)--Recto (right hand, odd)

blank/Frontispiece (optional)--Verso (left hand, even)

full title page--Recto

copyright--Verso

Dedication--Recto

blank--Verso

ToC--Recto

Illustrations--Recto

Tables--Recto

Foreword--Recto

Preface--Recto

Acknowledgements--Recto

Introduction--Recto

Half title (optional)--Recto

blank (optional)--Verso

Text--Recto

Obviously, if you don't have some of that front matter, like a list of illustrations, you simply skip it.

You cannot have more than 2 consecutive blank pages, unless they are marked in someway indicating that they are intentionally blank.

As I said as long as CS accepts your book, you can fiddle with the front matter all you want, however, most people who will read your book, will have seen books before, and will have an expectation of what it looks like.  You change things at your own peril.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Jan 17, 2010
5. May 3, 2017 2:15 AM in response to: ccassidy566

ccassidy566 wrote:

If I use CreateSpace for Self-Publishing a physical copy of the book:

1. If someone orders a print version of the book from CS, it will be sent from the US no matter where it is ordered from?

Any order placed directly through CreateSpace will be printed in and shipped from the US. Any order from Amazon.co.uk or one of the European Amazon sites will be printed in either the UK or the Continent.

2. If I then upload the book to the Kindle Direct Publishing for e-books, I will then have my physical book and E-books being sold on separate sites

Your reporting and management of your titles will be on separate sites, but both editions will be available on the Amazon websites, if you select those sales channels. If the title, subtitle, and author name are identical for your paperback and ebook editions, Amazon will link them so that they appear on the same sales page.

3. If I use CreateSpace for the physical copy, can I also then use the Amazon self-publishing for Physical books also? (https://kdp.amazon.com/help/topic/A37Z49E2DDQPP3?ref_=gs#publish_paperback)

- Which option would be best between CreateSpace and Amazon Paperback on KDP?

There is no point to using both CreateSpace and KDP Print. This would result in two sales pages for the same book, with two different ISBNs. This would only confuse your potential customers, and a confused potential customer is more likely to just find another book. That said, KDP Print does not offer proof copies, author copies, or distribution beyond Amazon (at least not yet). Since you're in the UK, the first two may not be issues for you, but the third may be. CreateSpace's Expanded Distribution will get your paperback listed in other online retailers, like Barnes & Noble and the Book Depository.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

New self-publishing forum

Jan 17, 2010
7. May 3, 2017 3:22 AM in response to: ccassidy566

You can see what your minimum list price would have to be for any given page count if you select EDC using this calculator: https://www.createspace.com/Products/Book/#content6.

If you're not happy with that minimum list price, yes, you could have the same book as two projects with CS. Or you could use IngramSpark, which pays higher publisher revenues (and not royalties, like CS does) for distribution beyond Amazon. In that case, you would just have the one ISBN for your book, since IS distributes to Amazon and beyond, even wider than CS does. IS also has printing facilities in the UK, so you could order copies at cost without high shipping and long shipping times. The caveat is that IS has a $49 title setup fee, and $25/file revision fees. They also don't have as much customer support for publishers as CS does, as IS is geared toward working with publishers who can produce print-ready PDF files that meet their more strict specifications.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...