Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
1,255 Views 6 Replies Last post: May 21, 2017 11:56 PM by Lorem_Ipsum RSS
Level 0 7 posts since
Mar 26, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

May 2, 2017 9:37 AM

Self-publishing and Awards

Hi everyone,

Recently, I have published a picture book for the children (age range 4-8):

https://www.amazon.com/Alice-sleeping-S-R-Pandi-Perumal/dp/0692877908/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493741634&sr=8-1&keywords=alice+is+sleeping

This is my first children book. I am old enough and I never grew in a house wherein people read me stories before I go to sleep. As a matter of fact, I never read any picture book for decades. Finally, when I decided to write, I did go through few books to see how people do things! I am a hardcore scientific researcher with solid publication background.

http://pandi-perumal.blogspot.com

I was trying to get in touch with few agencies that gives awards for picture books to see if my book would qualify. Strangely enough, they are all telling that they will not give awards for self-published books.

I wonder if anyone had a similar experience.

I thought getting an award or a recognition would boost the sale of the books.

Have you received any awards or recognition (especially for a picture book)? Who should I be targeting? Have you heard of any author who was recognized and awarded some prize?

Of course, I know how to use FB, LinkedIn, Twitter, and other social media for marketing.

By exploring on this issue, I found few issues:

a. some agencies charge an entry fee. This may be put off some authors

b. You need to know when, how, or where to apply

c. Apparently, these agencies ask more than 1 copies (~4-5?).

I thought why not create space has a database of awards or why not submit the books on our behalf. As a matter of fact, if the book sells very well, they are going to make money as well. Right? Anyways, it was my thinking!

Before decided to self-publish, I did approach some traditional publishers. Apparently, they take 6 months to read a picture book story, which hardly takes 5 minutes to read! Hypothetically, if they were not interested at the end of 6 months, I have to give another 6 months to another publisher. That was the reason why I am here!

If you any suggestion for recognition and awards for picture books that are self-published or if you have some marketing ideas or how you handle certain issues, please feel free to share with me!

Thank you

Level 4 2,562 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
1. May 2, 2017 9:44 AM in response to: Pandi
Re: Self-publishing and Awards

Hi Pandi,

Fellow scientist here. 

If you would like to boost sales of your book, forget the awards.  You'll have to do some marketing.

Think of it as: not so much Nobel prize, more like schmoozing with program directors at a conference. 

Stacy

Level 2 126 posts since
Jan 27, 2017
2. May 21, 2017 11:52 AM in response to: Pandi

If you are insistent on entering an awards competition there are many open to self-published individuals. Currently, the Bath Children's Novel award is taking entries, not sure of the requirements. A quick google search should help you find competitions open to self-published/indie authors.

Level 5 12,828 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
3. May 21, 2017 12:37 PM in response to: Pandi

A lot of book award programs that will accept self-published works have little or no credibility -- or are outright scams. I would avoid the majority of them, but this is one of the few that I'd consider worthwhile:

http://ibpabenjaminfranklinawards.com/

(Disclosure: I am a long-time member of the IBPA.)

There are currently six categories in which children's picture books may be entered.

Level 1 68 posts since
Jul 2, 2016
4. May 21, 2017 1:39 PM in response to: Lighthouse24

Lighthouse24 wrote:

A lot of book award programs that will accept self-published works have little or no credibility -- or are outright scams. I would avoid the majority of them, but this is one of the few that I'd consider worthwhile:

http://ibpabenjaminfranklinawards.com/

(Disclosure: I am a long-time member of the IBPA.)

There are currently six categories in which children's picture books may be entered.

How preposterous to suggest that there are sex categories in which children's picture books may be entered. And did you say “entered”?? How naught really…

OP, BTW some info is at this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_literary_awards

Level 2 126 posts since
Jan 27, 2017
5. May 21, 2017 1:49 PM in response to: some1

Not sure where you see the word "sex". In both Light's post and your quote, I see the word six...

Level 4 2,525 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
6. May 21, 2017 11:56 PM in response to: Azriel

some1 tried to be clever.

some1 failed.

The End

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...