Skip navigation

This Question is Not Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
214 Views 10 Replies Last post: Apr 23, 2017 12:42 PM by dovergraye RSS
Level 1 87 posts since
Nov 1, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 19, 2017 11:33 AM

Problems with children's book interior formatting

Hi everyone...I haven't posted here in years, but I'm back with a brand new project, which is driving me up the wall,

I'm using Microsoft Word and blank the CreateSpace template.  My problem has been getting the margins and gutter to show up accurately for bleeds. 

1.Text alignment always takes over, and I don't know how to shut it off.  The text is within the pictures so no wrapping is needed.

2. The outer margins appear as totally uneaven, and the gutter appears as far smaller, even though it's set at .38 (from .375 - word rounds numbers up to double digits) and the margins are set at .13 (again rounded up from .125)

3.  I've consulted Word techs about this, and I was told to manipulate the ruler to make it fit.  Bad advice, doesn't work.

3.  My page size is set at  8.63x11.25, and illustrations are 8.5x11

What am I doing wrong? 

Level 5 15,032 posts since
May 4, 2008
1. Apr 21, 2017 5:41 AM in response to: dovergraye
Re: Problems with children's book interior formatting

dovergraye wrote:

1.Text alignment always takes over, and I don't know how to shut it off.  The text is within the pictures so no wrapping is needed.

2. The outer margins appear as totally uneaven, and the gutter appears as far smaller, even though it's set at .38 (from .375 - word rounds numbers up to double digits) and the margins are set at .13 (again rounded up from .125)

3.  I've consulted Word techs about this, and I was told to manipulate the ruler to make it fit.  Bad advice, doesn't work.

Set the margins to zero. Also set the gutter to zero.

3.  My page size is set at  8.63x11.25, and illustrations are 8.5x11

What am I doing wrong? 

Illustrations should also be 8.63 x 11.25". Text within the images must be 0.375" minimum away from the edge of the image.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Level 5 18,160 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Apr 21, 2017 7:29 AM in response to: dovergraye

If I understand the problem, Michelle's advice gets your images right . . . if you have text you'll have to use Paragraphs > Indents and Spacing to control how you fit the text to the page and honor the margin requirements.

If the forum fills up with spam, come on over to SelfPublishingForum, it's new, today!

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Sep 5, 2009
3. Apr 21, 2017 7:34 AM in response to: dovergraye

Almost forgot . . . CS templates are problematic.  Since you've started out using one, just be aware that there could be problems. Second, Word and images.  Word will try to downsize your images from 300 dpi to say 200 dpi (I had one client's book where Word downsized the images to 96 dpi).  Word calls this "compression" . . . it ain't.  You must disable it before you insert images into your file. And do not use Word's Save as PDF feature, it will downsize your image to 200 dpi.  Use a PDF conversion program. Although Acrobat ($$$) is the gold standard, many of the free PDF conversion programs work well, doPDF, primoPDF, cutePDF, PDF995 . . .

Walton

Sep 5, 2009
5. Apr 22, 2017 8:52 AM in response to: dovergraye

The big problem here is spam!  Clearly the moderator aren't moderating.  Whether you say the review letter/CS is wrong or not, CS doesn't care.

Come over to selfpublishingforum.com, we're new as of yesterday.  So you'll be a first or second member. 

Walton

Sep 5, 2009
7. Apr 22, 2017 9:12 AM in response to: dovergraye

But it bumps things from the board.  Since this thread seems to be here and intact, I'd say things are working okay . . . excepting the spam.  I have had several posts moderated over the last few weeks.  They show up on my screen, but are not visible to anyone else.  Some get approved in between 1 and 72 hours, Some disappear forever.  I presume it's because I often have images and links in my posts.  It feels personal when I've spent several hours answer a post (e.g. when I run a test or two before posting), but I know it's not.

Walton

Sep 5, 2009
9. Apr 22, 2017 12:40 PM in response to: dovergraye

My replies are still missing, as are your replies to them,

In the thread above, the posts are numbered in the upper left corners.  My posts in answer to your origianl post are numbers 2, 3, 5, 7.

I could be wrong, but you had to have seen number 3, 5, and 7 to have replied.

Walton

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...