Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

272 Views 14 Replies Last post: Apr 21, 2017 11:34 AM by dovergraye RSS
Level 1 87 posts since
Nov 1, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 19, 2017 9:11 AM

Having issues with formatting my 8.5x11 portrait children's book...help!

Hi everyone...it's been a long time since I've posted here!  I'm working on a new endevour, and having lots of difficulties with formatting my children's picture book.  Specifically, setting the page size and margins and gutters for bleeds correctly.  Nothing I do seems to come out right. Pulling my hair out, lol!

Can anyone give me specific measurements to put in, as well as any other hints or suggestions on getting this project moving in the right direction?

Level 5 18,160 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Apr 19, 2017 9:37 AM in response to: dovergraye
Re: Having issues with formatting my 8.5x11 portrait children's book...help!

Download my free PDF Bleeds.  It should help. 

If your trim size is 8.5 x 11, then your page size, even if only one image bleeds 1 side, must be 8.625 x 11.25.  In Word .625 will be rounded to .63, don't worry. 

If an image stops before it bleeds, within/before 0.25 of the trim line . . . in other words, it stops inside the 0.25 out of live margin . . . that includes a white border, it must either be made a tad smaller so that it is at least 0.25 away from the trim line, or a tad bigger, so that it bleeds.

In Word, you must disable Word's image "compression."  Word does not compress images, it downsizes them. I have seen 300 dpi images downsized to 96 dpi!  You must do this before the images are inserted. 

Also, do not use Word's Save as PDF feature. It will downsize images to 200 dpi. Use a PDF conversion program, Acrobat ($$$, not Reader), or one of the free PDF conversion programs, like primoPDF, doPDF, cutePDF, PDF995: these programs require that you set the output/trim/paper size or else it will default to 8.5 x 11. 

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Sep 5, 2009
3. Apr 19, 2017 9:39 AM in response to: dovergraye

I should add that there are many free PDF on my free page that might be helpful.

W

Sep 5, 2009
5. Apr 20, 2017 8:58 AM in response to: dovergraye

Several times I have started a guide to self-publishing a book.  My first effort was 440 pages at 8 x 10, the second 826 at a hair under 8 x 10.  Neither is complete.  (Alas, neither is finished.)   But would you read 826 pages?

There is so much detail, and it's hard to cover it all.

The good thing about the forum is that you can ask those questions that aren't covered elsewhere . . . in fact, you can ask questions that are covered a gazillion times elsewhere.

Gutter . . . one of the amazing things is that while there is a technical jargon for printing, typography, book design, digital images, etc., there are glaring instances of either misusing some of those words, or making up new words!  The gutter is the space between two blocks of text (it is where the cleaning chemicals ran off when blocks of type were clieaned periordically during the printing process: gutter usually means, then, the combined inside margins bewteen two facing blocks of text; column gutter is the space between two columns of text; header gutter is the combined space between the heads blocks of text on two head to head pages (we don't use that), etc. Word "compresses" images by default, but it does no such thing, it downsizes them (e.g. 300 dpi > 200 dpi); etc.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 3 1,736 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
7. Apr 20, 2017 3:07 PM in response to: dovergraye

dovergraye wrote:

I probably wouldn't read that many pages, I would lose my mind, hahaha!'m crossing all fingers that this file is the one...

I know! A book that length, my lips would fall off halfway through.

Sep 5, 2009
8. Apr 20, 2017 3:12 PM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

Ah . . . just wait for the movie!

W

Sep 5, 2009
12. Apr 21, 2017 9:08 AM in response to: dovergraye

Whoa . . . not so fast.

CS's ReviewLetters are written in a form of Lower Babylonian cuneiform, which only one or two members here are fluent in.

The 0.375" is actually the Bleed (0.125") + the out-of-live margin (0.25") = 0.375"

Take a look at Bleeds.

If your page size/trim size is 8.5 x 11, and if even just one image bleeds on one side, the entire book must be set to bleed and all pages must be the same size (8.625 x 11.25).

• You would make your book's pages 8.625 x 11.25.
  • You would select that your book bleeds:

• You would select the trim as 8.5 x 11

If you have content/image that enters the out-of-live margin but does not bleed, that will block the book.  Either the image stays inside/before the out-of-live margin 0.25" that extends around every page, or it must extend beyond the edges of the page by 0.125" (bleed margin).

If the site become too full of spam, come on over to SelfPublishingForum, it's new, today!

Walton

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...